[Signing] Canucks sign Adam Gaudette

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

PP Unit #1:

Sedin - Sedin - Horvat

Gagner - Edler

PP Unit #2:

Jokinen - Virtanen - Goldobin

Del Zotto - Pouliot

His usual spot is where Boeser camps, although usually closer to the goal line.  Of course, who wouldn't want him taking Gagner's spot on PP1, but for now they can put him over there on PP2.

13 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

The risk is so small though.  You are only delaying his raise  by  one year in the hopes of attracting a possible $5M+ FA.  Chances are, any decent FA commanding that kind of cash will want term which becomes a problem the following year when you have to possibly pay Gaudette. 

TO me, the timing is right to guarantee he will be here as a Canuck 

The risk is small but there is still a risk. Also it could have an impact on a TD pick up. But the point I was making is showing why the preference is to not burn a year. No one is saying it’s tge end of the world or even that it was a bad move. But it really comes down to having saved money vs not. Teams like the penguins are a perfect example.  guentzel didn’t burn a year and Because of penguins still have two more years of a 45+ point player only making 750k. Thats huge for a team that maxes out the cap every year. When he gets his raise in 2019 penguins will have to find a way to move cap in order to keep him. 

13 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

The 5 games he gets together with the input from NHL coaches and team mates could have a major impact on his summer training and better prepare him for next season.

Possibly, I think the biggest impact is the confidence it will bring as he will have an idea of the type of competition he is up against.  

Excited to have Gaudette signed. An extra weapon. I haven't really watched Gaudette play much, but it sounds like he's a gritty player (a bit taller version of Leipsic?) I'll temper my expectations of him, until I see him play a few NHL games.

So, is he wearing #88, or was that just a suggestion from someone here? I think he'd look good wearing #81

30 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

His usual spot is where Boeser camps, although usually closer to the goal line.  Of course, who wouldn't want him taking Gagner's spot on PP1, but for now they can put him over there on PP2.

This is what I'm thinking. Green is the type of coach that isn't going to give a spot to a young player, rather the young player has to earn it. Putting him on the second unit gives him that opportunity to showcase the offensive part of his game, where Green might then put him in Boeser's spot on the first unit if he sees a fit. 

Satiar Shah and Alex Auld spoke with Adam Gaudette just now on Sportsnet 650. Here are some quotes from Gaudette:

• "Feels awesome to get this done, had a good 3 years at Northeastern and decided to take that leap to the next level and excited to get started."
  • "Quick turnaround from the game that ended our season but we looked at it like we accomplished a lot of things and dismissed the loss and reflected. Couldn't be happier to be in this organization and start my Canucks career."
  • "Came home Saturday night from the game and had a talk with my family and things picked after that. Spoke to GM Jim Benning and we expected this to be done shortly. It has turned out great and really happy with the contract."
  • "Spoke to Travis Green and will start out at centre and will let me play my game. I expect to get along real well with Coach and excited to get there and bring my style to the team to be the best player I can be for this organization."
  • "It's huge for me to play a few games here and test the waters. It's my dream come true since I was a little boy. Couldn't be any more thrilled and will give me a sense of what to expect next year and what I need to focus on for the summer."
  • "The biggest thing for me at this level of hockey is filling out my body and speeding up my first steps. My skating isn't the smoothest but it gets the job done right now and will look to improve my foot speed while also getting a bit heavier."
  • "I grew with 2 younger brothers and I was always outside with them and really enjoy the outdoors. Its why I fell in love with Vancouver, its such a beautiful city. Walking around there has been awesome, hopefully I'm there for a long time."
  • "Brock and I knew each other before we were drafted and have become friends. It's great to see his success and his game has transitioned really well."

12 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The risk is small but there is still a risk. Also it could have an impact on a TD pick up. But the point I was making is showing why the preference is to not burn a year. No one is saying it’s tge end of the world or even that it was a bad move. But it really comes down to having saved money vs not. Teams like the penguins are a perfect example.  guentzel didn’t burn a year and Because of penguins still have two more years of a 45+ point player only making 750k. Thats huge for a team that maxes out the cap every year. When he gets his raise in 2019 penguins will have to find a way to move cap in order to keep him. 

Possibly, I think the biggest impact is the confidence it will bring as he will have an idea of the type of competition he is up against.  

In a perfect world and for financial reasons there are some advantages to waiting.  Having said that, Pittsburgh is in a far different position that the Nucks.  Our high paid guys will be gone very soon (hopefully that includes Eriksson if possible) and it will be the Gaudettes, Boesers etc. who will be our higher paid "vets".  WE hopefully won't have older, huge earners like Crosby and Malkin so cap space should be available.  Still some risk but if there was even a remote chance Gaudette would choose to stay at Northern next year and test FS, it wasn't worth waiting.

10 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This is what I'm thinking. Green is the type of coach that isn't going to give a spot to a young player, rather the young player has to earn it. Putting him on the second unit gives him that opportunity to showcase the offensive part of his game, where Green might put him in Boeser's spot on the first unit if he sees a fit. 

Our second unit has looked better than our first since Boeser went down so I am happy if Gaudette gets a chance there.

Not sure if this has been asked or brought up before, but...why was Gaudette taken so late? (5th round)

Really like what he had to say, as far as being friends with Brock, liking the coach, needs to work on his skating, excited to play with the Canucks (and hopefully for a long time).

Brock turned heads last year with the last 9 games remaining. Hopefully Gaudette can do something similar with the last half dozen.

23 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I would.  I wrote off Cassels a long time ago - though it IS nice to see him improving in Utica with his extra ice time and responsibility, I would be shocked if he ever made the NHL.  Zhukenov just didn't work out.  His KHL contract will end and we'll let him walk.  Heck - he's had ONE point in 15 games in the KHL. If he can't make a sliver of impact there, he probably won't fare too well in the AHL either, and absolutely won't make it to the NHL.

I agree that they're both long-shots - particularly Cassels. However, Zhukenov just turned 21 this week. And lots of young players in the KHL are used very sparingly, and not put into positions where they have opportunities to score. Nikita Kucherov had 6 points in his 26 KHL games. Pavel Buchnevich scored 2 points in his first 12 KHL games. Nikita Soshnikov had 5 points in 33 games in his rookie KHL season. In fact, the week Zhukenov scored his lone KHL goal he was named "KHL Rookie of the Week".

This is the latest update on him from Dobber prospects (Link: https://dobberprospects.com/dmitri-zhukenov/):

February 2018 - With his junior eligibility completed, Zhukenov returned home to Russia and signed a two-year pact with Avangard Omsk of the KHL. Seeing limited minutes at even strength and little to no time on special teams, the former fourth-round pick tallied just a single goal in 15 contests. He's since been sent to Russia's second tier, the MHL, where he's found much more success, scoring seven goals and 23 points in 27 games. The Canucks will continue to own his rights until June 1st 2019 - after his KHL contract ends, but the organization feels they may be able to continue to own his rights for even longer but wouldn't specify the details. Cam Robinson

Zhukenov finished his season in the MHL with 34 points in 33 games. That part about the organization thinking they are able to retain his rights longer than another year is interesting.

44 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Can always count on someone to paint a brown smudge upon a rainbow of good news.

It simply ends up being a 2-year contract versus a 3-year, and can be advantageous for the team if the player is really good early.  Boeser's a prime example -- if we extend him now or in a year, it will likely cost less than in two years when he really gets established.  More risk too of course, but there's no one right way.

I have to admit that I was wanting them to sign him for the next season (3yr contract) and let him play in Utica for the POs.  If Pettersson signs after June (which is likely), he will come off his elc at the same time as AG.

What you are saying (regarding the next contracts) does make sense though.

Also, it appears that a lot of teams are signing entry level contracts that include this year. https://www.capfriendly.com/signings

In the end, I think that when you have a prospect that has become a Hobey Baker nominee or a highly ranked player (EP), you don't mess about with the 'dickering'.  I don't think that it sheds a very good light on the team; especially with future college draft picks.

So yeah, let AG play the remaining games and do some bonding with the other lads.  Snapshot view of the NHL will help his preparations in the off season.

Just now, IbanezRG said:

Gaudette seems to like Brocks office for a lot of his goals.

Hope Adam comes in and lights it up... puts some pressure on Brock to come in next year and re earn his spot light.

Internal competition is good.

Gaudette is gonna have to be on another level in these next 6ish games to steal Boeser's spot anywhere in the lineup. Boeser is a 30 goal scorer on our garbage team. Gaudette is also a center, so outside of the PP I think Boeser's spot is pretty safe.

Archived