The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On acceptance...

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

Here's another bump of an old fav. It's time again for a lil' team-positivity. Yeah..we have a pending cap-crunch, & some hard decisions soon arrive. But I bet 10-15 teams have cap/personnel probs at their doorstep. The COVID-mayhem has made every darn thing feel like a gambling crap-shoot.

There's just too much whining, that pops up too frequently(mostly on cap/potential asset-loss).

Consider the Blue Jackets as an example. Went all-in, Spring 2019(kept Bob, acquire names like Dzing & Duch, win a lousy 1 round). Imagine how many assets they prob squandered within a few short months. If JB rolled dice to such degree, what would the masses/media do to him? Perish the thought.

It's simply too disproportionate, in our puck-obsessed market. At a certain point, it likely works against our team, by undermining the players/FO to go all-in, for fears of blow-back if any season's plans run adrift.

Love our fanbases's enthusiasm & passion; but the skepticism, bashing & cynicism needs an equal measure of patience, balance & reasonable optimism. JMHO.

• Cheers 1

If a true Canuck fan doesn't speak out about bad moves and bad picks, then he/she isn't a true Canuck fan...been watch'n them for 50 years and when they F up, I will not be censored...like so many are in today's politics....free speech is a long forgotten freedom because it doesn't exist in today's society. 

Fall in line and be a sheep....how dare you not follow our rhetoric.

....having said this....nothing gets my blood boiling more than incompetent referees that make up calls against our boys.

Edited by Pete M
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

• 3 months later...

Patience & acceptance are in order. We had the best run of the Cdn-7.

If we slide back a bit this coming season, add another top-10 to the stash. Nice.

Stick LouiE in the AHL, & buy him out next off-season. Then loads of $$$ off the books from expiring contracts. We can handle our 3 key signings.

It's all shaping up in decent fashion. Hope CDC'ers see the bigger pic.

• 6 months later...

In this season of league-sanctioned anarchy, of course the weasels & whiners surface. Book ends from Hell: A ridiculous sched outa' the gate, with a COVID-crunch, apocalyptic, final 3 wks, for good measure.

So this is when the knives come out, from a twisted bunch professing to be fans? Absolutely lame & lamentable. What a time to choose to fly poisonous & treacherous banners.

I'm behind this team & JB. We'll pocket a great pick & bounce back next season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

In this season of league-sanctioned anarchy, of course the weasels & whiners surface. Book ends from Hell: A ridiculous sched outa' the gate, with a COVID-crunch, apocalyptic, final 3 wks, for good measure.

So this is when the knives come out, from a twisted bunch professing to be fans? Absolutely lame & lamentable. What a time to choose to fly poisonous & treacherous banners.

I'm behind the team and I won't let JB hide behind them. Get rid... B)

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 2:56 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Here's another bump of an old fav. It's time again for a lil' team-positivity. Yeah..we have a pending cap-crunch, & some hard decisions soon arrive. But I bet 10-15 teams have cap/personnel probs at their doorstep. The COVID-mayhem has made every darn thing feel like a gambling crap-shoot.

There's just too much whining, that pops up too frequently(mostly on cap/potential asset-loss).

Consider the Blue Jackets as an example. Went all-in, Spring 2019(kept Bob, acquire names like Dzing & Duch, win a lousy 1 round). Imagine how many assets they prob squandered within a few short months. If JB rolled dice to such degree, what would the masses/media do to him? Perish the thought.

It's simply too disproportionate, in our puck-obsessed market. At a certain point, it likely works against our team, by undermining the players/FO to go all-in, for fears of blow-back if any season's plans run adrift.

Love our fanbases's enthusiasm & passion; but the skepticism, bashing & cynicism needs an equal measure of patience, balance & reasonable optimism. JMHO.

Trading for Toffoli only to let him walk was a pretty big waste of assets though. Its not like Benning hasnt gone for it with disastrous results. He just usually does it on UFA day rather than trade deadline day.

There are not many cap maxed bottom feeding teams from what I can tell. Lots of teams have cap crunches coming for sure. But not many have been bottom feeders the whole time either.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Simple Jim has had seven years. Next!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Genuine question: how will your perception of Benning change IF the team underperforms next season?

• Vintage 1

20 hours ago, Josepho said:

Genuine question: how will your perception of Benning change IF the team underperforms next season?

Dude has kept this thread alive for 3 years regurgitating the same garbage.

It's not a discussion thread, it's just a train of excuses that keeps chugging along.

The same excuses that were made 3 years ago will be made 3 years from now.

We will forever have a "promising young prospect pool" so just "be patient" and "try to see the forest for the trees."

There's a difference between positivity and delusion.

Edited by kanucks25

On 6/12/2020 at 2:56 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

I'm going to limit my question to just this one, simply because this is your positivity thread.

I'm curious, how was our situation THAT different from Columbus:

• They did go all in  (traded their 1st and 2nd as well) for a one and done playoff round
  • Lost their starting goalie, top LW in Panarin and rental UFAs in Matt Duchene and Dzingel (in our case, two rounds, UFAs Toffoli, Tanev, Markstrom).
  • They also have young elite pieces (Laine, Jones) 
  • They are currently sitting, two years removed from that, near the bottom in the league with us. We are planning on not competing until two years have passed

Again, how is our situation that much different? I'd argue JB did roll the same dice. He ended up one round further than CBJ, but that's it.

And to your point, JB did exactly that, and the media praised him, fans were mostly praising the play. I was on board as well after the moves because the die was cast. But it was the offseason cap management, or lack thereof (it's a valid weakness of this regime that had real results) that turned that gamble into an unnecessary loss of players. Unlike CBJ, I believe JB had options. 

Again we see the same games played, but we have different opinions. That is alright. 

"grown quite tired of the anti-JB crowd(who mostly congregate at that other, unspeakable site, with their bashing-agenda)"

"this is one of the lowest levels humans can stoop to. So petty & childish"

"There's just too much whining....." 

".....from a twisted bunch professing to be fans?"

I won't even pretend to preach, I have fallen for the same rhetoric on the other side of this coin. But I'm hoping a person like yourself who wants to promote a more positive, less toxic environment can see how remarks like this don't exactly contribute to said environment and in fact just elicits similar responses from detractors and mirrors the same site you are professing to hate. 

Also at the end of the day, it's just sports. If it pisses me off too much to read the forums, I just step back and take a break.  I hope you also acknowledge, everyone is a fan of the team here. Otherwise why are we here? Some of us just care a lot more about the trajectory of this team than others.

I've accepted the fact that Benning, for better or worse, is our GM for the foreseeable future, so I end off my posts the way I usually do when I'm arguing with the pro-management fans. 

I really do hope you end up being right! 

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 1

On 4/29/2021 at 1:55 PM, Josepho said:

It's a fair question. Context matters. Anywho, taking a bit of a forum break for some wks, so will reply in June.

• 5 months later...

In the context of this *hitcago BlightHawk scandal, feel this is a very good time to reflect on what we actually have.

I'm not posting to claim Van is perfect, as some kinda' model-franchise. But would indeed put them in the upper echelon of league entries. They've long been an important part of Greater Van/BC, day to day lifestyle. For the most part, we've had players & teams that youth could admire. Dating back to Linden's stint as captain(aside from that potato chip airhead), then the twins, & handing off to Bo, feel we've had leaders on the team the greater public could have faith in. The kinda guys you can't help pulling for.

Originally with this thread I wanted to emphasize it's not only about W's & L's. Would we as fans accept a Cup(conditionally) if you had to accept Van also pulling similar antics(as the blackened Hawks of today)? No thanks.

With Canuck Place, weren't Van the first sports team to utilize their popularity with such an inspiring & pioneering initiative? Why don't we all as fans, take more time to reflect on, & appreciate what this club truly stands for?

At the other end of the integrity-spectrum, resides the likes of sociopaths & psychopathic, malicious weasels. It often appears these are the sort that make up many owners, political insiders, or privileged elites,(who perhaps oversee the running of pro sporting leagues?). To the sketchy opinion of these type of riff-raff, they likely maintain higher levels of disdain for any players or teams, that hold themselves to personally maintain higher standards of conduct in the public eye.

Due to the inherent corruption of this league, we might never see some honestly-run teams reach the ultimate goal. That unfortunate possibility shouldn't lead any well-run squad to compromise on the higher values, which should provide the foundation/basis for any successful sporting franchise.

For my money, the Vancouver Canucks are as aware of these important realities as any team out there.