The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

54 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Comets down 4-3 but OJ and Dahlen may be having their best games in AHL so far.   OJ is currently plus 1 with 2 helpers and could have 4 and Dahlen also has two assists.   Very fast paced game.   The skating is very impressive.

Imagine how good this team could be once they get a few key players back from injury and also from the big club.

4 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Imagine how good this team could be once they get a few key players back from injury and also from the big club.

A few people on here were predicting that the Comets would be Calder Cup contenders but with another loss tonight the Comets are now 1 - 6 at home. I would hold back on the "imagine how good this team could be" predictions.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

My comment was in reference as to where they are now. With Boucher, Archibald, Gaunce and possibly Gaudette and Biega re-joining the ranks they should be able to improve on the overall outcomes considerably.

Unfortunately Gaudette probably played his last AHL game last month 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, A Skylit Drive said:

That remains to be seen. If the Canucks incur no further time lost injuries and the likes of Sutter, Baertschi and Beagle come back from injury, there is a good chance that he may get sent back down at least till the TDL as he is exempt from waivers

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

My comment was in reference as to where they are now. With Boucher, Archibald, Gaunce and possibly Gaudette and Biega re-joining the ranks they should be able to improve on the overall outcomes considerably.

57 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

A few people on here were predicting that the Comets would be Calder Cup contenders but with another loss tonight the Comets are now 1 - 6 at home. I would hold back on the "imagine how good this team could be" predictions.

44 minutes ago, A Skylit Drive said:

While Kulbakov has been better than expected, I think the most important addition would be Demko, who apparently is making progress and is, we hope, not too far away.

Even when the Comets were healthy (apart from Demko) at the beginning of the season, they were were not as good as a lot of people had been hoping and expecting. I think they will be fortunate to make the playoffs this year, but I hope they can at least contend for the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Being at the game my summary would be - "an even match between two not-so-good teams" .   At times it was like the game was being played on foot and in slush rather than with skates on ice.  Painfully slow.  Take away the 2 Comet goals during the 5 minute power play, including a brief 5-on-3, and it's not even close.  There was probably a 30 minute stretch where the Comets mustered 2 shots on goal.   Can't fault either team for effort but the lack of skilled young players was evident.  Look at the score sheet - Kero (2), Chaput and Grenier with one each for Laval- all AHL depth signings and not prospects.   The bright spot if you are a Canuck fan interested in prospects would be the continued solid play of McEwen who added a marker, shows signs of grit and skill, and is worth watching.  

15 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Does anyone know the name of Nashville's AHL team?

Nashville uses the Milwaukee Admirals.  The Preds are well known for the theory of the road to Nashville travels through Milwaukee.  They firmly believe that time spent in the AHL is required for development and adjusting to professional hockey in North America except for the very elite prospects.

12 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

I am not sure who was predicting that.   I see a very young team by AHL standards with at least 1/2 the roster seemingly learning how to play hockey at the professional level - even those who may be into a second year but have been delayed due to injury etc.   Even their goalie last night looked like a Vezina candidate in first period and then started chasing the game a bit and let in two most CHL goalies would save.

Team seems to be exactly what it should be - a development team for young professional hockey players.   I don't see this lineup, even with injured players back, as contending for championships in a league that has some very heavily skewed veteran lineups.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am not sure who was predicting that.   I see a very young team by AHL standards with at least 1/2 the roster seemingly learning how to play hockey at the professional level - even those who may be into a second year but have been delayed due to injury etc.   Even their goalie last night looked like a Vezina candidate in first period and then started chasing the game a bit and let in two most CHL goalies would save.

Team seems to be exactly what it should be - a development team for young professional hockey players.   I don't see this lineup, even with injured players back, as contending for championships in a league that has some very heavily skewed veteran lineups.

I don't remember exactly who but there were a few overly enthusiastic fans that thought this team would be a Calder Cup contender based on the strength of the prospects that would be in Utica this season. Would have to scroll back to September in this thread and some of the individual player treads for examples.

Many CDC fans just don't understand how big of a jump it is to go from juniors or Europe to the AHL.  The mindset that this is just the minors makes it hard for many to understand the struggles players like Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu etc will have adapting to this league.  I also think that some of these players that were used to putting up big numbers in juniors are surprised when they don't have the same success here. The AHL is a wake up call for players and fans alike. 

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

On 9/28/2018 at 10:20 AM, Kootenay Gold said:

IMO The Comets will be one of the top teams in the AHL this year and should be challenging for the Calder Cup at seasons end. Great environment for out future young stars to develop in!

On 9/28/2018 at 10:50 AM, UticaHockey said:

On paper this is the best group of prospects that the Comets have ever started a season with.  The veteran and depth group is solid as well although I think it is behind that of the 2014-15 team that went to the Calder Cup finals.  I am more excited to watch this group start the year than any of the previous teams to wear the U.  But games are not played on paper so I will wait and see before making any predictions let alone a Calder Cup championship.

They still need to become a team with the right chemistry to do well on the ice.  Cull still has to take 20 individuals each game and get everyone to accept their role for the betterment of the team.  Not everyone can play on the top two lines and the power play.  How well they commit to playing away from the puck in the defensive zone and who is on board with blocking shots will determine if this is a top of the division team or one that stays in the middle of the pack.

The other wildcard is how long it takes for the first year pros in North America to develop into impact players.  Yes this is the AHL and not the NHL but very few first year pros set this league on fire.

I want back and found one example of the lofty predictions (there were more) and my response.  Even I was cautiously optimistic but the 1 - 6 start at home knocked me back to reality in a hurry.  

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I want back and found one example of the lofty predictions (there were more) and my response.  Even I was cautiously optimistic but the 1 - 6 start at home knocked me back to reality in a hurry.  

LOL... I figured that you would find my lofty prediction. That being said... I do wonder how much different the outcomes of games played already would have been with a healthy Demko, a Jasek that showed so much promise at the end of last season and having Gaudette actually playing out the season with the Comets. IMO Gaudette would likely have become the # 1 center fairly quickly seeing as Kero has been a bit of a disappointment there. I was hoping he was an upgrade to Chaput but has not shown that so far. As for the D... They are missing Holm and Weircioch and it does not appear that any of the prospects are quite ready to fill their shoes. I still think this team has a shot at making it to the playoffs this year as I am ever the optimist... One has to be in order to be a Canucks and Comets fan!

3 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

I don't remember exactly who but there were a few overly enthusiastic fans that thought this team would be a Calder Cup contender based on the strength of the prospects that would be in Utica this season. Would have to scroll back to September in this thread and some of the individual player treads for examples.

Many CDC fans just don't understand how big of a jump it is to go from juniors or Europe to the AHL.  The mindset that this is just the minors makes it hard for many to understand the struggles players like Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu etc will have adapting to this league.  I also think that some of these players that were used to putting up big numbers in juniors are surprised when they don't have the same success here. The AHL is a wake up call for players and fans alike. 

Well said.   I doubt many realize how good a league AHL actually is.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

LOL... I figured that you would find my lofty prediction. That being said... I do wonder how much different the outcomes of games played already would have been with a healthy Demko, a Jasek that showed so much promise at the end of last season and having Gaudette actually playing out the season with the Comets. IMO Gaudette would likely have become the # 1 center fairly quickly seeing as Kero has been a bit of a disappointment there. I was hoping he was an upgrade to Chaput but has not shown that so far. As for the D... They are missing Holm and Weircioch and it does not appear that any of the prospects are quite ready to fill their shoes. I still think this team has a shot at making it to the playoffs this year as I am ever the optimist... One has to be in order to be a Canucks and Comets fan!

I'd also add that I didn't see Dahlen struggling as much as he has given his small taste of the A last year. Though he does seem to be coming around in the last week or so, so that's a good sign.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I never expected Gaudette's stay in Utica to last very long as he would be the first injury call up and the revolving door of injuries would keep him up there.  Realistically what percentage of a season do the Canucks have all 23 players that they start the season with all healthy at the same time?  Losing Gaudette exposed the lack of skill at center in Utica which is something I (and other Utica posters) have been saying for a couple years now.  The injury to Demko certainly has hurt the Comets but if so much of the Comets success depends on the goalie then you can hardly call this a championship quality roster.  Losing Boucher and Archibald was another big blow to the team but the Comets were not winning at home even with them on the roster and playing.

13 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Lots of the season left to play yet so it remains to be seen if the team progresses to the point of vying for a playoff spot.

There are currently only two of eight teams in the Comets division above 500 so anything can happen. The top four make the playoffs.