The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Dahlin was playing on larger ice against lesser competition.  Quinn is already the better, and more dynamic player.  Dahlin will play for the Sabres this season, but honestly he should be on their farm team learning the NA game.  

Come on Alf you have no idea what your talking about. Dahlin played against men in arguably one of the best leagues outside of the NHL. Basically by your own admission then, Pettersson is not that great because he scored 56 points against a bunch of pansies... and I know you would never say that. Also for defencemen I'd argue that they have an easier time transitioning to the NHL because there's less places for a forward to move, making it easier to take your man.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Dahlin was playing on larger ice against lesser competition.  Quinn is already the better, and more dynamic player.  Dahlin will play for the Sabres this season, but honestly he should be on their farm team learning the NA game.  

The funny thing is that by posting this, you're also completely undermining Pettersson's accomplishments last season.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The funny thing is that by posting this, you're also completely undermining Pettersson's accomplishments last season.

Dahlin is a Dman.  He gets a lot of extra space and time compared to what Hughes got.  Pettersson is a C/W.  HTjats a completely different circumstance. 

Hughes will soon prove to all the Canuck’s haters, that he is way better than Dahlin.  

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, TGokou said:

Come on Alf you have no idea what your talking about. Dahlin played against men in arguably one of the best leagues outside of the NHL. Basically by your own admission then, Pettersson is not that great because he scored 56 points against a bunch of pansies... and I know you would never say that. Also for defencemen I'd argue that they have an easier time transitioning to the NHL because there's less places for a forward to move, making it easier to take your man.

I don’t see what the best player, clearly, in the 2017 draft (Pettersson) has to do with Dahlin.  Dahlin is a Dman, and on the Euro ice it’s way easier for D men.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Wow!  A lot of Quinn, and Canuck haters here tonight.  Is there no Sabre’s board?  

Quinn Hughes

Elias Pettersson

Both will be more impactful, impressive, and better NHL players than that ugly Sabre Dahlin.  

Rasmus Dahlin is the best D prospect of this generation. Hughes is great, nobody is disputing that, but it's like comparing Pierre Luc Dubois to Connor McDavid.

Maybe just let Quinn become great in his own way without attaching unrealistic expectations to him.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Dahlin is a Dman.  He gets a lot of extra space and time compared to what Hughes got.  Pettersson is a C/W.  HTjats a completely different circumstance. 

Hughes will soon prove to all the Canuck’s haters, that he is way better than Dahlin.  

Go to bed Alf. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Rasmus Dahlin is the best D prospect of this generation. Hughes is great, nobody is disputing that, but it's like comparing Pierre Luc Dubois to Connor McDavid.

Maybe just let Quinn become great in his own way without attaching unrealistic expectations to him.

Dahlin is hyped by eastern media.  He will struggle on the NA ice, where play is so fast.  Hughes will dominate, and prove to be the better player.  

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎08 at 1:50 AM, alfstonker said:

Errrrr no. Based on what. Dorsett hardly ever loses. I think he lost to Reeves and coincidentally Bieksa.

Big Dorsett fan here but lets not kidd ourselves . Dorsett got beat down constantly or hung on for dear life. He certainly never scared anyone.  It was his ferocity and fearlessness that made him a favorite of mine. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Dahlin is hyped by eastern media.  He will struggle on the NA ice, where play is so fast.  Hughes will dominate, and prove to be the better player.  

Even if their careers work out to be equal, you win on this one, imo.  Dahlin has been hyped for 2 years now.

2 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

I think you underestimate that part of his game. I've seen clips of him getting caught pinching and he uses his excellent speed to catch up and defend. He is actually very good at angling off players and forcing a turnover and then rushing up the ice creating scoring chances.

Go watch his shift by shift highlights, he's the real deal on both ends of the ice

Yeah he’s very good at recovering from mistakes, and part of that is he’s simply better than everyone else on the ice. Look at his penalty in the 3rd period vs Canada the other night though. Lost the puck at his own blue so he had to haul the guy down to stop a breakaway. 

In the NHL, these mistakes will come back to bite him more. Eventually, he will grow out of it, so I’m not worried. It’s just something to keep in mind when watching him develop

Edited by The_Rocket

7 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I feel like people who're saying that Dahlin isn't as dynamic offensively as Hughes mainly because he's not as good of a skater are forgetting about all those times Dahlin regularly made people look stupid. 

Related image

Image result for rasmus dahlin gif

Related image

Related image

Related image

Related image

As you can see, the list of examples isn't short, and there are still more that I remember that are out there. He can beat multiple defenders at will to create offense, just like Hughes. Don't forget, most of these are in the SHL against men as a 16/17 year old. Just because he doesn't move as fast or hold on to the puck as long as Hughes doesn't mean he's less dynamic or exciting offensively. 

Hughes was my best defenseman after Dahlin and my personal favourite in the draft, but Dahlin offers the same level of offense (maybe even a little bit better) with a much better defensive game. 

I was not aware anyone was saying Dahlin was not dynamic.   To say that is silly as he is a tremendously dynamic player.   What he isn't however, is an extreme risk taker which Hughes is.   Dahlin will make some nice offensive plays in his career but he will always be a D first player and do that probably to a Norris caliber degree several times.   Hughes will forget his end exists for stretches at a time and make everyone look silly - with far more examples than the cherry picked Dahlin examples.

Different players entirely.    Dahlin far more complete - Hughes faster and far more risk/reward.

• Upvote 1

While Quinn is confident and a big risk-taker, what he does NOT appear to be is one that makes silly face-palming mistakes that earn pizza status.  His passes don't always click, sometimes he gives the puck away, but it's rarely from having a "brain cramp" rather almost always from trying to make a great rather than good play.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I was not aware anyone was saying Dahlin was not dynamic.   To say that is silly as he is a tremendously dynamic player.   What he isn't however, is an extreme risk taker which Hughes is.   Dahlin will make some nice offensive plays in his career but he will always be a D first player and do that probably to a Norris caliber degree several times.   Hughes will forget his end exists for stretches at a time and make everyone look silly - with far more examples than the cherry picked Dahlin examples.

Different players entirely.    Dahlin far more complete - Hughes faster and far more risk/reward.

On 8/6/2018 at 2:53 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Again, I don't agree.  I don't think Dahlin will drive as much offense as he is not wired to do so.   I also don't think he will be as dynamic a skater or playmaker.   That all being said, if I was a coach/GM I would take Dahlin 10 times out of 10 over Hughes.   If I was an owner or a fan who wanted excitment and goals for, I would take Hughes.   

I just think that saying Dahlin isn't as dynamic offensively is a product of post draft homerism now that we know where everyone ended up. There's no serious argument that Hughes is better than Dahlin right now (honestly, I'd have the people who think that on ignore as they're homer vision is 32/20), but I can kind of see where people are coming from when they say that Hughes is more dynamic offensively. I just don't think it's true and it's minor bias towards our guy. This is coming from the biggest Hughes supporter leading up to the draft. 

Also, cherry picked Dahlin examples? Really? Did you watch the WJC? He does stuff like that every game against players his own age and fairly often against players in arguably the 2nd best league in the world as a 17 year old. 

Edited by Horvat is a Boss
  • Upvote 4