The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Adam Gaudette

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Patrick Kane and Eric Lindros are two notable forwards that have worn #88. If it's a temporary number, Joe Sakic also wore it with Nordiques in '89, Jarome Iginla with the Kings in '17.

Tryamkin wore it for us last year   :bigblush:

30 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Why do people say this?  If he is really good, he will have earned the money anyway and if doesn't pan out, what does it matter.   This fixation with "burn a year" has never hurt your team - ever.    To me it is like the waiver concern - what good core piece has your team lost to waivers in the past few years?

Consider the flames this year,  Johnny burned a year of his cap in his first year as well and because of it, his extension kicked in this year as opposed to next year.  This year he took up 6.75 mill in cap space for the flames.  Imagine the type of player the flames could have signed/ traded for if they had 6+ million in extra cap space to spend.   That could have been the difference between making the playoffs vs early golfing season. 

Saying it never hurt a team ever is just not true. 

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Patrick Kane and Eric Lindros are two notable forwards that have worn #88. If it's a temporary number, Joe Sakic also wore it with Nordiques in '89, Jarome Iginla with the Kings in '17.

Temporary is fine, but Sakic and his 19 and Igilna's 12 in Calgary are classics. 

Chicago players don't count :P

Eric Lindros was a house so the number suited him.

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Consider the flames this year,  Johnny burned a year of his cap in his first year as well and because of it, his extension kicked in this year as opposed to next year.  This year he took up 6.75 mill in cap space for the flames.  Imagine the type of player the flames could have signed/ traded for if they had 6+ million in extra cap space to spend.   That could have been the difference between making the playoffs vs early golfing season. 

Saying it never hurt a team ever is just not true. 

Would they have traded away their first and second round picks to pick up this hypothetical player? Would he have improved on their already league best defense? 

3 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

Would they have traded away their first and second round picks to pick up this hypothetical player? Would he have improved on their already league best defense? 

They didn’t need defense. They need a RW scorer to help there power play. They could have trade what ever they wanted. The fact that they had 6.75 locked up prevented them from even pursuing that option. It’s not rocket science. Having cap space is better than not having cap space. 

41 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I believe first and second-year players are exempt, so I think he would be, though perhaps games this year might change that, I'm not sure.

He'll still be considered a rookie next year I am fairly sure. You have to play more games than he will for it to count. 

9 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

They didn’t need defense. They need a RW scorer to help there power play. They could have trade what ever they wanted. The fact that they had 6.75 locked up prevented them from even pursuing that option. It’s not rocket science. Having cap space is better than not having cap space. 

On the flip side of your fairy tale, they could've failed to negotiate a contract with Johnny because they wouldn't burn a year. He decides to wait out one more year and goes UFA. It's really not worth thinking about. I'm glad Gaudette is signed and REALLY not worried about Canucks cap space in 3 years. 

Archived