The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Daniel Shaver: Police officer not guilty of murder

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Not sure if there is a topic on this did a search but didn't find anything, but this happened in 2016 and it's disturbing in my mind, the body cam of the officer is available online on YouTube but I don't want to post it as it's hard enough to watch already. I will post the TMZ video where I fully agree with what Harvey Levin had to say, but beware(Graphic) it does show video of the body cam in parts and the final shooting.

A police officer charged with the murder of an unarmed man in the US state of Arizona has been found not guilty.

Philip Brailsford shot and killed 26-year-old Daniel Shaver in the hallway of a hotel in early 2016.

Bodycam footage of the incident, released after the verdict, showed Mr Shaver on his knees asking officers not to shoot him just before he was killed.

Mr Brailsford was acquitted of murder and a lesser manslaughter charge.

Mr Shaver was shot five times with a semi-automatic rifle as he crawled towards the officers, sobbing.

Prosecutors argued that the officer had responded appropriately, according to his training, when Mr Shaver reached towards his waistband - because he believed there was a concealed firearm there.

'Do not make a mistake'

Mr Shaver was confronted by police responding to a report of a man pointing a gun out of his hotel room window in January 2016.

The police report said he showed guests in his hotel room a rifle he used for work, killing birds.

It later emerged that the rifle was an airsoft or pellet gun, rather than a genuine firearm.

The report also noted that the three occupants of the room had been drinking together, though one man had left by the time police arrived.

Bodycam footage of the shooting was not released to the public until after the verdict.

In it, Mr Shaver can be seen exiting his room in front of armed officers, and immediately lies down on the ground.

"Listen to my instructions and do not make a mistake," he is told. There follows a series of instructions on how to move his arms and legs, which he seems unable to follow.

He is then told to push himself into a kneeling position, and while doing so, he puts his hands behind his back - resulting in shouts from police to put his hands in the air.

"You do that again, and we're shooting you," officers say.

Mr Shaver responds by saying: "Please don't shoot me... I'm trying to do what you tell me."

A sobbing Mr Shaver is then told to crawl toward the police, and while doing so, moves his hand towards his waist.

Mr Brailsford shot him five times with an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle.

No weapon found

The initial police report said the movement was "a very similar motion to someone drawing a pistol".

But it also said that Mr Shaver's shorts had fallen around his legs, leaving his underwear exposed. His movement "was also consistent with attempting to pull his shorts up as they were falling off".

"No other purposes for this movement appear to be viable," it said.

No weapon was found on the body, but Mr Bailsford said he believed Mr Shaver was reaching for a weapon in his waistband.

Mr Brailsford told the court: "If this situation happened exactly as it did that time, I would have done the same thing," Arizona Central reported.

The Associated Press news agency reports that Mr Shaver's widow, Laney Sweet, shook her head when the verdict was read and left without speaking to reporters.

Both Ms Sweet and Mr Shaver's parents have filed wrongful-death lawsuits against the city of Mesa, it adds.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42277309

farked up. the states is so militarized it's insane. The guy is face down hands out, legs crossed. just go handcuff him then, problem solved. 

Put your hands up, legs crossed and crawl to me without changing anything or I shoot you, wtf.

7 minutes ago, inane said:

farked up. the states is so militarized it's insane. The guy is face down hands out, legs crossed. just go handcuff him then, problem solved. 

Put your hands up, legs crossed and crawl to me without changing anything or I shoot you, wtf.

This is exactly my same reaction, how is someone supposed to crawl with their legs crossed? It made no sense you physically can't, yet that's supposedly protocol.....

11 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Any reason why the video wasn't use as evidence?

It was used during the trial, but when Daniel was crawling to the officer he went to grab his shorts because they were failing off, the officer said he was scared for his officers and himself not knowing if Daniel was grabbing for a gun.

On and on it goes,

I personally know people that moved out of that country 30years ago, the one they were born in, to get away from all the guns and violents.It has gotten even worse according to them, and the Boob they elected as a so called President has just escalated the violence and hatred,EVEN IN OTHER COUNTRIES.

HASHTAG,SAD!

2 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Not sure if there is a topic on this did a search but didn't find anything, but this happened in 2016 and it's disturbing in my mind, the body cam of the officer is available online on YouTube but I don't want to post it as it's hard enough to watch already. I will post the TMZ video where I fully agree with what Harvey Levin had to say, but beware(Graphic) it does show video of the body cam in parts and the final shooting.

A police officer charged with the murder of an unarmed man in the US state of Arizona has been found not guilty.

Philip Brailsford shot and killed 26-year-old Daniel Shaver in the hallway of a hotel in early 2016.

Bodycam footage of the incident, released after the verdict, showed Mr Shaver on his knees asking officers not to shoot him just before he was killed.

Mr Brailsford was acquitted of murder and a lesser manslaughter charge.

Mr Shaver was shot five times with a semi-automatic rifle as he crawled towards the officers, sobbing.

Prosecutors argued that the officer had responded appropriately, according to his training, when Mr Shaver reached towards his waistband - because he believed there was a concealed firearm there.

'Do not make a mistake'

Mr Shaver was confronted by police responding to a report of a man pointing a gun out of his hotel room window in January 2016.

The police report said he showed guests in his hotel room a rifle he used for work, killing birds.

It later emerged that the rifle was an airsoft or pellet gun, rather than a genuine firearm.

The report also noted that the three occupants of the room had been drinking together, though one man had left by the time police arrived.

Bodycam footage of the shooting was not released to the public until after the verdict.

In it, Mr Shaver can be seen exiting his room in front of armed officers, and immediately lies down on the ground.

"Listen to my instructions and do not make a mistake," he is told. There follows a series of instructions on how to move his arms and legs, which he seems unable to follow.

He is then told to push himself into a kneeling position, and while doing so, he puts his hands behind his back - resulting in shouts from police to put his hands in the air.

"You do that again, and we're shooting you," officers say.

Mr Shaver responds by saying: "Please don't shoot me... I'm trying to do what you tell me."

A sobbing Mr Shaver is then told to crawl toward the police, and while doing so, moves his hand towards his waist.

Mr Brailsford shot him five times with an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle.

No weapon found

The initial police report said the movement was "a very similar motion to someone drawing a pistol".

But it also said that Mr Shaver's shorts had fallen around his legs, leaving his underwear exposed. His movement "was also consistent with attempting to pull his shorts up as they were falling off".

"No other purposes for this movement appear to be viable," it said.

No weapon was found on the body, but Mr Bailsford said he believed Mr Shaver was reaching for a weapon in his waistband.

Mr Brailsford told the court: "If this situation happened exactly as it did that time, I would have done the same thing," Arizona Central reported.

The Associated Press news agency reports that Mr Shaver's widow, Laney Sweet, shook her head when the verdict was read and left without speaking to reporters.

Both Ms Sweet and Mr Shaver's parents have filed wrongful-death lawsuits against the city of Mesa, it adds.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42277309

That cop was just looking for a reason to shoot and kill someone. Even when he does reach for his waist he isn't shot until after his hand returns and it's clear in that low quality video the kids hand was empty. At the very least this cop should have been fired.

It's mind-boggling how individuals such as this can be given access to deadly weapons and be given the power to use them seemingly without repercussion.  It's tragic in itself, and also such a shame that the <1% of cops like this idiot are the ones that end up being the most publicized because of their inability to handle their job.

1 hour ago, Sweathog said:

As far as I could tell Daniel was panicking when the cop started yelling, and seemed to have trouble following the instructions. Shouldn't the training the cops have, take into account that suspects will panic from time to time?

The guy was likely very drunk too.  Why wasn’t the guy cuffed, with hands behind his back?

11 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

That cop was just looking for a reason to shoot and kill someone. Even when he does reach for his waist he isn't shot until after his hand returns and it's clear in that low quality video the kids hand was empty. At the very least this cop should have been fired.

That's also what I noticed you can see his hand about to go back down to the ground as he's being shot, it's tough to watch.

Archived