The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Waivers: who gets claimed?

Bert Diesel

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Motte can still be sent down without going through waivers yet. 

Goldobin and Leipsic are the ones that if waived, they won't make it through the waiver wire. They'll be claimed me thinks. 

True but I am not sure his waiver situation plays a role.  It didn't for Hutton vs Corrado with Benning saying it was the right thing to do.

Green on Goldobin and Leipsic this week was saying that they need to play in the NHL soon or they are not going to make it.  Leipsic was drafted in 2012 and Goldobin in 2014.  Motte in 2013 so that comment should apply to him too.  With Benning's comments this summer it sounds like they want to decide whether to invest further in those 22-24 year olds or move on.  I am not sure they are going to play the waiver card with Motte because it's about his career too.  

Also they want the best team possible.  The team is struggling this pre-season and they need the team to take steps forward.  In April Aquilini was tweeting about Colorado and New Jersey making the playoffs - they were the worst teams in their respective conference the season before.

The sad truth is that the Canucks could put their entire roster on waivers and only 3 players would certainly get claimed.  Bo, Sutter, Tanev.

Baer has 50/50 chance of getting claimed.  He would struggle to be a top 6 player on most teams which is where he needs to play.

Virtanen might be claimed as a low risk project for another team.

Demko, Pettersson and Boeser are exempt. 

The rest would sail through without so much as a casual glance from 30 NHL GMs.

1 minute ago, danaimo said:

The sad truth is that the Canucks could put their entire roster on waivers and only 3 players would certainly get claimed.  Bo, Sutter, Tanev.

Baer has 50/50 chance of getting claimed.  He would struggle to be a top 6 player on most teams which is where he needs to play.

I think Edler is in his final year of his contract, so he would get scooped for sure.  Jake would get claimed too.  He’s for sure a bottom six guy, with size, wheels, and skill.  Otherwise, I agree.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think Edler is in his final year of his contract, so he would get scooped for sure.  Jake would get claimed too.  He’s for sure a bottom six guy, with size, wheels, and skill.  Otherwise, I agree.  

The reason I think Edler would pass through waivers is that $5m in cap hit and salary is a lot for a player that might only put up 30pts per season, given 24+ minutes of ice time including first unit PP time. Last night's performance wouldn't help his chances of getting claimed.

Maybe I am being a bit unfair to Jake.  He has played well in pre season so might get claimed.  So let's say 4 or 5 get claimed.  That's pretty depressing.

1 minute ago, danaimo said:

The reason I think Edler would pass through waivers is that $5m in cap hit and salary is a lot for a player that might only put up 30pts per season, given 24+ minutes of ice time including first unit PP time. Last night's performance wouldn't help his chances of getting claimed.

Maybe I am being a bit unfair to Jake.  He has played well in pre season so might get claimed.  So let's say 4 or 5 get claimed.  That's pretty depressing.

Maybe that’s the accepted reality of a rebuilding team?  We kind of still need top draft picks, and the vets we have will keep us at, or near, the top of the next draft or two.  I see us having a bunch of young guys bursting onto the scene as a top team in a couple of seasons.  

9 hours ago, danaimo said:

It's possible to argue the opposite.  A player that does well on a good team might struggle on a poor team.  Someone that does decently on a poor team might end up doing much better on a good team.

Rattie would probably not do as well on the Canucks vs Edmonton playing with RNH-McDavid.  Gagner and Eriksson were not able to maintain their production in Vancouver.  

There were 168 F who produced at a 0.5 pace (min 20 games).  That's an average of less than 6F per team with 31 teams x 6 = 186.  As it is Baer's pace would put him 5th among the Capitals Fs while playing on a team that is struggling to produce offence.  There are only 6 teams where he would not be one of their top-6F in P/GP.  His ice time is closer to a 3rd liner though.  He started 29 games with Horvat-Boeser on the 53 games he played.  When not playing with Horvat - his Cs were Sutter, Dowd, Gagner and even Chaput and Gaunce.  Not exactly the same calibre of Cs as Horvat.  Same goes for the wingers.  

Baer has consistently maintained a very high shooting percentage (again led the team last year / min 25 games) - he typically scores from 15ft and under.  Horvat is not a playmaking C that is going to consistently thread pass the puck to those scoring areas.  The Ds also provide little to no offensive pressure - they had 122pts from their Ds while the median is 162pts with the best team at over 200pts.  

The same question can be asked for other players on the Canucks.  When Eriksson was not playing with the Sedins his Cs were Dowd, Granlund, Sutter.  

3 minutes ago, Bert Diesel said:

Gagner waived!!! They made the right choice and cut someone who wasn't pulling his weight. I applaude this move. They showed some guts here. 

Sends a really clear message to EVERYONE on the team as well. Pull your weight or you're off to Utica.

6 minutes ago, thepress83 said:

Gagner was waived, I'm glad to see the Canucks willing to waive players even if they have a 1 way contract.  I wonder if he reports assuming he isn't claimed.

He doesn't report he doesn't get paid. His only other options would be the KHL or ask to be released from his contract to go to Europe. I highly doubt he'd get a deal over there that pays as much as going to Utica.

14 hours ago, mll said:

It's possible to argue the opposite.  A player that does well on a good team might struggle on a poor team.  Someone that does decently on a poor team might end up doing much better on a good team.

Rattie would probably not do as well on the Canucks vs Edmonton playing with RNH-McDavid.  Gagner and Eriksson were not able to maintain their production in Vancouver.  

There were 168 F who produced at a 0.5 pace (min 20 games).  That's an average of less than 6F per team with 31 teams x 6 = 186.  As it is Baer's pace would put him 5th among the Capitals Fs while playing on a team that is struggling to produce offence.  There are only 6 teams where he would not be one of their top-6F in P/GP.  His ice time is closer to a 3rd liner though.  He started 29 games with Horvat-Boeser on the 53 games he played.  When not playing with Horvat - his Cs were Sutter, Dowd, Gagner and even Chaput and Gaunce.  Not exactly the same calibre of Cs as Horvat.  Same goes for the wingers.  

Baer has consistently maintained a very high shooting percentage (again led the team last year / min 25 games) - he typically scores from 15ft and under.  Horvat is not a playmaking C that is going to consistently thread pass the puck to those scoring areas.  The Ds also provide little to no offensive pressure - they had 122pts from their Ds while the median is 162pts with the best team at over 200pts.  

The same question can be asked for other players on the Canucks.  When Eriksson was not playing with the Sedins his Cs were Dowd, Granlund, Sutter.  

I agree with you regarding Baer. I do maintain that he would not be a certainty to be claimed especially at this time of when all teams are cutting players and given that he has limited use on 3rd or 4th line. I guess we will see what happens to Gagner who is arguably more versatile.

6 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Unless your name is Eriksson.  Then you get a free pass.

Eriksson gets a bad rap because of his contract, which is much higher than it should be. That doesn't mean that he doesn't contribute to the team in other areas, including being defensively responsible, which Gagner wasn't.

Eriksson had a couple of rough years with injuries, but I'm willing to give him benefit of doubt that he can contribute. If he doesn't, its not like we don't have the space to send him to Utica, but don't judge him just by his scoring.

20 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Eriksson gets a bad rap because of his contract, which is much higher than it should be. That doesn't mean that he doesn't contribute to the team in other areas, including being defensively responsible, which Gagner wasn't.

Eriksson had a couple of rough years with injuries, but I'm willing to give him benefit of doubt that he can contribute. If he doesn't, its not like we don't have the space to send him to Utica, but don't judge him just by his scoring.

I've actually been one of the biggest supporters of Eriksson in my hopes he will find his game again.  But what we're talking about here is a guy who is not at all living up to his contract... and I would actually argue that Gagner's 31 points is closer to his contract price than what we've seen from Eriksson.  Yes, I think Eriksson has some better mentoring skills and yes he is clearly better defensively, but I think if you're talking contract worth he's just as far away from his dollar figure as Gagner was - despite bringing more intangibles to the table.

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

The major difference between Eriksson and someone like Gagner is that Loui doesn't actually hurt the Canucks is any real way. He doesn't need to be sheltered, and can play on virtually any line thanks to his defensive ability. Hopefully he can put 20 goals this season to take the sting off his cap hit a bit. 

Gagner literally provides nothing if he's not scoring. And he doesn't do enough of that anymore to outweigh him being a liability in his zone. Here's hoping if he does actually end up in Utica he doesn't pout about it and he helps lead them to a Calder cup like a player with his skillset should. 

Archived