The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Waivers: who gets claimed?

Bert Diesel

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Some?   Who?   Source please.    I try and follow most things Canucks and feel pretty connected to the grapevine of the NHL and haven't heard that even remotely.    Would appreciate your inside information as clearly you are better connected than most in the game.   

Probably the CDC...supposition.

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Next up, who will we lose to the Seattle draft...they WILL take someone.  The timing could be bad for us with rising stars and projects requiring protection, but it won’t be the end of the world either...remember how many guys were freaking out over losing Gaunce to Vegas, and relieved when they took Sbisa..then he clears waivers, turns out we won’t have to worry about him turning into a Selke forward after we lose him anytime soon...and no they will NOT take LE.  

It will be a player like Leipsic or similar - someone younger but not quite top six.   They will have a lot of exempt players so timing of draft is good that way.   I don't believe Vancouver will be lucky enough to have a veteran near end of contract snagged nor do I believe Benning would trade a pick to entice Seattle to do just that so it will be a younger NHL caliber player but not a core top 9.   Another possibility is Hutton.  

What I don't get is the angst.   Now it will be about when Roussel comes into line-up.   What concerns will arise then?   Geez.   I keep wondering where all these lost waiver players the Canucks have had over the past few years have come from to create this angst.    Further, IF you are not good enough to make the team - then why on earth does it matter if you are picked up by another team?    

10 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

It will be a player like Leipsic or similar - someone younger but not quite top six.   They will have a lot of exempt players so timing of draft is good that way.   I don't believe Vancouver will be lucky enough to have a veteran near end of contract snagged nor do I believe Benning would trade a pick to entice Seattle to do just that so it will be a younger NHL caliber player but not a core top 9.   Another possibility is Hutton.  

What I don't get is the angst.   Now it will be about when Roussel comes into line-up.   What concerns will arise then?   Geez.   I keep wondering where all these lost waiver players the Canucks have had over the past few years have come from to create this angst.    Further, IF you are not good enough to make the team - then why on earth does it matter if you are picked up by another team?    

But, but Martin St. Louis....

14 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yep the ones that whisper to you from the foggy part of the mind, usually after a few pints..

Waiver players rarely hit the 50 goal mark but there always is an exception.

Karlsson would likely have had 9 goals again last year if Vegas hadn't given him the opportunity. I know he was an expansion draftee but its the comparison

If a player doesn't play well enough to make the team, he likely wont play well enough anywhere else to make anyone regret losing him on waivers.

18 hours ago, oldnews said:

what talk out where?

Granlund was 3rd among forwards in ice time against Calgary (Sutter was 1st, Motte 2nd).

Granlund had 0% offensive zone starts.  Strict shutdown minutes.

His corsi was 53.5%.

He had a point, was +2, a hit, a faceoff win in his only draw.

I don't know who is talking about waiving Granlund, but that would be shocking imo.  He's ridiculously under-rated on these boards - is that where this talk emanates from?

All this worry over who gets waived, Biega or Leipsic or both move on.

23 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Some?   Who?   Source please.    I try and follow most things Canucks and feel pretty connected to the grapevine of the NHL and haven't heard that even remotely.    Would appreciate your inside information as clearly you are better connected than most in the game.   

Hurry up ,Quantum has suggested that Granlund might get waived. You should go and tell him how connected you are to the NHL grapevine and that you know for a fact that could never happen. :rolleyes: :) :lol: 

11 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

Waiver players rarely hit the 50 goal mark but there always is an exception.

Karlsson would likely have had 9 goals again last year if Vegas hadn't given him the opportunity. I know he was an expansion draftee but its the comparison

If a player doesn't play well enough to make the team, he likely wont play well enough anywhere else to make anyone regret losing him on waivers.

Not sure Karlsson is a fair comparison to a waiver pickup because the expansion draft really favoured Vegas which forced most teams to give up legit bottom 4 dmen and bottom 6 forwards (much better quality than generally what's available for waivers), so they had some quality players to pick up even if they weren't what they were expecting. The waiver wire are generally scraps that weren't good enough to make their teams. So with that said, I don't think Karlsson would have ever been waived by Columbus as he was a solid bottom 6 player for them so I wouldn't mix him with the waiver fodder. But you're right that his production would likely not have been as amazing if he didn't go to Vegas, so a change of scenery really benefitted him.

18 hours ago, appleboy said:

Hurry up ,Quantum has suggested that Granlund might get waived. You should go and tell him how connected you are to the NHL grapevine and that you know for a fact that could never happen. :rolleyes: :) :lol: 

No thanks.   Was asking you as it was you that said you had a source as you "heard" it was happening.     Still waiting or was the source your imagination?

Archived