The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Canada join the EU ?

kingofsurrey

3 minutes ago, Honeydew said:

Why? What benefits does Canada gain for joining the EU when we're not even on the same continent to fully utilize the benefits. Not only that I'm pretty sure we're still under the rule of a constitutional monarchy

Cyprus is EU and also not in the same continent....

EU is Canada's 2nd biggest trading partner.....

Plus -  you would get a EU passport......  you could finally go work in Zurich....

27 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Plus -  you would get a EU passport......  you could finally go work in Zurich....

PLUS you get to lose control of your monetary policy and have it dictated by bureaucrats in Brussels.

Oh yeah, how you gonna go work in Zurich when Switzerland is not part of the EU.

Even by your standards this is a pretty poor thread.

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

PLUS you get to lose control of your monetary policy and have it dictated by bureaucrats in Brussels.

You trust JT with your monetary policy....  Brussels looks pretty good in comparison. 

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

You trust JT with your monetary policy....  Brussels looks pretty good in comparison. 

What does JT have to do with monetary policy? Monetary policy is handled by the Bank of Canada. Which operates independently of the Federal Government.

You're way out of your depth on this one.

25 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Cyprus is closer geographically to Asia but culturally, politically and historically more akin to Greece / Europe.

I'm quite pro-European (anti-Brexit - everyone here should be by now looking at the state of negotiations. Thanks Teresa May) and wouldn't rule the idea out totally without further research, but I get the impression that it probably wouldn't work or gain any political traction.

I've seen the idea of a UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand customs union floated around. It's an interesting idea but like a lot of politics undoubtedly a complex issue.

21 hours ago, Honeydew said:

Why? What benefits does Canada gain for joining the EU when we're not even on the same continent to fully utilize the benefits. Not only that I'm pretty sure we're still under the rule of a constitutional monarchy

The last part is actually a greater challenge than the first. Especially seeing as the seat of that monarch just left the EU :P

Archived