The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which RFA is most important to the team?

JM_

Which RFA is most important to the team?  

185 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Do the compatibles work for Baer at 4 mil tho? For some reason anything out of the 3.0 range makes me nervous. 

Tanner Pearson got $3.75M for four years last year with a 15-goal, 36-point season and a 24-goal, 44-point season. I'd put him in a very similar boat to Baertschi.

Toffoli got a 3-year deal for $4.6M, probably largely because he scored 31 goals one year removed from his contract signing.

Y'all need to keep your grubby paws of Granlund, he is a precious gem and we need to cherish him. Seriously though, he is like a smaller Hansen, so versatile playing up and down the lineup. He's worth a bridge deal imo. 

I thought Stech was the most important to sign long-term. His sophomore slump doesn't scare me, I think he'll be a stud for us for years to come. I think Virt must be re-signed on a bridge deal, kid's still got potential. Baer is the must trade imo, he's one dimensional and I think got exposed when Bo was hurt, Brock was off his line, and he was on his lonesome. 

Now would be a good time to lock up Stecher long term, considering his point production is in the toilet this season. I'm guessing he'll want a bridge deal though, knowing that the team offense will improve next season and he'll grab more second assists just by feeding Pettersson or Boeser with outlet passes. His agent needs to do some campaigning to get him back on the PP.

Baer: Bridge contract; he needs to show consistency in his all around game. Points can be streaky even with the best, but all around play needs to improve to go long term. Still, he is one of our better players, goal wise, for now

Stetch: the only one I would think of for a long term...yet. He's top 6, no doubts there

Granlund: so which season is the norm? Last year's (basically) 20 goal season, or this year's decent two way but challenged offensively season? I could reason out trading him, about as easily as I could reason out keeping him on a bridge

Virt: Bridge, 2 years. He does appear to be "getting it", one small piece at a time. He'll never live up to his draft position, but if he turns into a better all-around (but cleaner) Torres, I'll be happy

Poulliott: Of these guys, he's the one that I am least sure of. He came in great, but once he appeared to be cementing a spot, all the sudden he disappeared. To me, its a coin toss between bridge and trade

Boucher: Honestly, I could see keeping this guy around as a 4th line trigger man. He has the offense to slide up/down the roster, which gives him a little more value than just his stats. I wouldn't be upset if he was traded, but I kinda like the idea of him staying around.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Tanner Pearson got $3.75M for four years last year with a 15-goal, 36-point season and a 24-goal, 44-point season. I'd put him in a very similar boat to Baertschi.

Toffoli got a 3-year deal for $4.6M, probably largely because he scored 31 goals one year removed from his contract signing.

He's a fair bit more physical that Baer tho, correct? So if thats the ceiling comparable then something in the 3.25 range might be in the cards?

2 hours ago, Cramarossa said:

Y'all need to keep your grubby paws of Granlund, he is a precious gem and we need to cherish him. Seriously though, he is like a smaller Hansen, so versatile playing up and down the lineup. He's worth a bridge deal imo. 

I thought Stech was the most important to sign long-term. His sophomore slump doesn't scare me, I think he'll be a stud for us for years to come. I think Virt must be re-signed on a bridge deal, kid's still got potential. Baer is the must trade imo, he's one dimensional and I think got exposed when Bo was hurt, Brock was off his line, and he was on his lonesome. 

Baer-Boeser were on the same line against Philadelphia and they combined for a goal.  He was hurt the next game.  When he came back he was playing with Chaput and then Sutter and then Dowd.  I was skeptical of him and Sutter but thought they played well together.  Green talks of a two-way player.  

I actually think that Baer plays better with Granlund than Horvat - WD wanted to play them on a line but the roster didn't allow it.  They also looked good when Horvat went down in pre-season but then Baer got ill and it was short-lived.

Granlund is already on a bridge deal. He has arbitration rights and is two seasons from UFA.  He might prefer a one year deal as his season probably did not go as planned.  Same for Baer.

I think Stech and Baer should get long term deals, but in terms of who I consider "more important" I had to go Baer. He is quietly a great player for us, and anyone that think we should move him for a second rounder or someone that essentially projects to be like him are crazy. He doesn't get enough respect around here simply because he's not 22 and under.

16 hours ago, chon derry said:

I agree ,but I see sven and granlund equal or granlund having a slight edge on long term if only for his consistency kinda yannik hansenish.....

I gave it to Granlund. He's shown he can produce when put in an offensive role, and shown he can be effective in the defensive role this season. So he can move up and down the line up where needed. Then add in he can play either C or wing and I really see him as a more important signing than Baertschi due to his versatility.

Very interesting crop!  Of those 5, there’s a (small) chance all are gone in 3 years and a (still small) chance all 5 could still be here.

If I had to go long term it’s a coin flip on Baer or Stech.  I’d aim for the low 3 mil range, which is fair money on the open market.  They probably could get a little more for what they can do on our team... but probably not in UFA, which seems like Opposite Day.  If/when they take the next step they’ll be a bargain.  

I think Baer has gone through enough in his career and he’s proven to be a legitimate top 6 winger to make him a great candidate.  He’s not top end or physical, but plays 200 feet and has shown chemistry with Bo and others. Solid veteran offensive support winger.

Stech is small but has shown some offensive flair.  Even without the offense he brings an intensity to the ice every night that is super important these days - I’d say you can’t go wrong re-signing either of them.  

The rest are all great candidates for short term “show me’s” rather than even bridge deals. I think Jake and Poiliot in particular could use some contractual prodding.  

Granny is kinda in the middle - I love him but lower production this year makes him hard to put a price tag on.

From their perspective I could see any on this list wanting one year deals as well - as there’s upside with each of them that they’d be leaving on the table if signed long term.  

7 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I think Baer has gone through enough in his career and he’s proven to be a legitimate top 6 winger to make him a great candidate.    

I don't think he's a top 6 winger on a competitive team. I'd be willing to do a bridge deal because he has a bit of chemistry with Bo sometimes, but no way I sign him long term.

I went with Sven as the long term. I think he's most proven. I'm surprised Troy is leading that... perhaps people are thinking because he's been pretty bad this year we could sign him to a 7 year 1.5 AAV deal or something? 

I'd give Troy something like 2 years 2 AAV 

Sven I say lock up... again, not very good #'s this year so hopefully a reasonable extension? 4 or 5 years 3.25-3.5 AAV? Tough to give him less than Gagner... 

Gotta agree with Jake as the bridge deal. 

Granlund as the guy to trade 

Archived