The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Jeff Skinner to BUF

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

what would the Canucks prospect equivalent for Pu be? 

I know Skinner can be a UFA next summer, but for the right price he would have been a good upgrade for our team. Definitely would provide some proven secondary scoring.

I think this is a good move for Buffalo, gives Eichel a quality linemate

That's very tough to gauge.  Pu just finished his final year of jr. hockey.  He did very well in juniors, but the proof in the pudding will come in the AHL this year.

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Derailing a bit- but do you think it's possible the big fall out and perceived backstabbing of Linden had something to do with the possibility that Linden wanted to trade #7oa for Hanifin? A young Dman that can be very effective on the PP, which we need badly.

After JB refused to make the trade because Hughes was still available, Trev held out hope on Hughes signing because of desperate we are for a PP QB...

He then lost his damn mind and quit after Hughes decided to go back to college, which JB encouraged Quinn to do and therefore "stabbed Linden in the back" because Trev wanted a PP QB so badly

It just crossed my mind. Sorry for sharing

Who knows really, but if we go by what the general consensus seems to be, it's that Linden wanted a slower rebuild so he would have been against such a trade.  When Benning made the trades like 2nd for Vey, 2nd for Baertschi, Shink for Granny, McCann deal, etc. Linden must have been onboard with accelerating the transition as it was the early part of the regime, but perhaps Linden since has changed his mind and wants to do the slower build, maybe meaning strict drafting and development only and no more such trades.

With Linden out, that could mean that we see more "acceleration"' trades, but that would depend now on how quickly our young players get up to NHL speed.  If they make good progress and we can expedite the arrival of the next wave, then we could just look at more hockey trades of value-for-value to address areas of weakness.  Remember too the quote from yesterday from Benning about desperately trying to find a PPQB, so it wouldn't have just been Trevor.

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

That's exactly why I'd be happy with 85-90 points.  The competition in the East is going to be strong this year.

I think Buffalo will become a contender when the Washington/Pittsburgh declines in the next few years, looking real bright in Buffalo now though. 

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

I think Buffalo will become a contender when the Washington/Pittsburgh declines in the next few years, looking real bright in Buffalo now though. 

The Sabres need to hope that Luukkonen is the long term answer in goal before they can hope to contend for a Cup.  If he turns out to be, 3-4 years looks like a good timeline if Botterill keeps doing well in the trade market coupled with good draft picks.

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Who knows really, but if we go by what the general consensus seems to be, it's that Linden wanted a slower rebuild so he would have been against such a trade.  When Benning made the trades like 2nd for Vey, 2nd for Baertschi, Shink for Granny, McCann deal, etc. Linden must have been onboard with accelerating the transition as it was the early part of the regime, but perhaps Linden since has changed his mind and wants to do the slower build, maybe meaning strict drafting and development only and no more such trades.

With Linden out, that could mean that we see more "acceleration"' trades, but that would depend now on how quickly our young players get up to NHL speed.  If they make good progress and we can expedite the arrival of the next wave, then we could just look at more hockey trades of value-for-value to address areas of weakness.  Remember too the quote from yesterday from Benning about desperately trying to find a PPQB, so it wouldn't have just been Trevor.

I think we'll know, for sure, who was on what page by the start of the season.

If we see JB trade prospects and picks for NHL players, we'll know.

Not sure why, but I feel like the story has been turned upside down and it was actually Linden pushing for players to help us win now. 

But I'm wrong a lot

53 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

Would have liked to see us acquire someone like Skinner. Seems the cost was reasonable.

"However, with Jeff becoming an unrestricted free agent next summer, this was the right time for us to move on, and to provide Jeff with a fresh start in Buffalo. We talked to every team in the league over the past four months, and ultimately the Sabres were the team that provided us with the best value in return, including three picks and a prospect we like in Cliff Pu."

So either the Canucks weren't interested, their offer wasn't enough, or Skinner refused a trade here.

Pu was taken 5 picks after Lockwood, so the ask was likely a prospect like him and the picks, which are a 2nd next year but the other two not until 2020.  Will have to see if Benning piqued their interest in him relieving them of any other assets.

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

What if it was the 20th overall pick?  30th?  Would you trade the 23rd overall pick for Chabot, to accelerate the rebuild?

Again, the point is not the value but the belief that trading a pick is bad, even if it is for good value in a player that is already developed or developing.  This same belief has continued for 4 years now without outrage crying "muh #properrebuild!", yet whenever another team does it (to wit, Buffalo now) there are crickets.  Like someone said in another thread that Benning got "spanked" for trading the #50 pick for Baertschi, even though the player chosen (not to mention three years ago) has yet to make the NHL.

Trading the 7th overall pick isn't comparable to trading the 20th or 30th overall pick. They're not the same thing.

Trading a pick isn't bad necessarily, but making a bad trade with a pick is. Making the rumored deal would have likely been a bad trade. 

We traded a pick in the Baertschi pick and that was a good trade.

We gave up a pick in the Vey trade and that was a bad trade.

Gaudette has yet to make the NHL beyond a trial, is he also a bad pick? Is patience with prospects only applied to Canucks' prospects (except Hughes before he committed to Michigan)?

6 minutes ago, Cocolocci said:

Wow.. Lindholm, Hanifin and now Skinner.. what are they doing?! :blink: Who's next? Aho, Rask or Teravainen?

Aho for Gagner, Motte, Granlund and 2nd :wub: :lol:

I believe they said everyone is available except Aho.

5 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

It's purely a money move.  The owner doesn't want to lose tens of millions so another rebuild with cheap young players is in Carolina's present and future.

Well, it's a shame but not all that surprising. Carolina's mediocrity continues.

3 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

The Sabres need to hope that Luukkonen is the long term answer in goal before they can hope to contend for a Cup.  If he turns out to be, 3-4 years looks like a good timeline if Botterill keeps doing well in the trade market coupled with good draft picks.

Buffalo with get Hughes in 2019.

when u pick first overall you get franchise players and then unless you are Edmonton, you win cups

Archived