The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I feel like people who're saying that Dahlin isn't as dynamic offensively as Hughes mainly because he's not as good of a skater are forgetting about all those times Dahlin regularly made people look stupid. 

Related image

Image result for rasmus dahlin gif

Related image

Related image

Related image

Related image

As you can see, the list of examples isn't short, and there are still more that I remember that are out there. He can beat multiple defenders at will to create offense, just like Hughes. Don't forget, most of these are in the SHL against men as a 16/17 year old. Just because he doesn't move as fast or hold on to the puck as long as Hughes doesn't mean he's less dynamic or exciting offensively. 

Hughes was my best defenseman after Dahlin and my personal favourite in the draft, but Dahlin offers the same level of offense (maybe even a little bit better) with a much better defensive game. 

The only slight edges I'd give to Hughes is maybe his edge work/agility and even then they're close. But I'd say Hughes is better at finding the open man in the OZ. Dahlin usually uses his natural skills to break in for a quality shot, Quinn likes to draw everyone to him then pass it off to the open man.

• Upvote 1

After seeing this tournsment

surprused Utunen did not go late 2nd or 3rd

looks a lot like a Johnny oduya or hamhuis type player 

dis he have a better tourney than Woo? I thought so, but thought Woo looked fine

utinen just seems to play a bigger role for his team... thoughts?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

The only slight edges I'd give to Hughes is maybe his edge work/agility and even then they're close. But I'd say Hughes is better at finding the open man in the OZ. Dahlin usually uses his natural skills to break in for a quality shot, Quinn likes to draw everyone to him then pass it off to the open man.

Was about to say the same. Hughes and Dahlin are going change the NHL.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I feel like people who're saying that Dahlin isn't as dynamic offensively as Hughes mainly because he's not as good of a skater are forgetting about all those times Dahlin regularly made people look stupid. 

Related image

Related image

Related image

Related image

Related image

As you can see, the list of examples isn't short, and there are still more that I remember that are out there. He can beat multiple defenders at will to create offense, just like Hughes. Don't forget, most of these are in the SHL against men as a 16/17 year old. Just because he doesn't move as fast or hold on to the puck as long as Hughes doesn't mean he's less dynamic or exciting offensively. 

Hughes was my best defenseman after Dahlin and my personal favourite in the draft, but Dahlin offers the same level of offense (maybe even a little bit better) with a much better defensive game. 

Dahlin was playing on larger ice against lesser competition.  Quinn is already the better, and more dynamic player.  Dahlin will play for the Sabres this season, but honestly he should be on their farm team learning the NA game.  

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

16 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I'll take your word for it since you have seen him far more than I have.

I look at a package like this though (only two months worth of footage in the men's league) and I see him making rushes and sifting through players much like we expect Hughes would. If that's not the Hughes gear, then I guess Hughes will be outright incredible offensively to outdo Dahlin based on what little I've seen him be capable of.

Yeh I agree sifting through players and lacking finnish and being caught up ice much more than Hughes who most of the time it will be in the back of the net.  Oh well he is still a great defenseman but a hughes comes along once in a lifetime.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Dahlin was playing on larger ice against lesser competition.  Quinn is already the better, and more dynamic player.  Dahlin will play for the Sabres this season, but honestly he should be on their farm team learning the NA game.  

Yeah, righto!  We got ya, homer...

1 minute ago, cory40 said:

Yeh I agree sifting through players and lacking finnish and being caught up ice much more than Hughes who most of the time it will be in the back of the net.  Oh well he is still a great defenseman but a hughes comes along once in a lifetime.

Ditto!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You've lost your marbles if you think the ncaa boasts tougher competition than the SHL. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Related image

Related image

Related image

Related image

Related image

Dhalin lacks vision and most of his plays making people look stupid end up going the other way. Very good moves with a total lack of finish. Hey there were more talented players than Gretzky but none with the vision or hockey IQ. But hey Dhalins value will never be higher than it is right now. Then once he starts playing he will be a really good defenseman. But Hughes will be lights out and he will be the player other teams have no way to shut down. Most of the plays above resulted in nothing...…..

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, nergish said:

Would Bo Horvat not go higher in a redraft?

Hayton is a solid, Canadian centreman with a great demeanour. I personally wouldn't have touched him in the top 5, but Arizona is... different.

Zadina is filthy, I just think Arizona wanted a Shane Doan-type replacement, as they've already got a lot of slick, skilled guys, and no glue.

I can't think of a team that addressed their needs at the draft better than Vancouver, though. It's a match made in heaven for the franchise, and for Quinn himself.

He is going to have a friggen blast playing with our young core as we enter into another era of high-octane offence. 

Additionally, with Boeser, Demko, Gaudette, Hughes (and a few other maybes like Lockwood, Rathbone, Madden) all coming out of NCAA, we will be known as one of the first teams to truly dive headfirst into this shimmering pool of College hockey talent that's built up over the last half-decade or so. USA Hockey is crushing it right now, and I'm glad Benning and co. are all over it!

I can agree with this 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Lol.  No he wasn’t Alf.  Larger ice yeah, but not lesser competitors. 

And this kid NHL ready, and within a year, probably one of the best in the league.  

It sucks we we didn’t get him, but I’m damn excited to watch this kid play hockey.   Dahlin is going to be amazing. 

Edited by drummerboy

Your HoMeRiSm is strong tonight young one!! 

• Haha 1

Being a homer is fine because it is opinion based, but don't post false facts. SHL is a top 4 league in the world.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

11 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Compared to his offense, he’s pretty mediocre defensively. Not bad, but not good either. But his issues on defense are relatively simple fixes (most of it can be solved by keeping his stick down and keeping his mind set on defensive positioning when I’m his own zone). He just needs more expierence playing and his defense will improve. But let’s not pretend he’s an amazing defender in his own zone right now. It will come, just not yet. 

I remember Erik Karlsson was 24 years old winning Norris Trophies and his defensive game was still pretty bad. Is much better now, but it just goes to show how long it can take to develop that side of the game. There’s a reason why defensemen usually take longer to develop that forwards, and it’s because play without the puck can mostly only be learned the hard way: getting burned in game situations and learning from your mistakes. 

I think you underestimate that part of his game. I've seen clips of him getting caught pinching and he uses his excellent speed to catch up and defend. He is actually very good at angling off players and forcing a turnover and then rushing up the ice creating scoring chances.

Go watch his shift by shift highlights, he's the real deal on both ends of the ice

• Upvote 1