The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Jeff Skinner to BUF

13 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Looks like Skinner turned down previous trades.  That helps explain the terrible return.  Now I'm pretty psyched on the chances that he will re-sign with the Sabres.  He actually chose to come here!

Good trade for you guys. I hope the last dismal decade is in the past. 

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Soooo....what does that mean Edler or Tanev can get??

When the D-man market was hotter and they were younger, a good return could have been had.  Unfortunately the market has cooled somewhat and they got older.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

I thought Carolina was seeking to get "better" players for the ones they had?  

Wasn't that the word out of their new ownership = a lack of patience with results and an intent to win sooner?

Funny, I thought the word out of Carolina was that their new owner is a micro managing hands on moron who doesnt actually understand just where his team actually is at. 

The Canes are far weaker up front and are probably better on D but not by enough to offset it.

The totality of their moves make little sense to me.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The Sabres really need to take a step forward. The talent is there and the futility is closing in on Edmonton levels now. Hopefully they can put it together this season.

I agree, but I think the playoffs would be a tall order.  85-90 points while all of the new guys gel together would be acceptable.

The locker-room is going to be mostly full of new Sabres players this season.  Botterill is seriously cleaning house this off-season.

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

I wouldn't trade him for anyone at 7th.  But that's not the point -- it's not about valuation but the supposed "wrongness of accelerating a rebuild."

But trading the 7th (Hughes) for Hanifin wouldn't have been accelerating the rebuild, it would've been moving down in potential for NHL readiness.

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

I wouldn't trade him for anyone at 7th.  But that's not the point -- it's not about valuation but the supposed "wrongness of accelerating a rebuild."

Derailing a bit- but do you think it's possible the big fall out and perceived backstabbing of Linden had something to do with the possibility that Linden wanted to trade #7oa for Hanifin? A young Dman that can be very effective on the PP, which we need badly.

After JB refused to make the trade because Hughes was still available, Trev held out hope on Hughes signing because of desperate we are for a PP QB...

He then lost his damn mind and quit after Hughes decided to go back to college, which JB encouraged Quinn to do and therefore "stabbed Linden in the back" because Trev wanted a PP QB so badly. 

It just crossed my mind. Sorry for sharing

5 minutes ago, burrardstreetbullies said:

carolina won on this trade. skinner isnt staying in buffalo so they dumped cap and got picks while buffalo got a rental

Not really, what Buffalo gave up now would be the same as if a team acquired him at the trade deadline.  They maybe even got him at a deal as a rental and for a whole season.

If this shows O’Reilly and Eichel that Buffalo will try to improve the organization, the trade is worth it to that organization

8 minutes ago, burrardstreetbullies said:

carolina won on this trade. skinner isnt staying in buffalo so they dumped cap and got picks while buffalo got a rental

Why do  you say that?  He had an NMC so he had to choose to come here in the first place.  He had the option to nix any trade that he wanted to, and rumour had it that he had nixed more than one offer before accepting the trade to Buffalo.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Why do  you say that?  He had an NMC so he had to choose to come here in the first place.  He had the option to nix any trade that he wanted to, and rumour had it that he had nixed more than one offer before accepting the trade to Buffalo.

because buffalo is trash with terrible managment.   i cant wait for dahlin to hit FA after his ELC runs out lol

7 minutes ago, mpt said:

Wow so Skinner for nothing?  I wish Skinner turns it around and gets back on track.

What is with this perception with a few on CDC that he ever fell off track?  He's had 3 30+ goal seasons and another 3 20+ goal seasons.  He's only had one bad year out of 8 and that was in 2014-15.  Two seasons ago he nearly had 40 goals.

1 minute ago, burrardstreetbullies said:

because buffalo is trash with terrible managment.   i cant wait for dahlin to hit FA after his ELC runs out lol

The GM is new.  He's only been on the job for 1 year.  What has he done to be trash?

17 minutes ago, mpt said:

Not really, what Buffalo gave up now would be the same as if a team acquired him at the trade deadline.  They maybe even got him at a deal as a rental and for a whole season.

If this shows O’Reilly and Eichel that Buffalo will try to improve the organization, the trade is worth it to that organization

ROR doesn't give a rats butt about this trade.  Also I doubt Skinner will turn out to be a rental unless they place bottom 5 again this season.

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

But trading the 7th (Hughes) for Hanifin wouldn't have been accelerating the rebuild, it would've been moving down in potential for NHL readiness.

What if it was the 20th overall pick?  30th?  Would you trade the 23rd overall pick for Chabot, to accelerate the rebuild?

Again, the point is not the value but the belief that trading a pick is bad, even if it is for good value in a player that is already developed or developing.  This same belief has continued for 4 years now without outrage crying "muh #properrebuild!", yet whenever another team does it (to wit, Buffalo now) there are crickets.  Like someone said in another thread that Benning got "spanked" for trading the #50 pick for Baertschi, even though the player chosen (not to mention three years ago) has yet to make the NHL.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

I agree, but I think the playoffs would be a tall order.  85-90 points while all of the new guys gel together would be acceptable.

The locker-room is going to be mostly full of new Sabres players this season.  Botterill is seriously cleaning house this off-season.

Unfortunately for Buffalo the east has become real deep with talent right as Buffalo has started to Improve. Should be able to beat out both Ottawa and Montreal and Detroit easily and give Florida a run for their money. 

what would the Canucks prospect equivalent for Pu be? 

I know Skinner can be a UFA next summer, but for the right price he would have been a good upgrade for our team. Definitely would provide some proven secondary scoring.

I think this is a good move for Buffalo, gives Eichel a quality linemate

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Unfortunately for Buffalo the east has become real deep with talent right as Buffalo has started to Improve. Should be able to beat out both Ottawa and Montreal and Detroit easily and give Florida a run for their money. 

That's exactly why I'd be happy with 85-90 points.  The competition in the East is going to be strong this year.

Archived