The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thank You Jim Benning.

Alexandre

22 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Mike Gillis took us to the finals and get a lot of frack. 

Jim Benning is in entering his 5th year at this rebuilding and we are still projected to be a bottom league team next year. 

I don't get all the praise going to Benning when he has not done anything concrete yet. I am just as exciting about all our prospects, but a cupboard full of prospects doesnt mean anything. Just look at all the other medicore teams like Arizona, Carolina, Buffalo. 

I guess ticket sales speak for itself. And until Benning does something solid (eg. Petterson and Boeser pans out to be 1st liners), I don't support these Benning loving posts at all. 

Well Gillis inherited a contender and Benning inherited a team that needed to rebuild. 

Should've -- could've --  would've,

we came pretty dam close there, the Twins and Lulongo and good coaching almost got us the cup

(snake bit ref's,  snake bit league officials ie a bit of league gerrymandering... all up for debate now, but with clear cases to be made for some favoritism)

Nevertheless here we are moving forward with a new fresh core.

I think our new narrative will be shaped by Green, and how he molds this team together, beginning with this upcoming season.

Benning has given him some pieces to work with,,hopefully a couple more pieces to be added to this roster through trades.

I'm hoping for a good consistent showing this year. Plus I am not expectant of a playoff berth, it'd be nice, but not the be all and end all of the season.

I just want to see 4 lines and 6 D that compete and work together as one squad, and gel. With no passengers.

6 hours ago, King Heffy said:

This is the best group of prospects I've seen in my lifetime of being a fan here.  Not only do we have a ton of talent, we have a huge variety of skillsets.    I hope he's allowed to finish what he's started instead of someone else coming in and taking all the credit.

This +100....

There was enough discussions about Burke v Gilles for our 2011 team.

38 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Should've -- could've --  would've,

we came pretty dam close there, the Twins and Lulongo and good coaching almost got us the cup

(snake bit ref's,  snake bit league officials ie a bit of league gerrymandering... all up for debate now, but with clear cases to be made for some favoritism)

Nevertheless here we are moving forward with a new fresh core.

I think our new narrative will be shaped by Green, and how he molds this team together, beginning with this upcoming season.

Benning has given him some pieces to work with,,hopefully a couple more pieces to be added to this roster through trades.

I'm hoping for a good consistent showing this year. Plus I am not expectant of a playoff berth, it'd be nice, but not the be all and end all of the season.

I just want to see 4 lines and 6 D that compete and work together as one squad, and gel. With no passengers.

'4 lines and 6 D that compete'...  wow... Optimistically ... Yah and capable if that's the case... Then we'll have a playoff team... Limited injuries, definitely part of next years success... It's exciting for sure!

D

7 hours ago, Alexandre said:

After a year of evaluation, you got rid of some ineffective scouts and added others.

Not to take away from the overall positivity of the thread cause it's a breath of fresh air but reading through this I interpreted it as he got rid of ineffective scouts and replaced them with other ineffective scouts. Lol.

But yeah, I have to admit I love most of what Benning has done. Seeing his excitement on draft day and leading up to draft day is probably my favorite thing about Benning. He really is super passionate about the game and the team. I hope he gets re-upped after this contract again, I want to see his vision play out in it's entirety with him at the helm.

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Great post @Alexandre... 

With all the bickering and envy looks towards other franchises it needed to be said. Thank you amigo.

Have a glass of milk on me :) 

Thanks, @spook007. That would be almond milk since almonds don't lactate. :P

I especially hate how some people throw in our face how much faster the Maple Laffs rebuild has been compared to ours. Can't wait until our new core starts getting traction.

Our rebuild is slower for a number of reasons. One reason is we have drafted goalies, power forwards and Dmen which inherently take longer to develop. Another reason is, although we have drafted top ten four of the past five drafts, not one was a top-four pick. This usually means the players we pick are not ready right away. They need more time to develop. I feel that this relatively slower rebuild is actually advantageous. This means we will be picking high in all seven rounds for five or six years instead of three or four. In other words, we end up with an extra four blue-chip prospects (two top ten picks and two high second rounders). This will result in a deeper, better-balanced team. Slow and steady wins the race.

3 minutes ago, Alexandre said:

Thanks, @spook007. That would be almond milk since almonds don't lactate. :P

I especially hate how some people throw in our face how much faster the Maple Laffs rebuild has been compared to ours. Can't wait until our new core starts getting traction.

Our rebuild is slower for a number of reasons. One reason is we have drafted goalies, power forwards and Dmen which inherently take longer to develop. Another reason is, although we have drafted top ten four of the past five drafts, not one was a top-four pick. This usually means the players we pick are not ready right away. They need more time to develop. I feel that this relatively slower rebuild is actually advantageous. This means we will be picking high in all seven rounds for five or six years instead of three or four. In other words, we end up with an extra four blue-chip prospects (two top ten picks and two high second rounders). This will result in a deeper, better-balanced team. Slow and steady wins the race.

Actually agree very much on the advantages of a slow rebuild... 

13 minutes ago, Alexandre said:

power forwards and Dmen which inherently take longer to develop.

This!  

Now adding potential 'generational' player.... And sniper.... And a rover

Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes and Captain Horvat!  

Virtanen and Gaudette... But most of all... DEMKO!!!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Not to take away from the overall positivity of the thread cause it's a breath of fresh air but reading through this I interpreted it as he got rid of ineffective scouts and replaced them with other ineffective scouts. Lol.

But yeah, I have to admit I love most of what Benning has done. Seeing his excitement on draft day and leading up to draft day is probably my favorite thing about Benning. He really is super passionate about the game and the team. I hope he gets re-upped after this contract again, I want to see his vision play out in it's entirety with him at the helm.

Thanks for catching that #N7Nucks. You know what I meant.:P

Benning's experience, knowledge, and feel for the art of scouting manifest itself in everything he does concerning the scouting department and the draft. I mean that was such a good nonfiring and then promotion of Judd Brackett. He picked the right scout to not only keep but also promoted him to the top spot in the department. The "re-education" of the remaining scouts Etc. Also picking goalies later in the draft because they are notoriously difficult to project.

2 minutes ago, Alexandre said:

Thanks for catching that #N7Nucks. You know what I meant.:P

Benning's experience, knowledge, and feel for the art of scouting manifest itself in everything he does concerning the scouting department and the draft. I mean that was such a good nonfiring and then promotion of Judd Brackett. He picked the right scout to not only keep but also promoted him to the top spot in the department. The "re-education" of the remaining scouts Etc. Also picking goalies later in the draft because they are notoriously difficult to project.

Definitely love Brackett and the work he is doing. You can tell Benning leans on him and the rest of his crew heavily. That must be really good for the overall morale among the management staff. To feel like they are really apart of the system. He's always looking for their input on stuff. Benning has done a great job with the people he surrounds himself with, especially in regards to scouting. Some of his contracts for UFAs I am not overly pumped about, but that's Free Agency in a nutshell, especially when you are a pretty bad team like we were. Overall Benning and Co. have been fantastic for us.

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Definitely love Brackett and the work he is doing. You can tell Benning leans on him and the rest of his crew heavily. That must be really good for the overall morale among the management staff. To feel like they are really apart of the system. He's always looking for their input on stuff. Benning has done a great job with the people he surrounds himself with, especially in regards to scouting. Some of his contracts for UFAs I am not overly pumped about, but that's Free Agency in a nutshell, especially when you are a pretty bad team like we were. Overall Benning and Co. have been fantastic for us.

Yes, Benning makes the whole management staff feel important at the draft. They are a team. I also like that Linden was relatively quiet and Weisbrod as well. The draft is the day for the scouts and Brackett. A good organization starts with good leadership at the top which then filters down and permeates the whole organization.

Yes, Benning could do better with the UFAs and he has. He learns from his mistakes. His UFA signings have been better as time has passed. I think a UFA signing or two will play a big part in any future success. Remember the 2011 Bruins? Chara, Tim Tomas, Shawn Thornton, and Michael Ryder were all UFA signings. Benning was Chiapet's right-hand man in the construction of that championship team. Benning may seem dim because of how he talks but he knows what he is doing.

The first three  years they thought they could get a playoff team and ended up being the worst team over the past three years 

What was he suppose to do not fill the cupboards while getting top ten pick year in and year out. No other gm in Canucks history has had as many top ten picks.and we’ve had some bad teams over that time in fact I do believe jim has multiple records in the franchise worst category.  

It’s still to be determined if his top picks turn into bonifined to players in the nhl.

So Yes we have a great prospect pool BUT so did the oilers when they were run by Kevin Lowe does that make him a great gm too, just because the team sucks and they draft high every year to fill the cupboard doesn’t mean anything.

if jim could have had his way we’d be a bubble  wildcard team every year and would have picked way higher so is it’s kinda a forced rebuild More than a well planned one. 

But yeah great job for doing what he had no other choice but to do because his playoff plan failed miserably. 

13 minutes ago, combover said:

The first three  years they thought they could get a playoff team and ended up being the worst team over the past three years 

What was he suppose to do not fill the cupboards while getting top ten pick year in and year out. No other gm in Canucks history has had as many top ten picks.and we’ve had some bad teams over that time in fact I do believe jim has multiple records in the franchise worst category.  

It’s still to be determined if his top picks turn into bonifined to players in the nhl.

So Yes we have a great prospect pool BUT so did the oilers when they were run by Kevin Lowe does that make him a great gm too, just because the team sucks and they draft high every year to fill the cupboard doesn’t mean anything.

if jim could have had his way we’d be a bubble  wildcard team every year and would have picked way higher so is it’s kinda a forced rebuild More than a well planned one. 

But yeah great job for doing what he had no other choice but to do because his playoff plan failed miserably. 

i agree with you, i think he is doing a great job too. it is great to be a canuck fan. 

I understand peoples' angst with past GMs, but why is the worst of the bunch rarely mentioned ?

TDL 2006........Dave Nonis ( might as well have been Dave Pratt ! )

Acquired: 1) Mika Noronen for #2 pick.

2) Keith Carney for #2 pick +.

3) Eric Weinrich for #3 pick +.

4) Sean Brown for #4 pick.

Sean Brown was the best of the lot, but that's setting the bar very, very low. One could argue that at least these dumbass moves took us deep into the playoffs. That might have been true if we had made the playoffs.

So.......when your nickers are in a knot thinking of that dastardly Linden Vey trade or why did DimJim include a #2 pick in the Gudbranson trade, think back to Dave Nonis times and give praise to the hockey gods that things look much, much better today.

8 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Mike Gillis took us to the finals and get a lot of frack. 

Jim Benning is in entering his 5th year at this rebuilding and we are still projected to be a bottom league team next year. 

I don't get all the praise going to Benning when he has not done anything concrete yet. I am just as exciting about all our prospects, but a cupboard full of prospects doesnt mean anything. Just look at all the other medicore teams like Arizona, Carolina, Buffalo. 

I guess ticket sales speak for itself. And until Benning does something solid (eg. Petterson and Boeser pans out to be 1st liners), I don't support these Benning loving posts at all. 

I gotta ask what would you do differently?

The only thing that JB can

get lampooned on is a few moves and 1 FA signing... the 6 million dollar man. 

Was he going to trade the twins?  Move picks for players?

Sign even more high ticket FA’s?

Who would you have drafted instead of his choices after year one?   Would they have made any difference?  

We were due to decline.  There was only Horvat, Hutton and Gaunce in the system. So only Horvat.  

We were the oldest team in the league with no prospects in the cupboard and a whole bunch of NTC’s. That is not a recipe for success. 

Is is there any quick way to turn a team around?  I don’t see it. Do we have the prospects to build around... I think so. 

The only way it it could be better is to win the draft lottery, but that can be a curse too... just as deadmonton. 

JB should be in charge of draft and development after next season. He's not a good team builder.  Reminds me of Nonis when it comes to JBs ability at building a roster. 

I'd bring in a good executive to be GM,   let JB handle meat and potatoes stuff.

I dont know if he'd agree to a demotion. Most likely he's gone next summer. 

Archived