The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Neal [5 years x $ 5.75m]

11 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

LOL yeah cuz people talk about the 4th line center when they think of top teams. I am saying its going to be close in the Pacific and that means having a Connor McDavid, Dr Drai and the Nuge is an edge that most of the pacific can't equate to. IMO SJS will be better though. Vegas I am assuming will be above average, but I don't expect a repeat performance and Frankly Calgary has some nice nice pieces, enough that they will be very much in the mix for a wildcard spot if they don't get third in the PAC.

They needed vet leadership that leads by example on and off the ice and a player that can score and drive play...they got that with Neal...maybe he can get some of their star players off the nose candy.

16 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

LOL yeah cuz people talk about the 4th line center when they think of top teams. I am saying its going to be close in the Pacific and that means having a Connor McDavid, Dr Drai and the Nuge is an edge that most of the pacific can't equate to. IMO SJS will be better though. Vegas I am assuming will be above average, but I don't expect a repeat performance and Frankly Calgary has some nice nice pieces, enough that they will be very much in the mix for a wildcard spot if they don't get third in the PAC.

LoL ya cuz Edmonton didn't have those same players last year.

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

They needed vet leadership that leads by example on and off the ice and a player that can score and drive play...they got that with Neal...maybe he can get some of their star players off the nose candy.

It's a good signing. I hate the Flames but can admit when they have done good. I keep hearing about the extra curricular activities in Calgary. Wonder what's up? 

14 minutes ago, rekker said:

Ya they have a nice roster there. I suspect they will be better next year if their goaltending can hold up. Maybe if one of their young tenders finds his groove and he can be played on his ELC for a few years. Look out. They overplay their old man starter too much. Mike Smith was looking pretty old at the end of last year. 

Agreed.

15 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I think they should be okay cap-wise. I think Lindholm gets around 3.5-4 million on say a 4 year deal, 2nd line numbers. Hanifin has a lot to prove still, so maybe a 2.5 million 2 year bridge deal. Jankowski won't get a hefty raise, maybe 1.5x2. Kulak at 750k and Hathaway at 850k. Full roster for about 9.5 million giving them 3 million in addition space to work with. Brouwer and Frolik's contracts are up in a couple of years and the cap may go up, so they should be able to cope.

You’re not getting Lindholm and Hannifin for 6.5 combined. I hear out here that Hannafin is looking for 5/year. 

1 minute ago, Stelar said:

You’re not getting Lindholm and Hannifin for 6.5 combined. I hear out here that Hannafin is looking for 5/year. 

Agreed. They wanted out of the Canes for contractuall reasons. They aren't signing cheap. Good players though. 

james neal is an excellent leader and mentor. he took a starting las vegas team and SINGLE-HANDEDLY turned it in to a joke during the playoffs. this is what a james neal can add to the calgary flames; mentorship to the young players who don't quite know how to dive and act big by hiding behind the referees. the calgary flames are in good hands, yes they are

1 minute ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

james neal is an excellent leader and mentor. he took a starting las vegas team and SINGLE-HANDEDLY turned it in to a joke during the playoffs. this is what a james neal can add to the calgary flames; mentorship to the young players who don't quite know how to dive and act big by hiding behind the referees. the calgary flames are in good hands, yes they are

??

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

LoL ya cuz Edmonton didn't have those same players last year.

Exactly.  And what has Edmonton done to fix things?  Brodziak.  Meanwhile they've lost several other depth pieces, including Letestu and Maroon at the TDL.

One could argue their key players had a down year, but on the other hand maybe the previous season they had career years.  I don't see Edmonton any better than a bubble team, if that, depending on if Chia can get something done with the likes of Lucic and other big contracts like Sekera.  They're stuck between a rock and a hard place, and will have to decide which way they want to go -- continue to add as if they are a legit contender, make some significant deals to continue building, or do a fairly big blow-up and restart another rebuild/retool saving a few good pieces as foundation.

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Exactly.  And what has Edmonton done to fix things?  Brodziak.  Meanwhile they've lost several other depth pieces, including Letestu and Maroon at the TDL.

One could argue their key players had a down year, but on the other hand maybe the previous season they had career years.  I don't see Edmonton any better than a bubble team, if that, depending on if Chia can get something done with the likes of Lucic and other big contracts like Sekera.  They're stuck between a rock and a hard place, and will have to decide which way they want to go -- continue to add as if they are a legit contender, make some significant deals to continue building, or do a fairly big blow-up and restart another rebuild/retool saving a few good pieces as foundation.

Their screwed. Their crappy drafting for the last decade has caught up to them. Crappy drafting and trading and Lucic. 

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

Agreed. They wanted out of the Canes for contractuall reasons. They aren't signing cheap. Good players though. 

Yup, Hanifin and Lindholm both.  Shortly before the trade it was reported that negotiations with Lindholm "did not go well".

LeBrun specified, saying that the Canes are currently offering a tick above $4 million dollars as an AAV. Lindholm’s camp is staying firm on their asking price, which is believed to be just north of $5 million.

According to Matt Cane’s contract predictor model, Lindholm is expected to get a five-year, $25 million contract ($5 million AAV) based on his performance and taking into account comparable players and what they received.

https://www.canescountry.com/2018/6/22/17493312/report-carolina-hurricanes-and-elias-lindholm-still-far-apart-on-contract-extension-rumors-trade-nhl

Unless they manage to bridge them both, they're going to take a good chunk of $10mil between them.

1 hour ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Hard pass at that term. Money is aight, but that term will bite them in the arse in 2-3 years if they cannot move him. 

Lol but 4 years for Beagle and Roussell is great term!!  

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

Their goaltending sucks and the D is a question mark. Like you said lost good depth players, they need Strome to find his game for sure. Sekera and Lucic are huge nightmare for the Oilers. Just look at the top 6 outside of CM and LD it's not that appealing and they have no money to add. Montreal needs a centre maybe ship RNH and a pick to them and try to get patches

21 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

Like what though? It is a bad team that has a McDavid, a Draisatl? ...Nugent-Hopkins...Puljujarvi...Strome...Nurse, Larsson, Klefbom.? Or do you mean just my order in general? I admit I am just purely speculating but what do you see it as?

I meant about the Canucks moves yesterday as a signal for anything other than a playoff push

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yup, Hanifin and Lindholm both.  Shortly before the trade it was reported that negotiations with Lindholm "did not go well".

Unless they manage to bridge them both, they're going to take a good chunk of $10mil between them.

Sheesh if they want that much maybe Treliving shouldn't have traded for them. Odd strategy adding all these ex Canes considering the Canes sucked.

@Rob_Zepp at this rate you will have to become a flames fan.:lol:

Archived