The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I always thought it was mostly kids on the forum....I guess I was wrong about that...!   Flame away....!

No, you're not wrong.

Look at how much CDC has improved since school started..

Edit:  I am really looking forward to the time when we have Quinn Hughes passing to Pettersson; really can't seem to wait for it, even though this season is about to start with the first pre-season game tonight.  

Edited by Goal:thecup
Added Hughes comment.
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

I guess you haven't looked at the standings over the last few years.

Not only have they been above us  in the standings but they have the best player in the league and a pretty good number two center. They clearly a better team then us.

Lots of space on the Oilers board.  

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

No, you're not wrong.

Edit:  I am really looking forward to the time when we have Quinn Hughes passing to Pettersson; really can't seem to wait for it, even though this season is about to start with the first pre-season game tonight.  

Good things come to those that wait, it appears that a number of us have been waiting a long time. Here I was thinking I was the oldest.... 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

Not only have they been above us  in the standings but they have the best player in the league and a pretty good number two center. They clearly a better team then us.

McDavid is a great player, but he is payed a lot for a guy who plays no defense.  I don't think LD is even a decent center.  He's a better winger, no?  I think LD is way overpaid for what he brings.  I guess Edmonton needs to grossly overpay their players to keep them though.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

No, you're not wrong.

I am right there with you ....it is going to look really bad for the other team...any other team...trying to clamp down on those 2 even playing 5 on 5...

On the powerplay it is going to look silly at times...grown defensemen and goalies are going to be weeping between periods, frustrated in the knowledge that there is no way to stop that train...I almost feel bad for them already.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

McDavid is a great player, but he is payed a lot for a guy who plays no defense.  I don't think LD is even a decent center.  He's a better winger, no?  I think LD is way overpaid for what he brings.  I guess Edmonton needs to grossly overpay their players to keep them though.  

This. Between the two they are at what? 21 million. Bo is at 5.5 and if Brock can keep it up he may get 7 to 8. That leaves room for more quality depth. I truly believe that these teams with top of the NHL paid players that aren't great defensively are going to find it tough to round out a competitive team. 

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This. Between the two they are at what? 21 million. Bo is at 5.5 and if Brock can keep it up he may get 7 to 8. That leaves room for more quality depth. I truly believe that these teams with top of the NHL paid players that aren't great defensively are going to find it tough to round out a competitive team. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, rekker said:

While 'generational', 1st OA players are neat and all, I actually think a team is better off building around more, more diverse and still really high quality players.

Easier to manage cap hits, more depth for injuries, more diverse skill sets etc, etc. Depth wins championships, not 1st OA players.

Attempting this very thing with my fantasy team.

Edited by aGENT

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

While 'generational', 1st OA players are neat and all, I actually think a team is better off building around more, more diverse and still really high quality players.

Easier to manage cap hits, more depth for injuries, more diverse skill sets etc, etc. Depth wins championships, not 1st OA players.

100 percent agree. The Canucks may even be trending in this direction. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I am by no means an Oiler fan. The point that I was making is that we are not the only team with solid up and coming players. Some teams have better ones then ours. Just because we have one of the best prospect pools dosen't automatically transfer to the NHL ice. We may very well have some tough years yet.  The last 3 years have not been good and to think this one will better is jumping the gun.

I will be here whether we make the playoffs or end up last in the league.

McDavid is the best player in the league. LD is 22 years old and has two consecutive 70 point seasons. Who do we have that matches that?

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, I think this could well be true.  LAK is an example of a team full of "OK" players that form an excellent team overall.

I first started fumbling around with this idea when Gillis was trying to fit everyone under the cap.

I think Crosby/Malkin and Ovechkin may have, in a way, held their teams back a bit until management figured out how to work around top-paid "super stars".

It also creates distortions in the room if one or two guys are too far ahead of the rest; e.g. Barry Bonds in baseball with his own locker room (full of drugs), trainer, etc.

I hope we can keep Hughes, Pettersson, Boeser, and perhaps others from demanding the highest market value with the high character they all display, including Horvat of course.

I don't know enough about it but I would think something like long-term RFA contracts before they reach UFA status might could help. 

(Grammar learned from talking to a gorgeous Southern Belle in full huge dress that took up 3 -4 seats in the stands during a short trip to Georgia for The Masters.  Her beautiful response to my question was, "I might could do that". lol)

Oh well, great problem to have; just like it is going to be great to move some lesser players and prospects out of the system this year.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, appleboy said:

I wasn't aware they had played the 2018-19 season yet?   As far as the Oilers, with all that talent and all those number one picks they ended up a whopping 5 points ahead of Vancouver.   No, they are NOT clearly a better team.   Yes, they currently have more "high end" talent but they don't play like a team.   Given the prospect pools for the respective clubs, the likelihood of Vancouver not only having a "better" team but being ahead of the Oilers in the standings as early as a season or two from now and for many years following is quite high.

You have an odd interpretation of "better" and "team" let alone if you have the best player and a pretty good number two and you get 78 points - you are not much of a "team" but are simply an assemblage of talent that has not a clue how to play as a team.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I wasn't aware they had played the 2018-19 season yet?   As far as the Oilers, with all that talent and all those number one picks they ended up a whopping 5 points ahead of Vancouver.   No, they are NOT clearly a better team.   Yes, they currently have more "high end" talent but they don't play like a team.   Given the prospect pools for the respective clubs, the likelihood of Vancouver not only having a "better" team but being ahead of the Oilers in the standings as early as a season or two from now and for many years following is quite high.

You have an odd interpretation of "better" and "team" let alone if you have the best player and a pretty good number two and you get 78 points - you are not much of a "team" but are simply an assemblage of talent that has not a clue how to play as a team.

Try reading more then one comment.