The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Sbisa Skating with Islanders

Provost

Just now, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Benning talks about having more grit, so why wouldn't you bring him back to stand up for some of these young players coming up in the system? Gudbranson isn't going to protect them all.

Roussel, Schaller, Beagle all stood up for their teammates in Dallas, Boston, and DC. Schaller, in fact, fought Gudbranson last season after Guddy hit Vatrano in the numbers and sent him to the quiet room.

8 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Benning talks about having more grit, so why wouldn't you bring him back to stand up for some of these young players coming up in the system? Gudbranson isn't going to protect them all.

Schaller and Roussel can throw them to but I get what your saying, if you have a defenseman on the ice 2/3 of the time that can protect and dish out too it makes it that much harder for the other team to take their cheap shots.  

Just now, IBatch said:

Schaller and Roussel can throw them to but I get what your saying, if you have a defenseman on the ice 2/3 of the time that can protect and dish out too it makes it that much harder for the other team to take their cheap shots.  

Exactly they're the ones on the ice the most normally, heck I was on board for them to bring Bieksa back, not because of his hockey IQ but his grit and standing up for his teammates, in a rebuild they should have him until the team becomes good again then cut ties. Bieksa imo is one the best pound for pound tough guys out there, Rypien was always my number one in that category, but Rypien tought Bieksa a lot and he clearly learned imo. 

32 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Exactly they're the ones on the ice the most normally, heck I was on board for them to bring Bieksa back, not because of his hockey IQ but his grit and standing up for his teammates, in a rebuild they should have him until the team becomes good again then cut ties. Bieksa imo is one the best pound for pound tough guys out there, Rypien was always my number one in that category, but Rypien tought Bieksa a lot and he clearly learned imo. 

If a Tanev deal materialized that was worth moving him for, I'd have zero problem signing a guy like Sbisa or Bieksa to a short term deal to fill in there until we have more kids ready to make the jump over the next couple years.

Without that though...

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

In all seriousness though, Edler, when paired with Guddy, is far more physical. Outside of those two, the physicality does drop off, I will agree with you.

Edler hasn't been the same physical player since his back injuries, he's not as tough as he used to be. I'll give him some credit last year he showed some stretches of his old self a bit, but still it's not consistent enough game in and game out, that can't cut it imo.

56 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If a Tanev deal materialized that was worth moving him for, I'd have zero problem signing a guy like Sbisa or Bieksa to a short term deal to fill in there until we have more kids ready to make the jump over the next couple years.

Without that though...

I'd rather a Bieksa or Sbisa playing over a Hutton or MDZ.

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Meh, MDZ will likely be replaced by OJ at some point leading up to the TDL.

I think only one of Hutton/Pouliot survive the year, the other likely replaced by Hughes next year. Until then I'm happy to see them duke it out and see if they can't raise their trade value.

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Meh, MDZ will likely be replaced by OJ at some point leading up to the TDL.

I think only one of Hutton/Pouliot survive the year, the other likely replaced by Hughes next year. Until then I'm happy to see them duke it out and see if they can't raise their trade value.

Let's sure hope OJ can, the sooner the better. I would put my money on Pouliot over Hutton at least Pouliot knows more on how to play his actual position D, Hutton imo should just learn to be a forward he's clueless on D. But I'll agree on hoping somehow he can get some trade value, just painful to watch and see if it happens.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

I think some folks have forgotten how end-of-life Bieksa was before he left here.

Ya, he is too far along to be useful in that role nowadays.

Sbisa is still a solid 3rd pairing guy, he beats Pouliot or Del Zotto in that spot.  In our case we have some even younger guys in the wings when we can manage to clear out the logjam in front of them.  I look forward to seeing them when we go through the usual 11-13 D this season.

Honestly, with the league moving so quickly to youth, there have been really decent, bottom of the roster, veterans left scrambling for jobs each fall.

3 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I'm all for Bieksa/Sbisa but not at the cost of Hutton at this point. This is a make or break year for both Hutton and Pouliot, so I'd rather see if either of them has taken a big step in their development over the summer. If Hutton bombs in training camp I'd be OK with offering either guy a 1 year $1-1.5M deal. Especially if a guy like Biega ends up getting sent down/claimed. If you look at Biega's advanced stats, he was one of the more effective 3rd pairing defencemen in the league last year.

16 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

I think some folks have forgotten how end-of-life Bieksa was before he left here.

Meh, as a likely #7 guy behind Stecher, Gudbranson and probably Pouliot, I'd be fine with him back on the team for his truculence and interviews alone :lol:

On 10/09/2018 at 8:46 PM, VIC_CITY said:

I'm all for Bieksa/Sbisa but not at the cost of Hutton at this point. This is a make or break year for both Hutton and Pouliot, so I'd rather see if either of them has taken a big step in their development over the summer. If Hutton bombs in training camp I'd be OK with offering either guy a 1 year $1-1.5M deal. Especially if a guy like Biega ends up getting sent down/claimed. If you look at Biega's advanced stats, he was one of the more effective 3rd pairing defencemen in the league last year.

Biega is really under valued... He always brought his A game. He has his limitations but plays a very tough brand of hockey. 

Let's see how Hutt plays... He's trained hard this summer. I think we can all agree both him and troy had poor seasons and need to step it up this year. 

Archived