The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposals) Aggressive Move

Noble 6

Trade 1:

To NYI:

Gudbranson (25% retained, 2.625 million dollar cap hit)

To VAN:

2nd Round Pick 2018 (CGY)

4th Round Pick 2018

*The 2018 4th becomes a 2019 3rd if Gudbranson re-signs

The Islanders acquire some defensive depth on the right side, which has been a weak spot after trading away Hamonic. This will help them in the Metropolitan playoff race and they won't have to overexpose younger players like Pulock, Aho and Mayfield. Pushing for the Playoffs is important for them in convincing Tavares to stay with them. They still have 3 picks in the top-92 as well, so they aren't short on picks for this year. 

The Canucks acquire a 2nd rounder for an upcoming UFA. Given the depth of this draft, we could land a pretty good player with that pick. We also recoup a 4th as we traded ours in the Pouliot deal. This also opens up a decent amount of cap space as well as a roster spot we can use to give someone like Holm a shot at the end of the year. 

Trade 2:

To WSH:

Vanek

3rd Round Pick 2018

To VAN:

Orpik

1st Round Pick 2018 (top-15 protected)

*The Canucks also get a 2019 4th if Vanek re-signs

The Capitals acquire some cheap winger depth for a Playoff run this year. However, the main benefit for them is dumping Orpik's contract, which gives them an extra 5.5 million in cap space this summer and next year. This allows shift that money over to Carlson for his new contract and also re-sign a bunch of depth players (Beagle, Wilson, Bowey, Chorney, etc.). This is huge considering how many big contracts they have (Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Holtby, etc.). 

The Canucks add a late 1st round pick in a deep draft where we can land another good player. While Orpik is overpaid, I think he might be the most valuable cap dump to us around the league. He can step in and provide some of the grit we've been missing since Dorsett's injury. Specifically, he can be paired with Juolevi early on to provide a safe working environment on defense for him next year. We can handle one year of his contract considering how many ELC's we'll have (Pettersson, Boeser, Juolevi and Gaudette) in addition to cheap bridge deals (Baertschi, Granlund, Stetcher, Hutton, Virtanen, Gaunce, etc.). 

And now, the aggressive move.

Trade 3:

To ARZ:

Granlund

1st Round Pick 2018 (WSH)

To VAN:

Domi

The Coyotes bolster their depth for the the first two rounds again, in a very deep draft. They should be able to land some good talent with their 4 picks in the top-92. Granlund can play center in their bottom-6 and serves as a roster replacement for Domi, although he is more suited to the role they need. They also don't have to worry about an extension for Domi if there is/was any issues there. 

The Canucks acquire a young, skilled, gritty LW who has some history with our young players (mainly Horvat, but also Virtanen). Domi fits in age wise with our next core and could a contributor to us for a long time. He fills a long term need as well as he plays mainly LW and can provide some pushback for our team as he becomes more comfortable. 

Post Deadline Lineup:

Domi - Horvat - Boeser

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Beartschi - Sutter - Gagner

Gaunce - Gaudette - Virtanen

Archibald

Edler - Stetcher

Del Zotto - Tanev

Hutton - Orpik

Pouliot, Biega

Young Pieces for Next Year: Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Domi, Gaudette, Virtanen, Juolevi, 2018 1st Rounder, Holm/McEneny/Pouliot, Holm/McEneny/Pouliot

What do you guys think?

9 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Trade 1:

To NYI:

Gudbranson (25% retained, 2.625 million dollar cap hit)

To VAN:

4th Round Pick 2018

*The 2018 4th becomes a 2019 3rd if Gudbranson re-signs

The Islanders acquire some defensive depth on the right side, which has been a weak spot after trading away Hamonic. This will help them in the Metropolitan playoff race and they won't have to overexpose younger players like Pulock, Aho and Mayfield. Pushing for the Playoffs is important for them in convincing Tavares to stay with them. They still have 3 picks in the top-92 as well, so they aren't short on picks for this year. 

The Canucks acquire a 2nd rounder for an upcoming UFA. Given the depth of this draft, we could land a pretty good player with that pick. We also recoup a 4th as we traded ours in the Pouliot deal. This also opens up a decent amount of cap space as well as a roster spot we can use to give someone like Holm a shot at the end of the year. 

Trade 2:

To WSH:

Vanek

3rd Round Pick 2018

To VAN:

Orpik

1st Round Pick 2018 (top-15 protected)

*The Canucks also get a 2019 4th if Vanek re-signs

The Capitals acquire some cheap winger depth for a Playoff run this year. However, the main benefit for them is dumping Orpik's contract, which gives them an extra 5.5 million in cap space this summer and next year. This allows shift that money over to Carlson for his new contract and also re-sign a bunch of depth players (Beagle, Wilson, Bowey, Chorney, etc.). This is huge considering how many big contracts they have (Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Holtby, etc.). 

The Canucks add a late 1st round pick in a deep draft where we can land another good player. While Orpik is overpaid, I think he might be the most valuable cap dump to us around the league. He can step in and provide some of the grit we've been missing since Dorsett's injury. Specifically, he can be paired with Juolevi early on to provide a safe working environment on defense for him next year. We can handle one year of his contract considering how many ELC's we'll have (Pettersson, Boeser, Juolevi and Gaudette) in addition to cheap bridge deals (Baertschi, Granlund, Stetcher, Hutton, Virtanen, Gaunce, etc.). 

And now, the aggressive move.

Trade 3:

To ARZ:

Granlund

To VAN:

Domi

The Coyotes bolster their depth for the the first two rounds again, in a very deep draft. They should be able to land some good talent with their 4 picks in the top-92. Granlund can play center in their bottom-6 and serves as a roster replacement for Domi, although he is more suited to the role they need. They also don't have to worry about an extension for Domi if there is/was any issues there. 

The Canucks acquire a young, skilled, gritty LW who has some history with our young players (mainly Horvat, but also Virtanen). Domi fits in age wise with our next core and could a contributor to us for a long time. He fills a long term need as well as he plays mainly LW and can provide some pushback for our team as he becomes more comfortable. 

Post Deadline Lineup:

Domi - Horvat - Boeser

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Beartschi - Sutter - Gagner

Gaunce - Gaudette - Virtanen

Archibald

Edler - Stetcher

Del Zotto - Tanev

Hutton - Orpik

Pouliot, Biega

Young Pieces for Next Year: Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Domi, Gaudette, Virtanen, Juolevi, 2018 1st Rounder, Holm/McEneny/Pouliot, Holm/McEneny/Pouliot

What do you guys think?

Want a bit more for guddy, maybe a prospect instead of the 4th but not bad. Would rather get a 2nd without getting orpik and having to give up a 3rd. Would rather give up roster players and someone like goldy for domi then our picks.

My response.

NHL

Gudbranson

VAN

1st '18

NHL

Vanek

re-signed in the summer

VAN

Top prospect or 1st if someone offers it

VAN

Domi

PHX

1st '18

20 minutes ago, NuckForReal!!! said:

Want a bit more for guddy, maybe a prospect instead of the 4th but not bad. Would rather get a 2nd without getting orpik and having to give up a 3rd. Would rather give up roster players and someone like goldy for domi then our picks.

Maybe Gudbranson warrants another prospect, maybe not. I think it depends on how desperate the buyer is.

If you don't want to take back Orpik that's fine. I just really wanted the 1st, so I included him. 

The thing with Arizona is they're in the same position as us; looking towards the future. They're going to be interested in picks much like we are. That's why I think those picks would have more value to them than their roster equivalents. It sucks that we have to give them up, but Domi isn't exactly a vet. 

22 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Maybe Gudbranson warrants another prospect, maybe not. I think it depends on how desperate the buyer is.

If you don't want to take back Orpik that's fine. I just really wanted the 1st, so I included him. 

The thing with Arizona is they're in the same position as us; looking towards the future. They're going to be interested in picks much like we are. That's why I think those picks would have more value to them than their roster equivalents. It sucks that we have to give them up, but Domi isn't exactly a vet. 

Congrats. Well thought out and pretty fair for all sides. Domi is Most likely going to be better than the caps high pick, and he is exactly the type of player I assume we would target with A late first rounder. Orpick can be A good mentor for Oj  I wonder if we could pry Bowey from the caps if we maybe added Goldie or Hutton plus? All in all great job

11 minutes ago, bp79 said:

Congrats. Well thought out and pretty fair for all sides. Domi is Most likely going to be better than the caps high pick, and he is exactly the type of player I assume we would target with A late first rounder. Orpick can be A good mentor for Oj  I wonder if we could pry Bowey from the caps if we maybe added Goldie or Hutton plus? All in all great job

Thanks, I appreciate it. 

I really think Domi could reach close to what his ceiling was if he comes to Vancouver. He'll be in a different environment with people that he's familiar with. Maybe if I write the trade out like this it'll be more appealing for some:

Out: Gudbranson, Vanek, Granlund, 3rd 2018

In: Domi, Orpik, 4th 2018 (NYI)

We trade a couple of upcoming UFAs, take back Orpik and swap mid round picks to land a prime asset in Domi. I would do that all day. 

I like the first two (realistic return for Erik I think, and deadline asset for cap dump to replace Erik and a late 1st?  Sign me up).

Could see CDC have another bipolar reaction to the 3rd deal though ("sweet we got Domi!  Time for him and Horvat to tear it up together" vs. "wow what an overpayment!  Max is having such an off year, we traded for name appeal!  Should've gone for a Baertschi-type move to try and steal him".  Frankly I'm of the second camp, think we can do something like the second we get, maybe another pick and Goldobin for Domi).  He's not someone that I'd say we trade so much for; for reference, Marcus Johansson was traded to Jersey, when he was signed to a good deal at $4.58 million per, for a 2nd and a 3rd, and he was putting up 0.71 points/ game.  Max doesn't come close to sniffing those kinds of totals for this year and I doubt we have to break the bank like that to get him.

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

These multi step trades are really difficult to pull off which is why they happen so rarely

Domi would be nice.  Why not go straight for the prize?

How exactly do you suggest this happen?  'Zona has no need for Vanek or Gudbranson, they're not close to contending, and why not deal from what we get in return to get Max?  If we can keep the 1st and just move some peripheral assets then IMO it's a wise move to make to get premium picks AND younger.

3 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

How exactly do you suggest this happen?  'Zona has no need for Vanek or Gudbranson, they're not close to contending, and why not deal from what we get in return to get Max?  If we can keep the 1st and just move some peripheral assets then IMO it's a wise move to make to get premium picks AND younger.

I'm not certain what it would take.  If it got in the way of the larger plan, then that's the way it goes.  I'm sure JB has been on the phone

4 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Trade 3:

To ARZ:

Granlund

To VAN:

Domi

You want to give up a first round pick this year and a 2nd round pick and throw in Granlund for a guy that's 5'10" and has never scored 20 goals and has only 3 this year ....i'm sorry but with how deep this year's draft is we could walk away with a better player than Domi with that first rounder alone.

4 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Thanks, I appreciate it. 

I really think Domi could reach close to what his ceiling was if he comes to Vancouver. He'll be in a different environment with people that he's familiar with. Maybe if I write the trade out like this it'll be more appealing for some:

Out: Gudbranson, Vanek, Granlund, 3rd 2018

In: Domi, Orpik, 4th 2018 (NYI)

We trade a couple of upcoming UFAs, take back Orpik and swap mid round picks to land a prime asset in Domi. I would do that all day. 

So would I Is there any scenario in which the caps take back someone or something rather the Granny? I think he has a lot of untapped potential. Tho not A deal breaker Cheers again on A very well thought out post. Beats my Ballard Raymond and A second :lol:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I like the first two (realistic return for Erik I think, and deadline asset for cap dump to replace Erik and a late 1st?  Sign me up).

Could see CDC have another bipolar reaction to the 3rd deal though ("sweet we got Domi!  Time for him and Horvat to tear it up together" vs. "wow what an overpayment!  Max is having such an off year, we traded for name appeal!  Should've gone for a Baertschi-type move to try and steal him".  Frankly I'm of the second camp, think we can do something like the second we get, maybe another pick and Goldobin for Domi).  He's not someone that I'd say we trade so much for; for reference, Marcus Johansson was traded to Jersey, when he was signed to a good deal at $4.58 million per, for a 2nd and a 3rd, and he was putting up 0.71 points/ game.  Max doesn't come close to sniffing those kinds of totals for this year and I doubt we have to break the bank like that to get him.

The difference between Johansson and Domi is age. Johansson was 27 when he was traded, so he didn't have much room to go. Domi still has a lot of untapped potential. In addition, the fact that Domi is still on his ELC for this year will be very appealing for a lot of teams. Imagine a team like Tampa Bay or Pittsburgh squeezing him under the cap for this year. Those are the teams we'll have to outbid for Domi. If your not comfortable with the price that's fine, just providing my perspective. 

9 minutes ago, bp79 said:

So would I Is there any scenario in which the caps take back someone or something rather the Granny? I think he has a lot of untapped potential. Tho not A deal breaker Cheers again on A very well thought out post. Beats my Ballard Raymond and A second :lol:

Reveal hidden contents

I don't think we can substitute Granlund for anyone else (unless it's Gaudette or something and we overpay). They're using Domi as a center even though he's more of a LW. They're desperate for centers. Granlund is the only player we have that fits the bill, as I can't see them taking Sutter's contract (nor would I want to give him up). 

Cheers ::D

3 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I don't think we can substitute Granlund for anyone else (unless it's Gaudette or something and we overpay). They're using Domi as a center even though he's more of a LW. They're desperate for centers. Granlund is the only player we have that fits the bill, as I can't see them taking Sutter's contract (nor would I want to give him up). 

Cheers ::D

Good point if its between the 3 Grannys the odd man out Gaudette is improving daily and no matter what people say I think Sutter really is A foundational piece. Seems Bonino who I liked has pulled A Houdini since cashing in.

My initial thoughts:

Trade 1: While I too would like to get more from Gudbranson, I'm not sure we could get more for a UFA - especially considering everyone knows he's never going to live up to his draft position, as well as the fact he's already having some health issues. With that in mind, I think I'm ok with this.

Trade 2: I really like the idea of taking on Orpik's salary, as Washington is strapped and we can easily absorb that contract for a year. Your reasoning is sound on this one, and it is probably a good trade for both teams if Washington wants to avoid a rebuild.
Trade 3:While I DO think Domi can rebound, that's a lot to give up for him.  Benning seems to draft well most of the time, but drafting is always a risk as well.  Uncertain about this, and would hate to lose out on a top six forward or top 4 defense roster player in exchange for a guy who completely lost "it". I'd be for this, only if there was a way for Benning to be confident Domi would return to form, but since I don't see that being possible I think I'd reduce the give on this one, or ignore it entirely.  

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

My initial thoughts:

Trade 1: While I too would like to get more from Gudbranson, I'm not sure we could get more for a UFA - especially considering everyone knows he's never going to live up to his draft position, as well as the fact he's already having some health issues. With that in mind, I think I'm ok with this.

Trade 2: I really like the idea of taking on Orpik's salary, as Washington is strapped and we can easily absorb that contract for a year. Your reasoning is sound on this one, and it is probably a good trade for both teams if Washington wants to avoid a rebuild.
Trade 3:While I DO think Domi can rebound, that's a lot to give up for him.  Benning seems to draft well most of the time, but drafting is always a risk as well.  Uncertain about this, and would hate to lose out on a top six forward or top 4 defense roster player in exchange for a guy who completely lost "it". I'd be for this, only if there was a way for Benning to be confident Domi would return to form, but since I don't see that being possible I think I'd reduce the give on this one, or ignore it entirely.  

Fair enough. It's certainly not a bad option to keep those extra picks in this situation if you're not comfortable moving them for Domi. 

Archived