The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Neal [5 years x $ 5.75m]

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Decent pool, I agree, but for first time in a long while, it is not up to what Canucks and other top pools have.   

Well to be fair we were in different positions it just happened that they played terribly and missed the playoffs. Lol

That being said they have pretty good d prospects up front not so much. Next draft will hurt for them again unless they can move some guys for picks ie Bennett.

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think that is a misleading comment. 

Backlund's line plays more of a hard mnutes/shutdown role - akin to a 3rd line - than the typical "2nd line".

Backlund is a guy that always gets dzone weighted starts - and always has absolutely outstanding underlying numbers - a Selke candidate type player.

Judging him or his line on plus/minus alone is misleaading.

Imo Calgary's 2nd line is the least of their problems.

This is what makes me wonder where Lindholm now plays. I don't think they want to break up that 2nd line.

4 hours ago, groovy said:

I read Vegas offered 6,5 but maybe only 2 or 3 years. If Neal can produce for a couple more years it beats our 6 x 6 penalty killer.

To be fair, Neal wouldn't make sense when considering the type of prospects the Canucks hope to add to the line-up this year...ie offensive players like Petterson. Beagle/Roussel can handle defense/PK and provide space for the offensive prospects.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Fair points. I just think he will really do good on a line with Gudreau and Monahan. But where does that leave Lindholm? 3rd line with Jankowski or does he play on the 2nd line and Frolik plays on the 3rd line?

That's a good point - he probably will wind up on that line with pretty opportune type minutes - and no doubt will still produce 25 goals there.  In a few years..who knows.

I really love that Lindholm acquisition because imo he has all the makings of being another Backlund for them.  Their 2nd and 3rd lines should be really strong.

Don't know how it will shake out by I'd guess Lindholm and Backlund wll be their middle six centers giving them two good two way centers who can produce - and Lindholm is also a good faceoff guy.  Maybe Jankowski moves to wing?  Or Ryan? 

If they didn't have cap issues that lineup would be shapinig up fairly well.

8 minutes ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

No, and yes, hindsight is 20/20 or something like that.  I just don't see this as a terrible move by Calgary as much as some others. I don't see it being the Lucic boat anchor that Edmonton signed, and Neal at 2 years younger has still been putting 20 plus goals over the last 7 seasons.  I'm saying I don't think this is as risky as contract as some.

Agreed but also the trend with Neal is a concern to me.   It was same concern I had with Lucic.   I think the AAV with Neal is better and the current player is too.

I think the fact that Calgary has a Norris quality beast like Giordano who is still a cornerstone but not a whole lot of years left must be part of the reason they continue to build in large part for the shorter term.  On a certain level that is kind of hard to argue with.   I think Giordano is hands down one of the best defensemen in the NHL and continues to generally remain under-rated.

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think that is a misleading comment. 

Backlund's line plays more of a hard mnutes/shutdown role - akin to a 3rd line - than the typical "2nd line".

Backlund is a guy that always gets dzone weighted starts - and always has absolutely outstanding underlying numbers - a Selke candidate type player.

Judging him or his line on plus/minus alone is misleaading.

Imo Calgary's 2nd line is the least of their problems.

Perhaps but they were too easy to play against many nights and took a lot of penalties too boot.   Don't get me wrong, I think Backlund is one of the most underrated C's in the entire league but he isn't the only member of that line.   I do think they will juggle things a lot this year.   I also think you will see more moves there.   In general, I don't think they are yet a "team" and will see what Peters can do....he certainly didn't do well with Canes in that regard but perhaps he can resonate better with Flames team.

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

That's a good point - he probably will wind up on that line with pretty opportune type minutes - and no doubt will still produce 25 goals there.  In a few years..who knows.

I really love that Lindholm acquisition because imo he has all the makings of being another Backlund for them.  Their 2nd and 3rd lines should be really strong.

Don't know how it will shake out by I'd guess Lindholm and Backlund wll be their middle six centers giving them two good two way centers who can produce - and Lindholm is also a good faceoff guy.  Maybe Jankowski moves to wing?  Or Ryan? 

If they didn't have cap issues that lineup would be shapinig up fairly well.

I feel like BT is going for it year after year and if it fails it may cost him his job. That being said if they get solid goaltending I could see them as a top team in the west. Last year was a big let down. Maybe it was Glen or maybe Hamilton really was a locker room issue.

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think the fact that Calgary has a Norris quality beast like Giordano who is still a cornerstone but not a whole lot of years left must be part of the reason they continue to build in large part for the shorter term.  On a certain level that is kind of hard to argue with.   I think Giordano is hands down one of the best defensemen in the NHL and continues to generally remain under-rated.

I have been saying the exact same thing. He carries that D and the team at times.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

No doubt about this in my mind - I'd rather have Stastny at 3 yrs x 6.5 any day.

Would rather see Calgary come out on the better side of that, but I think the VGK did better than re-signing Neal.

I dunno.

Imo Neal 3 years at 6.5 would be better than 5 at 5.75.

25 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Lindholm, Hanifin, Andersson, Bennett, Jankowski, Tkachuk.

That's a lot of new contracts for some serious young talent with a very small amount of money in the next calendar year

I doubt very much Bennett is a Flame still at Christmas and Hanifin will need to pull up his socks to get the money he thought he deserved so he may get a bridge "Show me".   I do think the other three will be looking for massive contracts and it is going to be a struggle for sure for Flames in that regard but chances are they are going to make some more moves.   I like a lot of what they have but they are a weird mix and I don't like the coaching selection given what I saw out of Carolina last year with confused roles and such.   

Cool thing is none of us really know so like a lot of things next year, interesting story line to follow.

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I doubt very much Bennett is a Flame still at Christmas and Hanifin will need to pull up his socks to get the money he thought he deserved so he may get a bridge "Show me".   I do think the other three will be looking for massive contracts and it is going to be a struggle for sure for Flames in that regard but chances are they are going to make some more moves.   I like a lot of what they have but they are a weird mix and I don't like the coaching selection given what I saw out of Carolina last year with confused roles and such.   

Cool thing is none of us really know so like a lot of things next year, interesting story line to follow.

Was pretty shocked by that decision especially given who was available. Treliving better hope things go good because it will be him getting fired if it doesn't work.

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Point totals aren’t flattering last few years. But he still scores goals. So that’s good. If anything it’s added winger depth. Calgary looks to be a pretty good team next year. 

I think playing with Gudreau we could see those goal totals around 30.

3 hours ago, Stelar said:

You’re not getting Lindholm and Hannifin for 6.5 combined. I hear out here that Hannafin is looking for 5/year. 

What has Hanifin done to earn 5 million a year? He's going to be bridged and it won't be that high, 3.5 max. And same with Lindholm, he's put up 2nd line numbers, 4 million is generous. They're both RFAs and coming into a new team and their numbers won't win them those numbers if they have arbitration rights, they don't have a lot of leverage.

I imagine the negotiation tactic was likely more to get the hell out of Carolina.

Archived