The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

He has Kaliyev over Podkolzin, says all it needs to about Button's assessment of Russians. CDC will love his opinion though.

Based on just production this year, you gotta give the advantage to Kaliyev. Kaliyev has top 5 talent without the 2 way game. Both are high risk high reward, but Button is questioning his high level skills. 

Podkolzin was the unanimous 3rd OA for a long time, and then things changed for some reason. Why? He played well in the U18, won Silver. Does he have major character flaws? He is the complete package: size, speed, shot, passing, physicality, hockey IQ, competitiveness, defensive game...  Kaliyev, to me, look lazy.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Podkolzin was the unanimous 3rd OA for a long time, and then things changed for some reason. Why? He played well in the U18, won Silver. Does he have major character flaws? He is the complete package: size, speed, shot, passing, physicality, hockey IQ, competitiveness, defensive game...  Kaliyev, to me, look lazy.

Ya but his goal scoring numbers in the OHL compare to the following players: Tyler Seguin, Alex Debrincat, Jeff Skinner, Taylor Hall, Nail Yakupov, and Robby Fabbri. Has 40 goal potential, size, and is only 17 years old. If someone can teach him defense and to keep his feet moving could be a gem.

Edited by Bure_Pavel

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

https://www.tsn.ca/podkolzin-plummets-in-tsn-hockey-s-mock-draft-3-0-1.1296254

Looks like Craig Button sees what many of us see.  Podkolzin isn't as good as we thought.

Some odd movement in his rankings IMO. I’m surprised he had York falling three spots after what I thought was a very strong U18s for him. 

Also surprised seeing Broberg fall a spot after Button absolutely gushed about him every time he was on the ice. In fact he gushed about him to a point of borderline humour as a few times Broberg would then make a terrible mistake that Button seemed to not see nor acknowledge. I guess he was taking notes though as he had him fall a bit. 

On a side note I can’t wait to see Hughes and Kakko go head to head at the World Championship, and I’m very intrigued to see Seider. If he is as good as many on here have advertised then I’d be all for trading down a couple spots to snag him. 

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Considering Soderstrom is a smallish, and still physically maturing guy, it is certainly impressive he can play against men.  However, for D, the larger ice is a comfort for the smaller D man.  The fore check is not nearly so fast or heavy as over here.  That's why guys like Philip Larsen so so well on larger ice, but are terrible here.  Same goes for Liljegren with the Marlies.  Smaller guy, who just isn't made for the faster and heavier fore check here. 

Lilgegren is 6'0" 191 on the hockeynews and other sources say he is at least 193 lbs. He isn't small but he isn't big either. He is average size as the NHL average height is 6'1" and 200 lbs. 

It is amazing guys like Duncan Keith at 6'1" 192 can be so healthy and be so elite. Our guys that size constantly get broken. But then our guys no matter the size always get broken. :angry:

Edited by Kanukfanatic

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Can't see it.

Our 2nd, plus... ? Maybe.

Our 2020 1st (lottery protected)? Maybe.

Our 2019 10th  OA at the home town draft..... don't see it.

Besides, I doubt Nashville is looking for futures.

I just read a couple articles speculating on a Subban trade. Nashville wants a top 6 scoring forward. 

Vancouver only has 3 of those to begin with (and we are not trading Petey, Brock or Bo) so it just does not seem like a subban trade to Vancouver is a good fit. 

I suppose if part of the reason Nashville wanted to trade him is to get the 9 million per year salary off the books to throw money at a top 6 forward elsewhere, maybe we could offer a package to get him. But JB has constantly said he won't get rid of our best prospects. So what would be trade?

A 2020 lottery protected 1st, Goldy, and either Lind or Madden?  Maybe throw Sutter in?  I have no idea. We would take on a 9 million per year salary in Subban but I bet him and Hughes would rock it together. I am not advocating a trade, just speculating on what the Canucks could offer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

An expiring, mid 30's, $9m D? Even if he's still a pretty capable 2nd pair guy at that point, I doubt SEA takes him.

Similar deal to Edler. They're not going to be gung ho for an expiring mid 30's, $6m Edler either.

And if they miraculously do claim one... We clear cap space.

You never know. Maybe Seattle needs to get to the cap floor and they do take that mid 30s 9 million per year player. It is possible.

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Based on just production this year, you gotta give the advantage to Kaliyev. Kaliyev has top 5 talent without the 2 way game. Both are high risk high reward, but Button is questioning his high level skills. 

Two way guys with high compete level succeed in the NHL more often than guys with just raw talent anyway. Otherwise we'd talk more positively about Goldy or Shinkaruk. But maybe I am wrong.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

You never know. Maybe Seattle needs to get to the cap floor and they do take that mid 30s 9 million per year player. It is possible.

Well then we have an extra $9m in cap to spend on a younger player :) 

5 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I just read a couple articles speculating on a Subban trade. Nashville wants a top 6 scoring forward. 

Vancouver only has 3 of those to begin with (and we are not trading Petey, Brock or Bo) so it just does not seem like a subban trade to Vancouver is a good fit. 

I suppose if part of the reason Nashville wanted to trade him is to get the 9 million per year salary off the books to throw money at a top 6 forward elsewhere, maybe we could offer a package to get him. But JB has constantly said he won't get rid of our best prospects. So what would be trade?

A 2020 lottery protected 1st, Goldy, and either Lind or Madden?  Maybe throw Sutter in?  I have no idea. We would take on a 9 million per year salary in Subban but I bet him and Hughes would rock it together. I am not advocating a trade, just speculating on what the Canucks could offer.

Yeah, like I said, we're not really a fit as trading partners.

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yup, they just moved Fiala for Granlund because the didn't want to wait for him to mature. What the hell do they want with 2019 or 2020 picks who won't even likely be on the team for another 2-4+ years!?

They've got Fabbro to fill Subban's spot and need a legit top 6 F in trade for PK. We don't exactly have a surplus of those...

As much as I'd happily add Subban, we're poor trade partners with Nashville. I suppose there's the possibility for a 3 way trade or similar but it's not terribly likely IMO.

Yes him and Hughes would be a LOT of fun to watch and I'd happily add him but you need to have pieces the other team wants/needs. Just don't see it happening.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Two way guys with high compete level succeed in the NHL more often than guys with just raw talent anyway. Otherwise we'd talk more positively about Goldy or Shinkaruk. But maybe I am wrong.

Yeah the best guys have both, neither are easy to teach personally I would take Newhook over either. High skill, speed, smarts, and character is the winning formula. 

10 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah the best guys have both, neither are easy to teach personally I would take Newhook over either. High skill, speed, smarts, and character is the winning formula. 

When throwing other names in the hat for sure I'd rather have someone else. But when it comes to Button's mock draft it loses some value having Kaliyev over Podkolzin. The talent level I don't think is that different, definitely not different enough to rank Kaliyev over Podkolzin when you include the intangibles Podkolzin brings. But hey, clearly he and I differ in what we value in a player so I guess I shouldn't poo-poo his list. I could be very wrong about this draft in a few years. I was very wrong about past drafts. Lol.

I`ve been watching the playoffs and it is so physical and demanding on the players. I wonder if Caufield will have any impact if he ever gets to the playoffs one of these years. He was outstanding on Hughes` wing during the U18, but as some pointed out, he played against boys. Shooting on a 17 year old kid is much different than an NHL goalie, with NHL Defence. I`m seeing a lot of size (and toughness) from all teams still in, and speed. 

Podkolzin (if he drops)

Broberg

Seider

Boldy (maybe he`ll get faster)

Lavoie

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

When throwing other names in the hat for sure I'd rather have someone else. But when it comes to Button's mock draft it loses some value having Kaliyev over Podkolzin. The talent level I don't think is that different, definitely not different enough to rank Kaliyev over Podkolzin when you include the intangibles Podkolzin brings. But hey, clearly he and I differ in what we value in a player so I guess I shouldn't poo-poo his list. I could be very wrong about this draft in a few years. I was very wrong about past drafts. Lol.

There have been rumours that Podkolzin is signed for two more years in Russia, Kaliyev is already playing in North America so maybe that's what he's basing it on?? Just my thoughts...

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I`ve been watching the playoffs and it is so physical and demanding on the players. I wonder if Caufield will have any impact if he ever gets to the playoffs one of these years. He was outstanding on Hughes` wing during the U18, but as some pointed out, he played against boys. Shooting on a 17 year old kid is much different than an NHL goalie, with NHL Defence. I`m seeing a lot of size (and toughness) from all teams still in, and speed. 

Podkolzin (if he drops)

Broberg

Seider

Lavoie

Smaller players can have an impact, Marchand is a good example of that.   

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

There have been rumours that Podkolzin is signed for two more years in Russia, Kaliyev is already playing in North America so maybe that's what he's basing it on?? Just my thoughts...

Dumb to base your reason on that. These are kids, 17 and 18 years old. They'll likely need 2 years of development in all likelihood anyway. Juolevi was a top 10 pick and hasn't played a single NHL game. If GMs, with far more resources and knowledge than myself, are as impatient as me a fan than they probably shouldn't have their jobs. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Podkolzin (if he drops)

Broberg

Seider

Lavoie

Yeah Caufield is so tempting but also somewhat concerning because of the playoff grit factor. He could be like Johnny Gaudreau who is basically a point per game player in the regular season and a 0.5 ppg player in the playoffs. 

Even Brendan Gallagher, who plays with a ton of heart and grit (and is one of my favourite players) slips a little, being 0.6 ppg in the regular season to 0.5 in the playoffs. 

I’m really hoping for Boldy. I think that his quality of skating and insane hockey IQ can offset his lack of top end speed. 

And I'm extremely excited to see Seider play in the upcoming World Championship. I hope he blows Benning and Brackett’s socks off and forces their hands. 

Edited by YearoftheNuck

I think Seider would be a great fit with what we have currently. He sounds like a perfect compliment to either Hughes or Juolevi and fills a positional need. His style of game is exactly what we need. Acquiring the type of player Seider could be is next to impossible unless you give up a Pettersson or Horvat. A comparable that comes to mind is Trouba; rock solid on defense with the physical ability to match almost anyone effectively playing on the top pair. 

I can't say I've seen him a lot or I'm confident he'll turn out, but that sounds like a really enticing and valuable piece to add to our group. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1