The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo as the third line center?

Brovat

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

If we're picking #2, trading to #1 becomes more palatable and more in line with OP's original gameplan: #2OA + 2nd + Tanev + Dipietro

Totally but that's a giant pile of crap other than Dipietro considering the team drafting 1st is more likely rebuilding they won't want Tanev.

I also can counter and say the difference between first and second overall typically isn't worth the spread most teams will take to move down.

3 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

1)  Canucks need DEFENSE... not offense.

2)  No team will trade a pick for Jack Hughes unless he falls on his face from now till the end of his season.  He is head and shoulders over any other choice at this point.

The realistic answer:  The only way we get JH is if we get lucky in the lottery.

Otherwise, we should look very carefully at the available big mean and tough D and look at trading up or down to get one.

Based on the season so far, it may be we fall at approx. the 13th overall, in which case the Canucks should look very closely at Philip Broberg a 6' 3" 200 lb Big D.

Great PP Quarterback with a hard accurate shot.  Soft hands, great skating ability, able to break out and lead a rush, the strength to power around opposing defensemen and take the puck to the net.  Also very responsible on defense with the strength the win the corner battles.

Check him out:

[video]

[/video]

Good scouting but my lord 13th overall pick? We are basically in last.

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

Totally but that's a giant pile of crap other than Dipietro considering the team drafting 1st is more likely rebuilding they won't want Tanev.

I also can counter and say the difference between first and second overall typically isn't worth the spread most teams will take to move down.

Lol, yes, but for the sake of conversation: what if the team that wins 1OA isn't in a rebuild, maybe just barely missed the playoffs by two points.

I assume Tanev is valuable in that case, however, how badly do we want Hughes over Kakko? Considering how we desperately need Tanev.

I guess we've got a seriously flawed proposal.

And still don't have the assets to make a trade of that significance. Maybe one day.

3 hours ago, Brovat said:

Had a good chat with a pal about this. 

Hughes is a must this draft. I’m paraphrasing but at the 2018 draft Jack all but said the same thing. 

I hope they dont finish too high this year and get a little lotto luck. 

Assuming they don’t win first overall I would throw whatever it took plus picks towards getting Jack. 

Obviously Bo, EP, Brock, Quinn are untouchable and not going anywhere. 

I also would keep JV and Adam G and would have a very tough time letting either one go. 

In my head assuming the Canucks have a first round pick in the top 5 I would send the first round and second plus Tanev and ? for the first OA. 

If they get Jack the center position is top notch for the next decade. Build around whatever is left. 

EP, Hughes, Horvat, Gaudette. That’s a crazy amount of talent once seasoned. 

Thoughts?

Another Center is Not what is needed. A big D with offensive upside(Broberg) or a big winger is what is needed to balance out this team. 

47 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Lol, yes, but for the sake of conversation: what if the team that wins 1OA isn't in a rebuild, maybe just barely missed the playoffs by two points.

I assume Tanev is valuable in that case, however, how badly do we want Hughes over Kakko? Considering how we desperately need Tanev.

I guess we've got a seriously flawed proposal.

And still don't have the assets to make a trade of that significance. Maybe one day.

Yea it's a great discussion. I would assume if a team just missed the playoffs Hughes would make a greater impact than Tanev and friends plus the 2nd overall.

2 hours ago, Russ said:

And thats where the convo ends.  Is Hughes or Kakko really that much more elite to give up whatever quality center plus one of those 4 kids?  I don't think so, rather go a hair below in skill with another 4/5 pick and build with the other young kids. 

Yep. And if they were REALLY that much elite, the team with the 1/2 OA auto-shuts down any bid. Both Buffalo and Edmonton categorically said they wont trade the 2 & 1 OA unless something 'shocking happened', because both saw Eichel and McDavid as generationals. 

I do think this draft is an unique scenario for a specific team - the hated TML. They are in cap crunch and they are the only team i can see making a sweet sweet deal like their 1st + Kapanen + 2019 1st + Kadri or someone. And by far, they are the team which are in a position to offer the most and i still think its more likely that team with 1OA keeps their pick.

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

Good scouting by my lord 13th overall pick? We are basically in last.

Unless they get another series of major injuries to key players Canucks will not finish in last position...  they have improved a lot over last year.

My feeling is they will pick around 8-10... and if they have the chance, they should trade up or down to get Broberg.

I'm just worried he'll end up rated higher than 13th.

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Just Canuck luck I'm going to assume we won't get first overall.

I'd like to see a local pick for a change.

Bowen Byram. 

The last local pick was Virtanen and look how that turned out.... sure he's doing okay, but nothing like projected. 

5 hours ago, Jaku said:

It'll cost a young extremely talented forward with that 5 OA to obtain the 1st. No way a team lets go of the 1st overall pick without absolutely robbing a team blind. Especially with how talented Jack Hughes is. 

Let's say the Canucks land Jack Hughes there does become an issue with the center depth. Bo is too talented to be buried down the depth chart so why not run a system like:

Hughes - Pettersson - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen ? 

That top line would be waaaay too tiny for my liking. 

Archived