The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Eriksson w/retention

Yes he has NTC NMC, but Sedins are not around for too long and he cant be happy with his play here so cant see him refusing a chance to play for a playoff caliber team. Eriksson is not fitting in well for his cap hit and our direction as a team. Do teams value him at his current deal of 6m, I doubt it. But what if we retained some salary, what would his value be at 4.5-5m?

Do we have to retain for all years remaining on a contract? My guess is yes but figured I would ask the cdc faithful for the informed proper answer.

What teams could use Eriksson? Playoff teams needing a good 2 way player with good experience and reliable in his own end, which is key for playoff hockey. Some teams have quite a bit of cap space.

I dont think there would be a huge line of teams, but I think some would be interested. I am interested in hearing what you people have to say.

3 minutes ago, Yotes said:

Yes he has NTC NMC, but Sedins are not around for too long and he cant be happy with his play here so cant see him refusing a chance to play for a playoff caliber team. Eriksson is not fitting in well for his cap hit and our direction as a team. Do teams value him at his current deal of 6m, I doubt it. But what if we retained some salary, what would his value be at 4.5-5m?

Do we have to retain for all years remaining on a contract? My guess is yes but figured I would ask the cdc faithful for the informed proper answer.

What teams could use Eriksson? Playoff teams needing a good 2 way player with good experience and reliable in his own end, which is key for playoff hockey. Some teams have quite a bit of cap space.

I dont think there would be a huge line of teams, but I think some would be interested. I am interested in hearing what you people have to say.

Yes we do. Unfortunately we can't retain salary again until Hansen's contract is up this summer, as teams can only retain 2 contracts at a time, and we're paying both Hansen and Luongo.

1 minute ago, HC20.0 said:

Yes we do. Unfortunately we can't retain salary again until Hansen's contract is up this summer, as teams can only retain 2 contracts at a time, and we're paying both Hansen and Luongo.

I thought it was 2 contracts also, but was correctly not long ago that it is 3 salary retentions and 2 contract buyouts.

If LE was performing like Vanek right now (defensive faults and all) I could see some playoff teams kicking tires on him - as it is now, I don't know who'd be interested unless we were to overpay them to take his contract off our hands and then what's the point? 

14 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

If LE was performing like Vanek right now (defensive faults and all) I could see some playoff teams kicking tires on him - as it is now, I don't know who'd be interested unless we were to overpay them to take his contract off our hands and then what's the point? 

He had a good stretch of 10 games with the twins, then we changed the line for some reason. He should be with the twins to try and show some signs of life.

We could retain I would be okay with it but you are correct we cant retain 50% or take on a horrid contract back

His contract won't hurt this team going forward, and his play isn't really that bad. His offence is pretty dry, but overall he is not hurting this team. Vet presence to take some of the pressure off young guys. Sedins won't be around forever so their money will likely go to the kids for bridge contracts that'll end when Eriksson's contract ends. If we can get rid of him with no salary retention, sure. But I'd say just hold onto him if the only way to move him is to keep salary.

11 minutes ago, shazzam said:

Eriksson will be more attractive after we pay his signing bonus for next season. That only leaves 14 mill for the duration of his contact. Of course his play needs at hold up or better yet, get better

That is true, plus budget teams would take on his cap hit with the lower salary payout remaining.

18 hours ago, Yotes said:

I would gladly do this in a heartbeat.

I think we'd have to retain, at least, 30% to attract suitors. 

I'm going to go against the grain and say we hold onto Eriksson. 

Besides a trade being challenging given his clauses and questionable contract length, right now his stock is at an all-time low to the point where we pretty much have to give up more just to move his contract. As part of that, it'd be pretty inevitable to include a retention which is going to hurt us going forward. We don't really need the cap space, so there is no real *need* for at least another year or two.  During his stint with the twins he did show some pretty darn good play, and he's generally not a liability out there even when he's not scoring.

I can't help but think that he has the capacity to come back to some degree for us.  I don't see any reason why he will just drop off a cliff and completely forget what he's learned in a dozen years in the NHL. 

I know the contract amount and length is brutal, and that his play has been deeply disappointing, but that doesn't mean we fire sale him and hurt our team going forward to get rid of him.

Not sure the team can retain signing bonus money. Which in Eriksson's cause makes up over 90% of his contract. His NHL salary is only 1 mil a season.

Pretty sure that's the way it works with other trades like the Subban trade, and a couple of others where they waited until the bonus money was paid.

17 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Not sure the team can retain signing bonus money. Which in Eriksson's cause makes up over 90% of his contract.

You are 100% correct and this is main reason why Carey Price and a few others organized their contracts in that same way.   

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You are 100% correct and this is main reason why Carey Price and a few others organized their contracts in that same way.   

Yeah, that and the funny dip in salary for the 2020/2021 season, the CBA year.

Signing bonuses are paid July 1, guaranteed money.

Archived