The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

World Junior Summer Showdown

Ajax-

I still can't believe he's a Canuck. Wasn't long ago that Jordan Subban was the future of our PP, our best puck moving D prospect.

Quinn looks like he could be one of the best in the league at what he does. I also really like that they're not pulling an EDM and rushing him. It's not about what the player can do as a rookie (kid), but what he does entering his prime. He's going to be outstanding for many years.

A team, with players like Pettersson, Boeser, Demko and Hughes. Dare to dream Canucks fans. I like our chances in 3-5 years. 

Just finished watching the pvr...

Like I said Quinn is going to make grown D. and goalie's cry like these poor kids....

QH only made one mistake all game and that was his first shift in OT...the rest of the game he had his way with everything he tried.

If he was the same age as his brother Jack ....I would be pulling to draft him #1 this year....he is better than his brother at this age, just not quite as flashy ...until he has to be....!!!

What a treat we are in for***

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

While I generally agree that we're going to spend one more year in the basement (as well we should), I think the turn around happens pretty fast...especially if we have some lottery luck and end up with Hughes (yeah right). 

Incidentally, it's nice to see Quinn has a bit of grit to his game.

In my mind, we likely spend this year bottom 10, the following 1-2 years in the 10th-15th range before making the Playoffs after that. Once we make the Playoffs, I would expect around 2 years learning how to play in the new environment before we make it to the 3rd round and beyond. 

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

When I see in this play I see a crushing hit and concussion at the NHL level. 

Fantastic skills, that is a great move against junior D but scraping his brains off the ice with NHL players.

I disagree.  He's too fast and too elusive. 

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Fantastic skills, that is a great move against junior D but scraping his brains off the ice with NHL players.

In that situation, attacking a defense on a 3-on-3?  No.  There wasn't even an opportunity for anything like that.  Didn't notice that he plays with his head UP?

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

No NHL-caliber player is going to go for a hit during 3 on 3 overtime.

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

In that situation, attacking a defense on a 3-on-3?  No.  There wasn't even an opportunity for anything like that.  Didn't notice that he plays with his head UP?

I appreciate that and McDavid likes to make that move too, but have seen a few plays like that where he puts himself in positions that worry me.  He will adjust as gets to the pros I assume, too smart not too.

3 hours ago, Zhukini said:

I would seriously like to know the 10 teams you think have a worse roster than Vancouver next year, im struggling to get past 6.

I am not sure what teams will have a worst roster.   I am talking about where teams end up in the standings.  Rarely do rosters and standings equate.   I think Green will get a lot out of the competitive environment and combined enthusiasm of the youth injection to go with the new veteran leadership.   If it was just about rosters and playing the game on paper, the standings would look very different than they actually do each year.

3 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Yep.  I'm thinking 4th, 5th or 6th worst.  They'll be right there with BUF and DET in 4 to 6 spot.  

Last season, when they had all four of their top 4 D in the lineup they were almost playoff pace for points.  I think if they can avoid freakishly bad injury luck and come back to NHL average for man games lost I believe they will surprise a lot of people - apparently some of their fans that post on CDC too based upon your post.

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

That’s quite the optimism but it’s a lot of hope based on the majority of our team coming out and not only staying healthy but also having career years.  That same line of thinking is what got people into trouble thinking both the flames and oilers were playoff bound last year.  Not every player is going to have a consistent upward trend in progression.  It’s more like a roller coaster.  We added some players to shelter our rookies but we did lose out on two 50 points sedins as well as a 55 point pace Vanek.  Sure we add Pettersson but chances are he’ll need some time do develop.  Are D is still awful and injury plagued, are goaltending is average at best, I don’t see the promise that next year is going to be so much better than the last.  Could it happen if the stars align? Heck why not, vegas made the SCF this year, but I wouldn’t bet on it. 

That said I don’t think we’ll out suck the Senators or the Canadians for that sake, so we aren’t looking at the best odds.  Sabres are also going to see how valuable O’reilly was, Wings will add young players, Flames have added a ton to improve their roster, oilers are set to rush more of their propsect, Yotes are in the same spot as us, (hoping all their youth takes upward strides), so really, in the end it’s very realistic to see us finishing in the bottom 5 again. 

The problem is, I don’t think people are paying attention to what teams around us are doing.  Did canucks improve? That is debatable, but what about the other teams, are they not expected to be better as well. 

I pay attention to what other teams did and how they were injury lucky (or unlucky) and look at their play with and without certain players and so forth.  I see a few teams moving up, a few teams moving down and a lot staying in similar spots.   On quite a few situations that are likely, I see Vancouver creeping into 15th to 20th being more likely than any other finishing slot.   I also know it is August and I will evaluate more thoroughly in early October.

For what it is worth, I was only five to eight points out on 24 teams last year.   I was only horribly wrong on Vegas and Carolina and not all that close on Ottawa and Colorado....two of those teams I underrated and two I overrated.     I was one of the few where it counts (and even one of the few hear) that nailed Edmonton and Calgary taking steps back (Edmonton was interesting how many argued with me last October and in the lead up but their defensive "luck" the year prior simply couldn't last statistically).   

I know a lot can change between now and October but no matter how I do it with the players like on the team, I see the Canucks moving forward nicely this year.

5 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I pay attention to what other teams did and how they were injury lucky (or unlucky) and look at their play with and without certain players and so forth.  I see a few teams moving up, a few teams moving down and a lot staying in similar spots.   On quite a few situations that are likely, I see Vancouver creeping into 15th to 20th being more likely than any other finishing slot.   I also know it is August and I will evaluate more thoroughly in early October.

For what it is worth, I was only five to eight points out on 24 teams last year.   I was only horribly wrong on Vegas and Carolina and not all that close on Ottawa and Colorado....two of those teams I underrated and two I overrated.     I was one of the few where it counts (and even one of the few hear) that nailed Edmonton and Calgary taking steps back (Edmonton was interesting how many argued with me last October and in the lead up but their defensive "luck" the year prior simply couldn't last statistically).   

I know a lot can change between now and October but no matter how I do it with the players like on the team, I see the Canucks moving forward nicely this year.

Don't want to press this too much as there is already a thread about this but I would love to see who you think will finish below us.  I see Ottawa and a team from New York but not sure which one as probably finishing worse than us, I just can't see who else would on paper anyway.

Then again, Colorado was a historically bad team two years ago, didn't change too much and then were in the playoffs so anything is possible.  Colorado is a team built for today's NHL though. 

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Don't want to press this too much as there is already a thread about this but I would love to see who you think will finish below us.  I see Ottawa and a team from New York but not sure which one as probably finishing worse than us, I just can't see who else would on paper anyway.

Then again, Colorado was a historically bad team two years ago, didn't change too much and then were in the playoffs so anything is possible.  Colorado is a team built for today's NHL though. 

Every simulation is different.   Let's wait until October and see who makes each team and then in the prediction post, like last year (where people laughed at me for predicting Edmonton and Calgary to take steps back even when I said why they would), you can feel free to laugh this year too!

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I remain curious how people think anyone will trade Quinn's brother to the Canucks.    I think fantasy concepts are fine but I don't see a realistic option whereby anyone is trading Jack Hughes to Vancouver.    Is the concept that Quinn will convince him to delay his NHL career and then sign with Vancouver as a UFA?

The only way we get Jack is to luck out and win the lottery imo.

Edit: I should have been more clear. I do not think the Canucks will be bottom 5 this year. So they will have to pull a Carolina 2018 or a Philly 2017 at the draft lotto day to jump up major spots to get #1.

Archived