The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Waivers: who gets claimed?

Bert Diesel

10 hours ago, oldnews said:

True that I didn't calculate all the forwards - but clearly stated that I excluded small sample guys "like" Motte, Archie.......guys like Chaput who played 9 games, or Dorsett (who played 20 and suffered a career ending injury) or Dowd (none of whom will be with this team or who finished the season with the club) - did, as you point out have more hits/game in small samples.   My mindset is/more to the players that may be here, that may be claimed on waivers if exposed, who might be a part of this team's future - and additionally, the fact remains that Gaunce's numbers projected through 82 - as the only forward aside from Dorsett that made this team out of camp and possibly could have played 82 games here, would have put him second to Virtanen (or 3rd if we imagine a world where Dorsett still plays hockey). 

Does that mean that Gaunce is hard enough to play against?  No. Evidently the coaching staff feels that he can amp up his assertiveness or the heaviness to his game, but the idea that he isn't physical needs to be kept in context and looked at relative to the rest of this team.  Clearly he pales in comparison to very few of his team-mates.

To me it's the fact that call-ups played more physically and produced more than Gaunce that led them to go out and sign three bottom six UFA's. This has put Gaunce on the bubble. He's 24 and there's other youngsters coming up to compete for the role. As I've said, I won't be the least bit surprised to see him on waivers this fall and won't be surprised if he clears. Barring injuries, with the summer signings, I don't see who he will beat out for a role. At best I see him competing for 13th forward. At 24 a player needs to be better than on the bubble to avoid waivers. He'll really need to show more come preseason because there are more options this fall than last year.

14 hours ago, mll said:

Baer started only 29 games with Horvat-Boeser.  He averaged 15:30 per game.  That's not 1st line minutes.  That line was broken up in November and was never really re-united. Goldobin got that spot.  Doubtful Benning would have signed Baer to 3 years when he could have signed him to 1 if he was thinking of trading him.  

I think the opposite. A player on an innexpensive deal with more years is more attractive in trade than the same player on an expiring deal. If he is what he is you get fair value. If he takes another step forward  you have a good bargain for a few seasons.

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

I think the opposite. A player on an innexpensive deal with more years is more attractive in trade than the same player on an expiring deal. If he is what he is you get fair value. If he takes another step forward  you have a good bargain for a few seasons.

Not at the TDL where roster limits are lifted and players get added for depth.  He would also still be a RFA next year.  

4 hours ago, mll said:

Not at the TDL where roster limits are lifted and players get added for depth.  He would also still be a RFA next year.  

The trade deadline tendency is moving pending ufa's not pending rfa's as rentals. Even then a player signed multiple years is easier to trade than a pending rfa. Player prices go up as the cap goes up. So a player at a reasonable price for multiple years is more attractive. Teams don't tend to trade for pending rfa's without the intent of keeping them.

10 hours ago, Baggins said:

I agree. The Baer deal was a no brainier. The reality is that Baer will most likely be moved at some point. 3 years gives Benning a better option of when. IMHO Baer has proven himself a top 9 player on most NHL rosters. That is a tradeable asset. 

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

I agree. The Baer deal was a no brainier. The reality is that Baer will most likely be moved at some point. 3 years gives Benning a better option of when. IMHO Baer has proven himself a top 9 player on most NHL rosters. That is a tradeable asset. 

Baer is not getting waived.  He does have trade value, so if he gets pushed out by a younger guy, JB will definitely get a trade for Baer.  How much value Baer has is debatable though.  (Second round pick?  A player of similar age and cap dollar, who plays a different role?)

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Baer is not getting waived.  He does have trade value, so if he gets pushed out by a younger guy, JB will definitely get a trade for Baer.  How much value Baer has is debatable though.  (Second round pick?  A player of similar age and cap dollar, who plays a different role?)

he's going to get every chance to be successful this year, so any trade talk would come after this season for sure, but my money is on Seattle expansion for him. 

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

They are trying to build 4 scoring lines though.  Teams are trying to move their 3rd line to the 4th line.  The Canucks don't have enough skills so they had to go for shutdown lines but the team won't be able to keep up with the teams around them if they can't find more scorers.  

A team like NJD had 10 Fs with 12 goals.  The Canucks had 5 and only 3 left.  San Jose talks about how they want at least 2 x 15 goals scorers on each of their lines.  Teams are trying to have at least 3 skilled lines.  

• 2 weeks later...

With Roussel and Errikson injured, the door is open for some players that were potentially slated for Utica. It also makes the waivers issue far less of a big deal. The early play of Leipsic and Goldobin indicates to me, as I had hoped, that they will not be waived. Now I think the battle is between Motte, Gaudette, Gaunce and Gagner. I think Gagner(although i'd like him waived) and Motte are the ones likely to stay with the team. My concern is that if Motte plays one more game, he can't be sent back to Utica without waivers. I'd keep Gaunce over Motte for that reason but I think Motte is probably the better player.
23 man roster:

1.Markstrom 

2.Nilson

3. Boeser

4. Petterson

5. Horvat

6. Stecher

7. Edler

8. Beagle

9. Leipsic

10. Goldobin

11. Sutter

12. Schaller

13. Baertschi

14. Virtanen

15. Gudbranson

16. Tanev

17. Granlund

18. Del Zotto

Bubble guys

19. Hutton

20. Pouliot

21. Gagner

22. Biega

23. Motte/Gaunce/Gaudette

Injured 

1. Eriksson 

2. Roussel 

47 minutes ago, Bert Diesel said:

With Roussel and Errikson injured, the door is open for some players that were potentially slated for Utica. It also makes the waivers issue far less of a big deal. The early play of Leipsic and Goldobin indicates to me, as I had hoped, that they will not be waived. Now I think the battle is between Motte, Gaudette, Gaunce and Gagner. I think Gagner(although i'd like him waived) and Motte are the ones likely to stay with the team. My concern is that if Motte plays one more game, he can't be sent back to Utica without waivers. I'd keep Gaunce over Motte for that reason but I think Motte is probably the better player.
23 man roster:

1.Markstrom 

2.Nilson

3. Boeser

4. Petterson

5. Horvat

6. Stecher

7. Edler

8. Beagle

9. Leipsic

10. Goldobin

11. Sutter

12. Schaller

13. Baertschi

14. Virtanen

15. Gudbranson

16. Tanev

17. Granlund

18. Del Zotto

Bubble guys

19. Hutton

20. Pouliot

21. Gagner

22. Biega

Injured 

1. Eriksson 

2. Roussel 

At the start of the season, for asset management reasons, IMO, Gaudette and Motte will be sent to Utica. Depending on the timing of both the Eriksson and Roussel injuries,; Gaunce may escape being waived at the start of the season until either of the two aforementioned players returns to play. In some ways this might be an advantage for the team as he would have a better chance of clearing waivers after the season has already started

1 hour ago, Bert Diesel said:

23 man roster:

1.Markstrom 

2.Nilson

3. Boeser

4. Petterson

5. Horvat

6. Stecher

7. Edler

8. Beagle

9. Leipsic

10. Goldobin

11. Sutter

12. Schaller

13. Baertschi

14. Virtanen

15. Gudbranson

16. Tanev

17. Granlund

18. Del Zotto

Bubble guys

19. Hutton

20. Pouliot

21. Gagner

22. Biega

Injured 

1. Eriksson 

2. Roussel 

Likely both Eriksson and Roussel are back by the season opener/on the opening roster.

Ideally IMO we'd move Gagner (Carolina?) and keep one of Gaunce/Archibald as the spare along with one of Goldobin/Leipsic/Granlund swapping out the other spare forward spot depending on their play, opponent etc.

The way they've been playing, don't be surprised if Sautner and Motte make the team.  They could bump out veterans.  I don't think Gagner has played well enough nor Gaunce (even though I want to keep Gaunce because I don't think we've seen his full potential).  If those players were waived, I think they'd both be picked up. I would hate to see us waive Archibald because he brings something we possess very little (toughness).  Archibald had a bad facial injury (cheek fracture) last November and I think, now that he's recovered, he will stick his nose in more.  We would likely lose Archibald too to a team that wants a Reaves-like player on their roster.  Motte and Leipsic could also get picked up if they were waived.  I think we should send Gaudette down to the Comets.  He is close but could use a little more molding/maturing; plus, he isn't waiver eligible.

40 minutes ago, sockeye said:

The way they've been playing, don't be surprised if Sautner and Motte make the team.  They could bump out veterans.  I don't think Gagner has played well enough nor Gaunce (even though I want to keep Gaunce because I don't think we've seen his full potential).  If those players were waived, I think they'd both be picked up. I would hate to see us waive Archibald because he brings something we possess very little (toughness).  Archibald had a bad facial injury (cheek fracture) last November and I think, now that he's recovered, he will stick his nose in more.  We would likely lose Archibald too to a team that wants a Reaves-like player on their roster.  Motte and Leipsic could also get picked up if they were waived.  I think we should send Gaudette down to the Comets.  He is close but could use a little more molding/maturing; plus, he isn't waiver eligible.

I don't think Motte will make the team but not because he hasn't outplayed some of the others as I think he has. The big issue is that he is exempt from waivers and both he and Adam Gaudette will go to Utica before the season starts because of asset management. JB needs to move some veterans out and it might take some time to do that.

21 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I don't think Motte will make the team but not because he hasn't outplayed some of the others as I think he has. The big issue is that he is exempt from waivers and both he and Adam Gaudette will go to Utica before the season starts because of asset management. JB needs to move some veterans out and it might take some time to do that.

Good point.  I thought that Motte was waiver eligible because he has played 79 NHL games but I believe he signed his NHL contract in the 2016-2017 so he hasn't met the three year minimum (given that he is only 23 whereas Leipsic is 24) to be waiver eligible but I'm not well-versed in the NHLPA contract.

Archived