The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

If QH can develop a shot to compliment his toolbox then watch out. 

His shot looks rushed IMO when it comes after some moves. He lets go a riser and off his back foot. 

He needs a solid point shot, both a better wrister and slapper. IMO. Hopefully this year with some strength development and tons of reps. Take the Kesler school of shot improvement. 

Spending time with EP40 and Boeser won’t hurt in the future either. 

• Upvote 3

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:16 AM, 250Integra said:

The Canucks alone have had Jordan Subban, Sean Pronger, and Fedor Fedorov...  :(

As well as Henrick, who is  Daniels Sedins younger brother younger brother. 6" minutes younger.

9 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

If QH can develop a shot to compliment his toolbox then watch out. 

His shot looks rushed IMO when it comes after some moves. He lets go a riser and off his back foot. 

He needs a solid point shot, both a better wrister and slapper. IMO. Hopefully this year with some strength development and tons of reps. Take the Kesler school of shot improvement. 

Spending time with EP40 and Boeser won’t hurt in the future either. 

In the future 3 on 3 OT, we can have EP+Brock+Quinn.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 2018-08-27 at 10:11 AM, higgyfan said:

I don't know if there's anyone currently playing that is like Hughes.  There has been some discussion around players from other eras though.

Some say he has the skating, edgework and puck handling of

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bobby+orr+Highlights&&view=detail&mid=6F1B944B776CE621A1D56F1B944B776CE621A1D5&&FORM=VRDGAR

Although Quinn lacks the physical game and massive goal scoring abilities of Orr.

Others have mentioned Phil Housley because Quinn's great passing and playmaking abilities.  Like Phil, he will likely have a massive amount of assists during his career.  Quinn doesn't have Phil's slapshot and probably won't score anywhere near the number of goals.

It's very hard to pinpoint a match for Hughes, as his style is quite unique. 

Paul coffey all the way

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Preseason rankings looking good for Q.

Another Hobey winner?

And maybe a national title for Hughes (and Lockwood)?

Should be a fun season to watch. 

Only downside would be that we likely won’t see Hughes (or Lockwood) signed until next summer, since they’ll very likely be still playing hockey for Michigan when the Canucks finish their season. So no late 2018-19 season NHL stints. Although possibly some Utica time if the Comets have a nice playoff run (which is looking quite possible with their roster this year).

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Preseason rankings looking good for Q.

Another Hobey winner?

And maybe a national title for Hughes (and Lockwood)?

Should be a fun season to watch. 

Only downside would be that we likely won’t see Hughes (or Lockwood) signed until next summer, since they’ll very likely be still playing hockey for Michigan when the Canucks finish their season. So no late 2018-19 season NHL stints. Although possibly some Utica time if the Comets have a nice playoff run (which is looking quite possible with their roster this year).

Could be a good thing as well. Don’t burn a year of his entry level deal by playing him in the last handful of games this year.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Could be a good thing as well. Don’t burn a year of his entry level deal by playing him in the last handful of games this year.

Very true. Next year, he’d be in the age 19 turning 20 category so he’d be slide ineligible on any 2018-19 effective contract signed in calendar 2019. So a 2019-20 effective contract gives us an extra year of ELC and delays his RFA status. Much as it’d be fun to see him in a Canuck uni for a handful of “garbage time” games, it’s probably better to get an extra year of control. Plus he could still ATO with Utica, which would likely give him a stretch of much more meaningful pro games, if the Comets are chasing a Calder Cup.

• Upvote 3

On 2018-08-28 at 11:40 PM, Glug Datt said:

Paul coffey all the way

Paul Coffey,

Phil Housley,

Bryan Leetch,

Heck even another Ryan Ellis but  on a much faster development time line. 

He adds bit of size he wouldn’t be that much smaller than Erik Karlsson atm.  Probably already plays better defence, may be at least equal in skating. His playmaking and offensive game is looking to be similar in ceiling. 

If he can develop a legit shot. OMG he could be freaking great. 

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Very true. Next year, he’d be in the age 19 turning 20 category so he’d be slide ineligible on any 2018-19 effective contract signed in calendar 2019. So a 2019-20 effective contract gives us an extra year of ELC and delays his RFA status. Much as it’d be fun to see him in a Canuck uni for a handful of “garbage time” games, it’s probably better to get an extra year of control. Plus he could still ATO with Utica, which would likely give him a stretch of much more meaningful pro games, if the Comets are chasing a Calder Cup.

This assumes that the canucks want to play tough with Hughes. Not worth the risk due to the college clause.  That shouldn’t exist.  As a draft possible prospect why would you not take the college option over jr?  

At least you are getting an in kind contribution of a degree.  

If you are a legit top tier guy, the worst outcome is to finish university and wait until August to pick the team you want. 

QH is not likely to make that move but is it worth one year of RFA status to risk antagonizing a guy that can take that route?

Better to give that up and get him under contract. There is loads of time to get him signed long term as I would think would be in the plans after his entry deal expires. 

Edited by Phat Fingers

@Phat Fingers: Boeser signed in March of 2017, as UND was eliminated early in the national tournament and didn’t make the Frozen Four that year. They won the previous year.

The Frozen Four runs April 11-13 in 2019 and the NHL season finishes April 6 (IIRC).

So it wouldn’t be playing hardball with Q to wait until the summer to sign him to a 2019-20 effective ELC. With Michigan looking like an early favourite this year, it’s quite likely they’ll still be playing hockey when the window for a 2018-19 ELC closes.

I’m sure that Vancouver will sign Q as soon as possible. It’s just looking likely that it’ll be for next season, as he probably won’t be available before the 2018-19 NHL regular season closes.

• Upvote 1

Like Gaudette last year and Boeser the year before, I don't think we can underestimate the value of a college (or junior) player getting a half-dozen or so NHL games under them before the summer.  We'll see when Gaudette comes in how prepared he is, but that "burned" year could well be offset by the steps they take to become NHL-ready sooner.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Like Gaudette last year and Boeser the year before, I don't think we can underestimate the value of a college (or junior) player getting a half-dozen or so NHL games under them before the summer.  We'll see when Gaudette comes in how prepared he is, but that "burned" year could well be offset by the steps they take to become NHL-ready sooner.

They definitely should sign Q at the tail end of the 2018-19 season, if he’s available. I’m just picking Michigan to go to the Frozen Four, which would preclude the option of a 2018-19 ELC due to scheduling issues (as the NCAA tournament runs later than the NHL regular season). But if Michigan bows out early in the tournament, then it’s absolutely the best decision to sign him the day after they’re eliminated and get him into a Canucks uni for a few late season NHL games.

EDIT: Hughes is an elite talent and you don’t delay getting him under contract. But if it happens to work out that he’s not available to sign until 2019-20, there’s definitely a benefit (compared to burning a year).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

@Phat Fingers: Boeser signed in March of 2017, as UND was eliminated early in the national tournament and didn’t make the Frozen Four that year. They won the previous year.

The Frozen Four runs April 11-13 in 2019 and the NHL season finishes April 6 (IIRC).

So it wouldn’t be playing hardball with Q to wait until the summer to sign him to a 2019-20 effective ELC. With Michigan looking like an early favourite this year, it’s quite likely they’ll still be playing hockey when the window for a 2018-19 ELC closes.

I’m sure that Vancouver will sign Q as soon as possible. It’s just looking likely that it’ll be for next season, as he probably won’t be available before the 2018-19 NHL regular season closes.

Apologies I had my years mixed up. Cool so let’s hope Michigan goes all the way!  

11 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Apologies I had my years mixed up. Cool so let’s hope Michigan goes all the way!  

Here’s hoping. An NCAA title and Hobey Baker win for Q. Not a bad way to close out his college career. And could prove to be nearly as much fun for Canucks fans as watching Pettersson last year.

EDIT: the 2018-19 NCAA season is gonna be a fun one. Hughes and a healthy Lockwood fighting for a national title with Michigan, plus regular viewing access (for pretty much the first time) for Rathbone now that he’s with Harvard. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME