The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2018 Olympic Hockey Games

-AJ-

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

If this group of Canadians wins Gold, is that a more impressive feat than the three won by the NHL guys?  

I'd say so.

Not as fun to watch maybe, but their odds are significantly worse off. Canadians still make up the majority between all the NHL players, while Russia has the KHL, Sweden and Finland have their own pro leagues, plus other European leagues, to glean from. The ones they pick are their top stars, at least the stars that chose not to go overseas and play for the NHL, or have come back, for whatever reasons. coughTryamkincough. While an elite Canadian star player would (almost) never be playing in Europe in his prime.

I'm actually a little shocked at just how ordinary our team looks. I had no idea of the slim pickings outside of the NHL we have to choose from.  Fortunately the US is in an even worse situation.

I find it actually a little refreshing to be rooting for Canada as an underdog for once. If they even make it to the podium it will be a success.

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

I'd say so.

Not as fun to watch maybe, but their odds are significantly worse off. Canadians still make up the majority between all the NHL players, while Russia has the KHL, Sweden and Finland have their own pro leagues, plus other European leagues, to glean from. The ones they pick are their top stars, at least the stars that chose not to go overseas and play for the NHL, or have come back, for whatever reasons. coughTryamkincough. While an elite Canadian star player would (almost) never be playing in Europe in his prime.

I'm actually a little shocked at just how ordinary our team looks. I had no idea of the slim pickings outside of the NHL we have to choose from.  Fortunately the US is in an even worse situation.

I find it actually a little refreshing to be rooting for Canada as an underdog for once. If they even make it to the podium it will be a success.

Team Canada couldn't even pick from the AHL either I think.  

Probably lots of younger players on the cusp of making it to the NHL and maybe a few "middle class" players who for roster/salary reasons are in the minors.  

Cal O'Reilly, Patrick Wiercioch, Dylan Strome, Brandon Pirri, Griffin Reinhart, etc.... probably could have been part of the team.  

For all intent and purposes, the Canadian team that is over is probably like.... the E-tiered squad.  

On 2/18/2018 at 7:01 PM, Lancaster said:

Team Canada couldn't even pick from the AHL either I think.  

They could, but only from guys that were signed directly by the AHL team and not on an NHL contract.  Chris Kelly, Cody Goloubef and Christian Thomas are all from the AHL.  Apparently, Team Canada had been looking at Archibald prior to his injury / surgery.

I PVR'd the game and then watched it this morning.  It was so hard to stay off all devices that might ruin the game for me.

I wished Canada had a few more goals / chances.  Their forechecking was awesome.  Their faceoffs were a big key to the game.  Can't wait for the semi-finals against... Germany?  Now that was unexpected.  If I am reading the schedule right, it's at 4:10 am on Friday.

I really love the Korean goaltending tandem.

There's Sung Je Park, who is currently sporting a 12.23 GAA and .571 Save%. Then there's the obviously Korean "Matt Dalton", with a 4.05 GAA and .901 Save% (probably very good, considering the defense in front of him).

Speaking of Dalton, he's a guy who probably is a fringe player in a NA pro league, but is undisputed king of the Asia League. Check out his awards since going overseas:

• 2014-2015: Asia League Best Goaltender, Asia League First Team
  • 2015-2016: Asia League Champion, Asia League Playoff MVP
  • 2016-2017: Asia League Best Goaltender, Asia League Champion, Asia League First Team, Asia League Playoff MVP, World Championship (D1A) Silver Medal
  • 2017-2018: Asia League Best Goaltender

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sweden obviously didn't select the right players.  There are a couple young (soon to be Canucks) they would have won with.  

2 hours ago, mll said:

To get the Dahlin treatment.  

AV hatez teh young playerz!!!!!!!!

regards,  G.

Archived