The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Elliotte Friedman's 31 thoughts - Canucks part

Outsiders

7 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Possibly? I just know how valuable young defensemen are. Someone like Cal Foote, who just went 14th OA and almost has a year of post draft development under his belt. I would LOVE to have a prospect like that in our system. 

Who knows, maybe I am undervaluing Edler? But we could do A LOT worse than a trade for Foote. 

Edler is worth way more than just Foote alone.  Edler is a top 40 defenseman easy.  Now 100% not top 20 but top 40 absolutely.

8 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Edler is worth way more than just Foote alone.  Edler is a top 40 defenseman easy.  Now 100% not top 20 but top 40 absolutely.

His increased phyiscal play only solidifies him in that top 40-50 imo.  Getting a guy like him would be huge.  There's even the possibility of us taking on Callahan's contract and eating salary on edlers if they wanted to pony up and give us Sergachev.  

Edler 50% retained +  Baertschi 

For

Sergcahev + Callahan (his high $ contract)

Would save them some salary and Baer could slot in on the 3rd or 4th line as depth scoring.  We might even get more value back then that.  They would have to seriously consider it.  That is an overpayment on our end imo.  Shows a deal like that can be made.

3 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

His increased phyiscal play only solidifies him in that top 40-50 imo.  Getting a guy like him would be huge.  There's even the possibility of us taking on Callahan's contract and eating salary on edlers if they wanted to pony up and give us Sergachev.  

For

Would save them some salary and Baer could slot in on the 3rd or 4th line as depth scoring.  We might even get more value back then that.  They would have to seriously consider it.  That is an overpayment on our end imo.  Shows a deal like that can be made.

I know we have no cap issues now, but I wouldn't want Callahan's contract.  That thing is worth a 1st round all by itself.  Baertschi and Edler is worth Sergachev +

5 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

For

Would save them some salary and Baer could slot in on the 3rd or 4th line as depth scoring.  We might even get more value back then that.  They would have to seriously consider it.

Callahan has a full NMC, very unlikely that he will waive to come here. 

Edlerat 50% retained is an incredibly valuable asset considering that he can play 20-25 minutes in all situations and is a physical presence. I would not retain anything from Edler in a trade because his contract in comparison to others in the league is about where it should be. If retaining like 15% is the difference between a 2nd and a 1st as part of a bigger deal, then sure go for it.

4 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I know we have no cap issues now, but I wouldn't want Callahan's contract.  That thing is worth a 1st round all by itself.  Baertschi and Edler is worth Sergachev +

That shows though if Tampa had any willingness to consider moving him.. we have the assets to acquire him.  It would be hard for me as Tampa to move him because of those 3 years of ELC left.

Wishful thinking on my part.

35 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

For

There's no chance Sergachev gets traded. 

1 hour ago, Yotes said:

If we retained 50% on Tanev I would want a massive return. Foote top F prospect, 1st round pick plus either another pick.

Serg is far > than Foote as he has proven NHL success already Foote is in the WHL

You can only retain 2 players salaries at a time.  Luongo and Hansen. We can't retain salary until Hansen's contract is up. (which is at the end of the year)

6 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

You can only retain 2 players salaries at a time.  Luongo and Hansen. We can't retain salary until Hansen's contract is up. (which is at the end of the year)

3 salaries can be retained. Van has one slot remaining.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/03/2016-17-retained-salaries-by-team.html

30 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

Elder + Vanek for namesnikov?

or

Tanev + Vanek for Namesnikov + Foote + a 2nd?

Namestnivok is a sub 50% faceoff guy, small and playing on an offensively stacked team.  You are waaaaaaaaaaaaay overvaluing him.  We have Horvat, Sedin, Sutter, Petterson.  You are just creating a problem rather than solving one.

oh and Gaudette too

29 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I’d say it’s close.  There’s a lot of good d in the league.   He’d be right on the bubble of top 40

First pairing is 62 players.  He is a first pairing defenseman. I expect to get that kind of value in return in a trade if it happens; otherwise, he is not that old.  He loves being here.  He is solid in all situations.  He is part of the Swedish Mafia, and we have a couple more young ones coming soon.

6 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Namestnivok is a sub 50% faceoff guy, small and playing on an offensively stacked team.  You are waaaaaaaaaaaaay overvaluing him.  We have Horvat, Sedin, Sutter, Petterson.  You are just creating a problem rather than solving one.

oh and Gaudette too

I see him being a LW here. And the main target in this trade is Foote, Namestnikov is an upgrade on Beartschi (that we can afford next year and Tampa can't since he will want a big raise)

1 minute ago, FS91 said:

I see him being a LW here. And the main target in this trade is Foote, Namestnikov is an upgrade on Beartschi (that we can afford next year and Tampa can't since he will want a big raise)

that's even worse as wingers are much less valuable.  If he is an upgrade to Baertschi than that's a marginal upgrade statistically speaking at best.  You are throwing in Edler just because?

1 minute ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

that's even worse as wingers are much less valuable.  If he is an upgrade to Baertschi than that's a marginal upgrade statistically speaking at best.  You are throwing in Edler just because?

...No not just because, to get Cal Foote.

Edit: Nvm I see that you were replying to a different trade proposal and not mine which was:

Edler + Beartschi

For

Cal Foote + Namestikov

1 minute ago, FS91 said:

Im not sure that if you swapped both players that baer wouldn't be out performing namestnikov on that stacked team.

1 minute ago, coryberg said:

Im not sure that if you swapped both players that baer wouldn't be out performing namestnikov on that stacked team.

Possibly, but if this is what it takes to facilitate a Edler for Foote trade I would do it. They will be in cap trouble next season and will have a much easier time signing Beartschi than trying to sign Namestnikov. 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict something that I'm not a fan of.

I think Benning wants Evander Kane and is going to acquire him at the deadline and immediately sign him to a 5 year extension.

This is wild speculation and again, personally, I'd much rather just sit and wait for July 1st, but something is just making me think that he's the physical forward that Benning is trying to acquire.

Buffalo, I think is struggling to get any significant offers from a contender, I can't see them letting Kane go for nothing, considering what they paid to get him in the first place. Any non contender, I can't see making a trade for Kane unless it includes signing to an extension and I do think Kane wants to be either with the Canucks or in Vegas.

I could be completely wrong, and I really hope I am, but I'm not going to be shocked if this happens.

Archived