The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

40 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Signings and trading for draft picks during a rebuild are two areas where Benning has not excelled. He loves his one for one hockey trade swapping depth players. 

Again:

51 minutes ago, aGENT said:

When you don't have much to sell, it's hard to add picks. Particularly valuable high ones.

Benning can't force other GM's to give up picks just because he wants them.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Again:

Pretty much every other rebuilding team has found a way to add picks, I dont think we are the most worthless team in the league and none of our players have value. Regular NHL players usually have at least a 4th round value. I think we need an assistant GM who can wheel and deal. 

Tradable assets?

2020 1st

Goldobin

Hutton

Gaudette

Prospects - DiPietro, Brisebois, Gadjovich, Lind, Lockwood, Madden

Others that could go

Sutter

Eriksson

Tanev

Baertschi

Not great, but surely Benning could pick up a couple more 2nds? Maybe even an extra 1st with the right package?

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Pretty much every other rebuilding team has found a way to add picks, I dont think we are the most worthless team in the league and none of our players have value. Regular NHL players usually have at least a 4th round value. I think we need an assistant GM who can wheel and deal. 

I dare you to compare what the Rangers, for example, had to sell off vs what Benning was left with post-Gillis. Not all 'rebuilding teams' are at the same starting point. After we moved Kesler, Bieksa and Garrisson, we had very little of saleable/movable assets.

Sedins - immovable.

Edler - no waive/immovable.

Hamhuis - very limited movability due to NTC and low balled on him by one the few teams that were possible as they knew they had all the leverage.

Vrbata - plummeted his value with pouting/poor play and utilized his NTC to highly limit partners to all but nil.

About the only guy you could argue he should have got value for and didn't was Tanev and even then you give him a bit of a mulligan as the Vegas ED tanked D trade values RIGHT when we should have traded him. Since then he's pretty much been injured any other time you'd look to move him. Never mind it's questionable what value we could have got for him at that point vs just keeping him on the team. By all means, I assume he's moved this year given he's expiring (before he gets hurt again damn it!) but moving him for a late 3rd or something last summer with no one to replace him.... Better off just keeping him IMO.

Beyond that, we largely got what we could for the remaining spare parts we had for trade. Again, Benning can't force other GM's to give him picks for our loose collection of spare parts.

• Upvote 3

What I find odd, is that Benning traded the Canucks best prospect for a lesser younger prospect. I wonder how aggressive he is when dealing with other GMs. Does he come off desperate and insecure? He's only acquired 2 extra 6ths for this draft. That's pretty pathetic really. He's had 2 years to plan for this big day. Hopefully he's got a deal up his sleeve to get more picks. And no more 6ths please.  

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Tradable assets?

2020 1st

Goldobin

Hutton

Gaudette

Prospects - DiPietro, Brisebois, Gadjovich, Lind, Lockwood, Madden

Others that could go

Sutter

Eriksson

Tanev

Baertschi

Not great, but surely Benning could pick up a couple more 2nds? Maybe even an extra 1st with the right package?

Only ones I'd like to see moved would be Eriksson and Sutter but honestly. I like having Sutter and Eriksson is hard to move. I like staying the course as is.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I dare you to compare what the Rangers, for example, had to sell off vs what Benning was left with post-Gillis. Not all 'rebuilding teams' are at the same starting point. After we moved Kesler, Bieksa and Garrisson, we had very little of saleable/movable assets.

Sedins - immovable.

Edler - no waive/immovable.

Hamhuis - very limited movability due to NTC and low balled on him by one the few teams that were possible as they knew they had all the leverage.

Vrbata - plummeted his value with pouting/poor play and utilized his NTC to highly limit partners to all but nil.

About the only guy you could argue he should have got value for and didn't was Tanev and even then you give him a bit of a mulligan as the Vegas ED tanked D trade values RIGHT when we should have traded him. Since then he's pretty much been injured any other time you'd look to move him. Never mind it's questionable what value we could have got for him at that point vs just keeping him on the team. By all means, I assume he's moved this year given he's expiring (before he gets hurt again damn it!) but moving him for a late 3rd or something last summer with no one to replace him.... Better off just keeping him IMO.

Beyond that, we largely got what we could for the remaining spare parts we had for trade. Again, Benning can't force other GM's to give him picks for our loose collection of spare parts.

All the players below could have been traded for picks not including the players you listed, Tanev should have been traded a two trade deadlines ago as well. Benning's strength is his drafting and you have to play to your strength. I believe he has given away more picks then he has received. 

Anders Nilsson

Jonathan Dahlén

Thomas Vanek

Gustav Forsling

Brad Richardson

Shawn Matthias

Nick Bonino

Adam Clendening

Nic Dowd

I think the 8th overall is in play. Holland will be desperate to make a splash early. If he doesn’t turn things around quick McDavid will ask for a trade. He can’t wait for any draft picks to develop. I can see him trying to move Pool Party as well. 

Hutton, Sutter (50% retention) and 2020 1st for 8th overall?  

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think the 8th overall is in play. Holland will be desperate to make a splash early. If he doesn’t turn things around quick McDavid will ask for a trade. He can’t wait for any draft picks to develop. I can see him trying to move Pool Party as well. 

Hutton, Sutter (50% retention) and 2020 1st for 8th overall?  

If anything Holland is anything but a desperate dude.

20 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

All the players below could have been traded for picks not including the players you listed, Tanev should have been traded a two trade deadlines ago as well. Benning's strength is his drafting and you have to play to your strength. I believe he has given away more picks then he has received. 

Anders Nilsson

Jonathan Dahlén

Thomas Vanek

Gustav Forsling

Brad Richardson

Shawn Matthias

Nick Bonino

Adam Clendening

Nic Dowd

Nilsson was moved for a pick (6th, among other pieces).

A pouting, struggling forward prospect was worth what picks exactly? Again, Benning can't force other GM's to give up picks just because he wants them.

Vanek Benning flat out told us nobody was offering picks. I'll happily take Motte, thanks.

Forsling...minor loss.

Bonino, Clendenning and a 2nd got us Sutter and a barely later 3rd

Dowd...worth maybe what, a 5th/6th?

This is what you folks like to complain about but there's really no meat on those bones.

Edited by aGENT
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I have a bad feeling he's going to turn that organization around in a hurry. I'll bet he somehow trades Lucic. I think if the GM is confident and aggressive in his dealings, it trickles down throughout the organization. Coaches then have confidence in their GM, who will most likely improve the roster, which translates to the players. The Oilers are going to become a confident bunch soon.

23 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Nilsson was moved for a pick (6th, among other pieces).

A pouting, struggling forward prospect was worth what picks exactly? Again, Benning can't force other GM's to give up picks just because he wants them.

Vanek Benning flat out told us nobody was offering picks. I'll happily take Motte, thanks.

Forsling...minor loss.

Bonino, Clendenning and a 2nd got us Sutter and a barely later 3rd

Dowd...worth maybe what, a 5th/6th?

This is what you folks like to complain about but there's really no meat on those bones.

They all add up over time if your are good at drafting, not to mention we currently have a log jam of  bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing left Dmen. 

13 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

They all add up over time if your are good at drafting, not to mention we currently have a log jam of  bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing left Dmen. 

Really, all the whining and vitriol amounts to a couple late picks...:bored:

Log jam... Great! Maybe we can move some for picks! :lol:

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

More Likely: Granlund + 6th for [Insert third liner] :frantic:

Of course, that sounds right up 'Dim-Jim's' alley! :rolleyes:

With reductionist, myopic crap like that, you should apply to Province Sports! :lol:

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Yeah, as much as I'd love to add the 8th OA, I don't think Holland's in any hurry to get rid of it. And I'm not sure I want to take on Lucic for the privilege (or that Holland's even prepared to give it up for doing so). 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I have a bad feeling he's going to turn that organization around in a hurry. I'll bet he somehow trades Lucic. I think if the GM is confident and aggressive in his dealings, it trickles down throughout the organization. Coaches then have confidence in their GM, who will most likely improve the roster, which translates to the players. The Oilers are going to become a confident bunch soon.

I was thinking this exact thing and not just about the Oilers, most of the teams that missed in the West are closer than a lot of people think. The Oilers fired their Coach and GM this season and everyone says it was a disaster of a season yet if they win just one more game a month Oct-Apr then they tie with the VGK in 3rd. This is literally the same scenario for Ari., Van., Chi., Ana., Min. Now I know not each of these teams is in the same boat in terms of personnel, coaches etc but I think it speaks to the parity in the league. I mean think about that...one win a month doesn't seem like an insurmountable obstacle even in April when teams only play 4-5 games max. Some of these teams could have a great season next year and finish with 90+ pts and still not make the playoffs, 90pt teams in the NHL are good teams, just rarely ever playoff teams.

2 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

most of the teams that missed in the West are closer than a lot of people think

That's the thing eh? The Canucks might get good picks at the draft, but so will most of the other teams. In EDM's case, they're picking two spots ahead of us. If the Canucks start next season with Eriksson, Sutter, Granlund, etc. then I'm afraid we may be in for another season of frustration. Canucks could sure use some good luck. Maybe Juolevi will be ready and steady, maybe Tryamkin comes back, Maybe Markstrom and Demko steal us a bunch of games. Pettersson and Hughes are God-sends, as those two players are super elite and give the Canucks a chance every night. They need more of this. Benning needs to try and get another 1st.