The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

If we are picking past 15, there could be a scenario where Spencer Knight is the BPA. 

Im very intrigued to see what happens with him. Its rare goalies go much higher than 20 anymore & 1st rounders are still rare cases.

Hes been talked about as the best G prospect (coming into the draft) since Vasilevsky. I know we have Demko & DiPietro but if hes a potential elite goalie, & the other players available are projects, do u pass on that? 

15 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

If we win 1OA I’d hate to be Benning as we should be picking kakko big time.

I agree, if he passed on J.Hughes it would be the most controversial draft ever. That one decision would sum up his whole career. If we did take J.Hughes the east coast media will say Kakko is the best player in the draft and how much we screwed up but at least that story will die quickly. I think if we pick first we take J.Hughes to unite the brothers and then try to find a gem with our second. 

If we pick second we will be in the best position IMO

Edited by kenhodgejr
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Isam said:

Turcotte hands down. The guy is a &^@#ing tank 200 ft of the ice.

I was thinking the same, seems more well rounded but they are ranked very closely on a lot of lists and Zegras does appear to have alot of room to fill out his frame still ala Tyler Madden. Zegras's 78 PM's also makes me think he isn't afraid to engage in battles. 

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I was thinking the same, seems more well rounded but they are ranked very closely on a lot of lists and Zegras does appear to have alot of room to fill out his frame still ala Tyler Madden. Zegras's 78 PM's also makes me think he isn't afraid to engage in battles. 

Zegras is more of a perimeter offensive player. Alot of those pim came from lazy hook calls off the backcheck. Still love zegras though and i do see him scoring alot in the nhl, but turcotte just does more

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Isam said:

Zegras is more of a perimeter offensive player. Alot of those pim came from lazy hook calls off the backcheck. Still love zegras though and i do see him scoring alot in the nhl, but turcotte just does more

Curious if you know what the lines look like for the U18 development team having three centers in Hughes, Zegras, and Turcotte? Is one of them playing wing for now?

22 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Curious if you know what the lines look like for the U18 development team having three centers in Hughes, Zegras, and Turcotte? Is one of them playing wing for now?

When healthy, they will run hughes and turcotte as the top two and shift zegras out to wing. Beecher would probably be the concensus three on the team and they rotate the fourth. I have even seen danny weight get a run in there. The last i saw of the team was at the five nations and turcotte and zegras were playing the middle.

Edited by Isam
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Curious who people like out of Turcotte, Dach or Cozens??

And how would u rank them?

Turcotte, dach, and cozens. Turcotte and dach are projected to be centers at the next lvl and have the higher hockey iqs. Turcotte is the best of those three. You can make a serious case that zegras is the better player then dach and cozens.

• Upvote 1

Benning mentioned that there would be some good D available and I wonder if he drafts a D with the 1st again this year.

Make playoffs - Draft best available D? (Soderstrom, York, Seider or Robertson?)

Don't make playoffs - Draft best available forward? (or Byram if he's there) 

I'm also intrigued with Bobby Brink. Even just for the name, sounds like a Spiderman character lol But he's also climbing the rankings a bit.

6 minutes ago, Isam said:

Turcotte, dach, and cozens. Turcotte and dach are projected to be centers at the next lvl and have the higher hockey iqs. Turcotte is the best of those three. You can make a serious case that zegras is the better player then dach and cozens.

I should have thrown Zegras into that too. Would u have him over the WHL guys?

I have Dach the highest atm followed closely by Turcotte, then Zegras & Cozens. But admittedly i dont know as much about the Americans.

Agree about IQ comment. Thats one concern ive had with Cozens, between Dach & Turcotte i really like Dachs size when considering his potential & the fact hes a good skater. Seems like hes been using his shot a bit more this year too.

What makes Turcotte better than Dach in your view? 

Curious how people rank these three:

BOLDY

KREBS

KALIYEV

i personally would go:

Krebs - think he would be the perfect LW for Horvat

Boldy: Boldy-Petey-Boeser

Kaliyev: same as Boldy

right now where we are sitting in draft rankings is a realistic spot for where we could finish. 

And that puts those three players in our range if we had all 3 available who would you take? 

Edited by R3aL
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, flat land fish said:

If we win 1OA I’d hate to be Benning as we should be picking kakko big time.

You know I think jack Hughes is amazing but I’m surprised Kakko isn’t getting more 1st overall consideration as well. I think I lean to a Kakko as well.

problem with Jack is he didn’t challenge himself this year. I think staying in the program another year was a mistake and he’s stagnated this year a little.

i personally think he should have gone NCAA or Europe. 

We've already got the best Hughes brother IMO. And we've already got the best Pettersson brother, and Tanev brother. Sorry Marcus, your bro in MIN is better.

I'd love to get Kakko, hoping for 2nd OA.

Kakko - Pettersson - Boeser

I'd be okay missing the playoffs if this were to happen ;)

• Cheers 1

Personally think with all the injuries, the Canucks fall to the bottom 5.

We likely end up picking between 5-8 with an outside chance of picking 1,2 or 3. I would hate to get the 1st overall and have to decide between Hughes and Kakko but perhaps we can trade down to the 2nd. Gut feeling says we are picking 3rd. With the 3rd I take Byram every single time, unless Kakko or Hughes fall. This kid is unreal and I could absolutely see him as a number 1 D with Huges. Our version of Seabrook and Keith.

If we pick outside the top 5, I would go with Dach or Turcotte with a close look at Cozens.

If only Benning could somehow land a mid to late first. Take a D if we take a forward with our own 1st, or a F if we take Byram.

Cannot wait for this draft. Super excited.

My draft list is

Kakko/Hughes

Hughes/Kakko

Byram

Dach

Turcotte

Cozens

Krebs

Boldy

Newhook

Kaliyev