The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

Kakko outplaying J Hughes today in USA vs Finland... and it wasn't really close. TSN pumping up Hughes' tires saying it's not about how good they are now but how good they could be in the future but, I just see an overall much better player with just as much room to grow in Kakko. Won't be an easy choice for NJ picking #1.

• Upvote 1

Newhook for me. He could play LW on our top line. We can afford to be patient and wait for him while he is in college. He loves Victoria and the west coast so we wouldn't  have  to worry about him signing elsewhere. He looks like a future superstar with dynamic skating who would help make a scary power play with Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, and Horvat. 

In a couple years 

Newhook Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Lockwood

Virtanen Madden McEwen   

Motte Gaudette Lind 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Stech said:

Kakko outplaying J Hughes today in USA vs Finland... and it wasn't really close. TSN pumping up Hughes' tires saying it's not about how good they are now but how good they could be in the future but, I just see an overall much better player with just as much room to grow in Kakko. Won't be an easy choice for NJ picking #1.

Kakko looked very very good. Made suter look like an ahler in OT.

Edited by 73 Percent

25 minutes ago, Stech said:

Not really a surprise, he was miles better at the WJHC, but Hughes got a pass because of injury. 

• Upvote 1

Hall - Hischier - Kakko

I'm thinking NJ is going to pass on Hughes. But Hughes will still be a star in NYC.

I keep flip-flopping between safe pick and risk-taking. Part of me knows they need better D, so Soderstrom, Broberg or Seider. But then another part of me says I hope they take a chance on scoring a forward Caufield or Newhook.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Kakko looked very very good. Made suter look like an ahler in OT.

NJ could take Kakko, NYR could like Podz (they have gone off board for Russians prior).  Kakko is making a case for the 1st OA.  I kinda hope Hughes slides down to 3.  

That would make Byram available at 4 and I want JB to make a.move with the Lanche.  It's not realistic, but I am on a hockey forum to stay awake during a mandatory training session for work... snooze fest.  

If somehow we could land Byram, our defence will be rebuilt.  Switch Hughes to right side, have him and Bryam as our future top pairing and OJ and Woo as our second.  Stecher and Trymakin can be our bottom pairing.  

That would be a sick young defence in 2 years.  

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hall - Hischier - Kakko

I'm thinking NJ is going to pass on Hughes. But Hughes will still be a star in NYC.

I keep flip-flopping between safe pick and risk-taking. Part of me knows they need better D, so Soderstrom, Broberg or Seider. But then another part of me says I hope they take a chance on scoring a forward Caufield or Newhook.

I see NJ taking Kakko.  Fits perfectly into their top line.  I can never predict who NYR are going to pick with a enigmatic Russian available in their range.  Podz is an enigma and Russian, so NYR are likely very interested. 

Hughes should go 2 if Kakko goes at 1, but it's the Rangers.  

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hall - Hischier - Kakko

New hook is enticing, there is a good mix of forwards at 10, not sure about the quality of d men after Bryam in the top ten.  

Honestly there are good options all around.  I like Krebs but Boldy, Caufield, Newhook or Zegras could be there and picked.  

Sieder and Broberg are kinda wildcards and Soderstrom is a guy that could.be had by trading down.  

On 5/12/2019 at 11:39 AM, Canucks Curse said:

Dipietro is a great trade chip

beartschi abd dipietro for ristoleinen

i think buffalo is short on goalies and may lose skinner

beartschi is at least half decent top 6 if he stays healthy

sign one of duchenne/lee/nelson

skinner or nyquist are a bit less desirable for me BC they lack grit 

draft krebs or seider

16 hours ago, theo5789 said:

They have Luukkonen as an up and coming goalie already. They would want someone ready now if they even consider giving up their top deployed dman.

This.

If anything, they'd want Makrstrom of our goalies I'd imagine. Be a hell of a ballsy move to trade Marky for Risto and sign a UFA to tandem with Demko.

It would be great if any of the top guys fell (Byram, Podkolzin, Turcotte, Krebs), but the problem with that is EDM and ANA are picking ahead of us. I think this is Benning last Draft, unless he works some magic this offseason and gets them into the playoffs next year. This #10 pick is a big one. Will he draft a Pettersson or Hughes? Or will he draft a Virtanen or Juolevi? I don't mean to disrespect Olli, but until he plays in the NHL, it was a bad pick. Hopefully he plays this year and becomes a Top 4 Dman, redeeming himself.

11 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

If NJ takes Kakko and NYR offers us the 2nd pick for Boeser and our first rounder next year. Do we take it? 

It would need to be Boeser for the second overall + +.

Boeser is a proven commodity. There is no generational talents this year. No guarantied stars.

Edited by appleboy
  • Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, appleboy said:

It would need to be Boeser for the second overall + +.

Boeser is a proven commodity. There is no generational talents this year. No guarantied stars.

Everybody seems to think stacking uncertain prospects and depth scoring gets you up that high. If we want to get in the top 3 prepare for the other team to ask for Horvat or Boeser. It’s just not worth it to move up that high in the draft. 10 is a good spot just pick BPA with our pick and keep all our youth and picks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

This.

If anything, they'd want Makrstrom of our goalies I'd imagine. Be a hell of a ballsy move to trade Marky for Risto and sign a UFA to tandem with Demko.

You reckon a Goalie will command a 24 year old 6'4'' D, a RHD no less, coming off four consecutive 40 point years? 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think this is Benning last Draft, unless he works some magic this offseason and

Let me see, Benning has built a very good prospect pool through the draft, and in a short time, changed from an old team to a young team that makes mistakes. Even nhl players can see the obvious change. Lucic said so, that’s why he wants to come home now.

And now you feel Benning is not building the right way???? OOOOOOOKKKaaaaaayyyy. I seeeee!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

You reckon a Goalie will command a 24 year old 6'4'' D, a RHD no less, coming off four consecutive 40 point years? 

Alone? Probably not. 

But Risto's value's also not at a high water mark either given his green jacket award this past season (though IMO, some of that is situational).

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

It would be great if any of the top guys fell (Byram, Podkolzin, Turcotte, Krebs), but the problem with that is EDM and ANA are picking ahead of us. I think this is Benning last Draft, unless he works some magic this offseason and gets them into the playoffs next year. This #10 pick is a big one. Will he draft a Pettersson or Hughes? Or will he draft a Virtanen or Juolevi? I don't mean to disrespect Olli, but until he plays in the NHL, it was a bad pick. Hopefully he plays this year and becomes a Top 4 Dman, redeeming himself.

If Benning has a good draft and doesn't screw up free agency I think he'll be back.

We should be playoff competitive next year if only for the reason our defence will be totally different and of higher quality. Just getting rid of Guddy and POuliot is huge.

Need some guys to step up/ recreate themselves. Goldy, Pearson, Baertschi, Leivo, Spooner, Virtanen and Gaudette are all question marks with regards to how much they will produce or even if they'll be here. My guess for the start of next season involves waiving Granlund, Eriksson, Spooner, Schaller and Biega will be waived.

Goldy-Pettersson-Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-Pearson

Leivo-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Sutter

Motte

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Hutton-Schenn

Sautner

Really hoping Goldy has a solid start to the year. Even if to just increase his trade value. Kids got the skills and just needs to come in ready to compete