The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On acceptance...

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

On 1/30/2018 at 5:57 PM, oldnews said:

Believe it or not, fanbases make a difference.

If you don't believe that, you don't realize the impact of a bunch of rabid, lunatic homerz like the ones that populate the seats and streets of Boston.

if you don't believe that, try taking in a Winnipeg Jets game, listen to their crowds abuse their oppoenents, and try to tell yourself that has no effect on their team on the ice.

The question is - do we want to remain a general collective of whingey, insufferable Province B-otches?  Snivelling cryptkeepers.  Douche-'army' brats.  Boring suits on cellphones.

Tear away at your team - or back it up.  Not that complicated, really.

I remember games in the past - humans attended, actually got excited, had a fn pulse.  The team wasn't the best, not usually even close, but nothing like the prevailing loser mentality the city now suffers under.

I'm not talking about pompoming anything the franchise does or ignoring obstacles to building a great team - but the tone of the city, like it or not, remains that of a losing 'culture' regardless of some years of contending.

Is that the inevitable result of losing for so long?  Who knows. In the end however, is it worth looking at as self-fulfilling?

Fans can wait for the team to set the tone for them, or it can embrace it's mediocre Winnipeg Jets (I'm talking about a few years ago), while they're still not that good, and be a place/building that opponents hate to play in.  Do you control the moves the team makes, the development of prospects, etc - no of course not.  But what do you control? 

I heard some NHLers take shots at Winnipeg recently - whiney drivel about not wanting to play there - the city being too cold for them, or not glitzy enough.  Wankers to the core those players are.  But why do they really not want to play there?

Here's why:

"Best trade ever."

"Who's your captain?"

"Laine's better."

"Silver medal"

"Rollie, Rollie, Rollie"

Winnipeg's team / on-ice product is not the only thing about that city that is better than Vancouver.   The on-ice thing might change in a few years, but off the ice - they have some team spirit to that city (not just present when they're winning/contending) that this place fundamentally lacks - and needs to get its act together, that is unless we're satisfied with out loser contributions.  Not sure if its in the culture out here, but some of that really wouldn't hurt Vancouver's (general) 'poor-me' disposition. 

That, pretty much in a nutshell, is why I'm such a gd crusty bastard in general when it comes to this mopey, snivelling, self-hating/loathing dynamic.

Don't settle for it. It's not good enough. 

And then maybe there will be grounds to complain about a losing team - at which point, you probably won't be complaining in any event, because that isn't good enough.  It's pointless.  And if the criticisms aren't informed or constructive enough to improve on what is - absolutely pointless.

I think people who have been through enough losing, ironically, get this.  People who delude themselves into believing they are somehow entitled to a winner - don't.

Of course, it's not that simple - there are all types, positive, negative, pompoms and critics and everything in between (and in the end, no individual is even that simple) - but the basic point - the general tendencies, hold water imo.  But perhaps the point is this: maybe Winnipeg actually 'deserves' a winner.

Sad thing is your right... heck our fans at games cheer when we score, fight, or get a big hit. 

Opposed to cheering to help get players pumped to do it, Montreal, Toronto, and a lot of others do it but unless it's in the playoffs there's hardly any buzz at all that you'd feel in other arena's that have a feel of electricity in the air. Same thing at Lion's games..

Why? I have no idea but somehow i hope it changes as the "extra player" as they say can make a lot of difference.

3 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Sad thing is your right... heck our fans at games cheer when we score, fight, or get a big hit. 

Opposed to cheering to help get players pumped to do it, Montreal, Toronto, and a lot of others do it but unless it's in the playoffs there's hardly any buzz at all that you'd feel in other arena's that have a feel of electricity in the air. Same thing at Lion's games..

Why? I have no idea but somehow i hope it changes as the "extra player" as they say can make a lot of difference.

I get crapped on by CDC for it but I've been saying it for years.  Canuck crowds are lame.  Seen games in Toronto & Vegas and it's night and day atmosphere.  Everyone here is so quiet.  Every time the crowd doesn't even cheer a good PK in Van it makes me mad.  At least the crowd does step up in the playoffs.  It's like, the real fans actually spend money for those games.

• Cheers 2

On 7/2/2019 at 3:03 PM, CanadianRugby said:

It's a good idea to take a look at what you're gonna be racing against. 

That's a separate matter. That's more awareness. This thread(& that quote) was referring to acceptance, within the context of the "5 stages of grieving", first put forward in the 1960's(I believe)work by psychologist/writer Elizabeth Kubler Ross.

1-anger 2-denial(almost interchangeable) 3-bargaining (as in.."Oh Lord, I'll eat healthy veggies if you make this terminal illness go away!") 4-depression...

& finally, of course, #5 ACCEPTANCE

She correctly asserted that it doesn't necc have to be in order, & our crazy heads might go through all 5 in one day!

But for the fanbase/CDC'ers contemplating our 50 yrs of franchise existence, & finally coming to terms with the 2011 rip-off(!)..Imho, acceptance is a good place to be.

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

That's a separate matter. That's more awareness. This thread(& that quote) was referring to acceptance, within the context of the "5 stages of grieving", first put forward in the 1960's(I believe)work by psychologist/writer Elizabeth Kubler Ross.

1-anger 2-denial(almost interchangeable) 3-bargaining (as in.."Oh Lord, I'll eat healthy veggies if you make this terminal illness go away!") 4-depression...

& finally, of course, #5 ACCEPTANCE

She correctly asserted that it doesn't necc have to be in order, & our crazy heads might go through all 5 in one day!

But for the fanbase/CDC'ers contemplating our 50 yrs of franchise existence, & finally coming to terms with the 2011 rip-off(!)..Imho, acceptance is a good place to be.

giphy.gif

Looks like our cast of beauts are finally turning the corner. In short order, the dissers & skeptics will be clamouring & whining for space, as they try to drag their slack, jello-larda$$es aboard a rolling bandwagon!

I hope the haters, trolls, bought-&-paid-bashers, navel-gazers & hand-wringers can come to some level of Acceptance..because the CANUCKS are back!

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Cheers 2

• 4 weeks later...

I've grown quite tired of the anti-JB crowd(who mostly congregate at that other, unspeakable site, with their bashing-agenda)

From my own pov, from 2014 until today:

1- We never tanked any season..in spirit of competition, always tried hard

2- Treated almost all vets with respect

3- Properly honoured the twins for 2 decades of dedication

4- 5 yrs of descent should be blamed on lousy drafting, from about 2006~2012

6- SURE improved that lousy drafting record! Didn't rely on lotto ball bounces either.

So here we are, a half-decade from the time JB took over. I'm really excited to watch the team that he has built. Although Bo was MG's nice move, would say it's appropriate to completely define this(now) as JB's creation.

& the past couple seasons(going in) I've been EQUALly excited to watch our farm/youth in various leagues progress. In 2019-20, that outlook might even trend up a bit.

Looking at all contracts/picks that belong to Van, don't think they've ever been so deep & balanced. Steady progress is arriving, & it should be sustainable for a longgg period.

• Cheers 1

On 7/2/2019 at 9:00 PM, CanadianRugby said:

I get crapped on by CDC for it but I've been saying it for years.  Canuck crowds are lame.  Seen games in Toronto & Vegas and it's night and day atmosphere.  Everyone here is so quiet.  Every time the crowd doesn't even cheer a good PK in Van it makes me mad.  At least the crowd does step up in the playoffs.  It's like, the real fans actually spend money for those games.

i agree but i think there are two types of cheering. when i went to canuck games with deb, she cheered loudly lots. when the canucks were struggling, she would vocally try to pump them up. i think that is the kind of fans you want to see. i’m the other kind of fan that enjoys the teams efforts but am not so vocal on the outside.  inside i’m cheering like crazy, much like when i watch the game at home. i admit vocal fans at a game are better for the players and the atmosphere, but maybe because i’m an old man now, my reactions are more subdued on the outside.  i think how we watch and react is in our nature. i certainly admire fans like deb who get so invested with the team and games and show it in kind and deed. 

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:56 PM, oldnews said:

Exactly.  And at that wage, you could put a down payment on a house by saving 300 hours of wages.

Now, it's 10x that - and at the same time, everything else also costs considerably more - in other words, the average wage nowadays will never enable you to own a home.  You inherit, you rent forever, or  maybe you go with the mini-home trend.

Or you could relocate to where homes are more affordable.

5 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Oh? Where's that?The Philippines? Ethiopia? Not an easy feat in North America (even western europe.)

Just because you grew up in a city, doesn't mean you need to live there.

I moved away from the GVA where I lived for half of my life. Partially by choice but not really. When your wife is 8 months pregnant and your employer closes your branch down and offers you the same job but in the neighbouring province and you have 2 days to say yes or no, it's not exactly what I call a choice. But the move actually gave me a raise and allowed me to purchase a modest house with a big yard for less than the price of the condo we owned and sold in New Westminster. Something I would have never owned had we stayed.

You have options that aren't overly exaggerated ones you list above.

Just now, RonMexico said:

Just because you grew up in a city, doesn't mean you need to live there.

I moved away from the GVA where I lived for half of my life. Partially by choice but not really. When your wife is 8 months pregnant and your employer closes your branch down and offers you the same job but in the neighbouring province and you have 2 days to say yes or no, it's not exactly what I call a choice. But the move actually gave me a raise and allowed me to purchase a modest house with a big yard for less than the price of the condo we owned and sold in New Westminster. Something I would have never owned had we stayed.

You have options that aren't overly exaggerated ones you list above.

In your particular case, yeah, that works (already have a job with a raise). But for most other people, moving means getting a different job (unlikely for higher pay), plus moving expenses, finding a new home in a new place... it's just not as easy as you're making it out to be.

On 1/30/2018 at 4:34 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Whenever I come to this site, usually meander over to 'Prospects' section, to soak up the(mostly) good news.

When one prospect trends downwards, often seems arguments follow, & a number of told-you-so's with comparative prospects pop up. Feel tired just reading this stuff.

Personal feelings & skater-metrics/data from Hell. Do such obsessions compensate for other things that people may desire, regret, etc. in their lives?

Makes ya wonder?

Here's an idea: (Acceptance #1)

Bo, Jake, Brock, OJ, EP

How 'bout we accept this as our half-decade of fine 1st R youth, to get this rebuild rolling? Let's stop looking over the ****ing fence at the neighbours shiny new Porsche.

I'd be fine never hearing, "We shoulda' picked so & so", ever again. We missed Jags(yeah)..but we pilfered Bure. Hell with it, man. Accept, or forever whine & whinge.

Have said it before..historically(in general) drafting has burned our a$*, but trades have often helped to salvage seasons. Perhaps we're finally hitting on the draft %,

as we long needed?

**Acceptance #2***

Why not simply ACCEPT we had 3 GREAT runs, but have yet to reach the summit? See it as three separate teams of solid young guys who lauch assaults on 3 separate Himalayan summits.

Whether it's equipment, accidents, Avalanche(!)..whatever? The guys gave all they had(each time), & just came up short. Even still, they entertained the whole Prov of BC, with each attempt, & I'm proud of every group.

When this team finally reaches the pinnacle, it'll be wonderful, but I'll also spare a thought for the other great players who first set out, giving their best.

Call it foolish, but I love this team(good & bad memories alike).

I see trolls(media/fans) trying to get digs in on point #2. To me, this is one of the lowest levels humans can stoop to. So petty & childish. Why stop there? Why not call random 3rd W inhabitants, & trot out national gdp & food production data, for comparisons' sake?

Suggest to all true fans of the Canucks..don't get lulled into this divisive bs. Cheer your team on unconditionally. Toss the revisionist(oh, we shoulda' drafted...) into the freeken g can.

Acceptance baby.. GCG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like your post .  Your an interesting poster.  But if everyone was like you then you would become boring . 

This isn't just CDC it's our whole world.

But I hear you. My rant would be the completely redundant overused so called humor like "real gud" and Mason, Ballard and a first that keeps popping up around here. Nothing like hearing the exact same joke 500 times.

When are we getting rid of that burrows thread btw? 

• Cheers 1

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:52 PM, kingofsurrey said:

I remember in 1981  /  82    getting a  construction labouring job for 17  bucks and hour....    It was roadbuilding and pipefitting most water lines....

I talk to kids now days  starting construction labour jobs at   16-17 per hour....

Blows my mind....   35 years later and  thats  how wages  haven't barely gone up....

It's sickening, really.

29 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

In your particular case, yeah, that works (already have a job with a raise). But for most other people, moving means getting a different job (unlikely for higher pay), plus moving expenses, finding a new home in a new place... it's just not as easy as you're making it out to be.

Who said it's easy? We had to handle all that as well. I'll spare the details but it was not easy. Yes I had a job to go to, but that was the only silver lining.

1 hour ago, Chickenspear said:

Oh? Where's that?The Philippines? Ethiopia? Not an easy feat in North America (even western europe.)

I’m from sask and housing is pretty affordable, Manitoba is pretty similar from what I gather.  15-20 minutes is your worst commute in either sask city and about 400k would buy you a bungalow 5-10 years old which is pretty in reach for a lot of households especially if you owned reale estate elsewhere and moved here.  Now we have no oceans, mountains or pro hockey but you can live a very comfortable lifestyle.

• Upvote 1

On 1/31/2018 at 10:27 PM, oldnews said:

:lol:

I almost think the next generation has too much humility tbh

But if I could accept Tortorella.....and I did....(at least, until the bridge was on fire lol).... then.....maybe some folks can accept JB.

If I'm honest though, I can't deny - I never really accepted the Keenan era.  Couldn't wait for it to end from the day it started - but I don't think it's quite the same.

Since I became a fully time or real fan (89'), that era was the only time I completely lost interest in the Canucks.  Ironic because they still had Bure and Mogilny for part if that period.... I actually started watching games again at the tail end of Messier's last year.  He was still a bum but Naslund was just starting to come into his own.

Let's face it.... Vancouver is a metropolitan city, and events city....  A city for the rich.

It is no longer dominated by the blue collar working class.  The gruff, outspoken, wear their heart in their sleeve, loyal, hard working, old school port town people have dwindled or can't afford tickets to games. 

To be quite honest with many of the posters here that live in Van.... How do you do it?  How can you willingly live in a city that can really only be enjoyed by the rich?  The rest work there asses off just to pay the rent or mortgage being house poor... Commute 45 min each way to work each day.  Can't afford or have time to access the surrounding beauty.

... Anyway I digress...

But believe that much of the whinning that occurs here incessantly about the team, stems from the stress, frustration, apathy, hopelessness that many of the Vancouver residence go through just trying to get by.  Needing something out of there world to cling to... Or vent to/at.  Until the Canucks start putting together winning seasons they're an easy target.

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Cheers 3

Meh...I think its just a natural progression of a mix of fan approval/disappointment at different times in a teams progress. The fact that we've been stalling in the basement for 4 years naturally will bring fans to question the moves of management.  And that we've been stalling not because we have been playing our prospects, but because free agent signings and trades for our precious draft picks have not panned out well, as far as getting into the playoffs. Getting value or even anything for the players we end up dropping doesn't help either. 

I think fans have every right to be skeptical.  But I also think as fans we are hopeful before any season. I was last year at this time as well. And I am stoked about this season as well. Criticism of management will naturally decline as and if the team starts to have a consistent winning record again. Simple as that. We are only human. At least most of us.

2 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

I like your post .  Your an interesting poster.  But if everyone was like you then you would become boring . 

This isn't just CDC it's our whole world.

But I hear you. My rant would be the completely redundant overused so called humor like "real gud" and Mason, Ballard and a first that keeps popping up around here. Nothing like hearing the exact same joke 500 times.

When are we getting rid of that burrows thread btw? 

All of us Nuck-maniacs here at CDC contribute to 'The sum of the parts'..I really have enjoyed this place for about a decade & a half(first few yrs, lurked in the undergrowth!)

As we've moaned/b*tched/yearned for successful past, thru this rough half-decade, I've come to appreciate what this site means. To celebrate(or commiserate) it's always best within a group of like-minded obsessed, converts, die-hards, gospel-preaching hard-sellers, hand-wringers, cannibals(& sundry). This place has often provided a hearty laugh; outlet/b*tch-session("We gotta trade _____"); & outright celebration for when things go our way, & the old addictions come raging back!

& I see y'all stating how housing/living cost has gotten apocalytic/insane.

& that region(in the mind's eye) for me, is Vancouver up to 1986. What a GEM of a place it was in the 70's & 80's. Pondering it now, is just nostalgia on heavy steroids. I've only lived(lower rainland) a few yrs after that time passed. Knowing if I were to return, it'd never come close to what it was.

Everybody knows(as Leonard Cohen sang). As populations doubled, opportunities have halved. Meaning humans have gotten about 4 times uglier & desperate(according to my calculations), so smoke'em if ya got'em!

• Cheers 4

5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

All of us Nuck-maniacs here at CDC contribute to 'The sum of the parts'..I really have enjoyed this place for about a decade & a half(first few yrs, lurked in the undergrowth!)

As we've moaned/b*tched/yearned for successful past, thru this rough half-decade, I've come to appreciate what this site means. To celebrate(or commiserate) it's always best within a group of like-minded obsessed, converts, die-hards, gospel-preaching hard-sellers, hand-wringers, cannibals(& sundry). This place has often provided a hearty laugh; outlet/b*tch-session("We gotta trade _____"); & outright celebration for when things go our way, & the old addictions come raging back!

& I see y'all stating how housing/living cost has gotten apocalytic/insane.

& that region(in the mind's eye) for me, is Vancouver up to 1986. What a GEM of a place it was in the 70's & 80's. Pondering it now, is just nostalgia on heavy steroids. I've only lived(lower rainland) a few yrs after that time passed. Knowing if I were to return, it'd never come close to what it was.

Everybody knows(as Leonard Cohen sang). As populations doubled, opportunities have halved. Meaning humans have gotten about 4 times uglier & desperate(according to my calculations), so smoke'em if ya got'em!

You sound like an intelligent fellow. 

Me, I'm just a simple guy who's followed our canucks since the early 70's and wondering if I will see my Canucks win a cup before I die. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 8/8/2019 at 7:03 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

I've grown quite tired of the anti-JB crowd(who mostly congregate at that other, unspeakable site, with their bashing-agenda)

From my own pov, from 2014 until today:

1- We never tanked any season..in spirit of competition, always tried hard

2- Treated almost all vets with respect

3- Properly honoured the twins for 2 decades of dedication

4- 5 yrs of descent should be blamed on lousy drafting, from about 2006~2012

6- SURE improved that lousy drafting record! Didn't rely on lotto ball bounces either.

So here we are, a half-decade from the time JB took over. I'm really excited to watch the team that he has built. Although Bo was MG's nice move, would say it's appropriate to completely define this(now) as JB's creation.

& the past couple seasons(going in) I've been EQUALly excited to watch our farm/youth in various leagues progress. In 2019-20, that outlook might even trend up a bit.

Looking at all contracts/picks that belong to Van, don't think they've ever been so deep & balanced. Steady progress is arriving, & it should be sustainable for a longgg period.

I'm bumping this for next page. It's time we all emphasize the positives with our exciting, promising group.

There's too much negativity from other places. CDC has to counter this with our more enthusiastic outlook/projections.

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1