The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Rangers trade Marek Mazanec to Canucks for 2020 7th-round pick

Just now, Canuckster86 said:

should have just signed a free agent goalie or given Leighton an NHL contract.

Pretty sad it got to this point, Management sure didnt do much in the last 5 weeks since moving Nilsson for a 6th to then trade a 7th for a legit only AHL G.

Oh well hindsight is 20 20 in the end but this should have never became an issue for us....especially after Demko got hurt. Oh well, all hail JB right....

I guess you missed the part where Johnson and Benning were discussing options in net for over a month after losing McKenna. 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

I guess you missed the part where Johnson and Benning were discussing options in net for over a month after losing McKenna. 

So why the wait after Demko got hurt?  Why not get an experienced back up at that point, instead of calling up a 19 year old kid from Junior?  Certainly we didn’t want this kid to start swimming in over his head, right?  

JB gambled that Philly would waive McKenna, and Marky would play all the games.  He lost both bets.  I don’t mind that, but if a getting a guyto get thrown to the Sharks only cost a 7th, why take that gamble in the first place?  I’d like JB to explain his thinking on this one, because it put one of our prospects back in development.  

3 minutes ago, 406in604 said:

Facts are hard. Wonder why Benning didn't trade Schaller then?

You've presented no facts to disprove anything. There is a 1-3% chance that a Zetterberg in the 7th round. At best. 

The facts are you have a slim chance of drafting anything of note in the 7th round. 

If you think otherwise I got oceanfront property in Saskatchewan to sell you. 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So why the wait after Demko got hurt?  Why not get an experienced back up at that point, instead of calling up a 19 year old kid from Junior?  Certainly we didn’t want this kid to start swimming in over his head, right?  

JB gambled that Philly would waive McKenna, and Marky would play all the games.  He lost both bets.  I don’t mind that, but if a getting a guyto get thrown to the Sharks only cost a 7th, why take that gamble in the first place?  I’d like JB to explain his thinking on this one, because it put one of our prospects back in development.  

Because Demko is/was day to day. 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

As soon as Demko came up lame we needed a guy.  Didn’t the GM in Utica say as much? 

I think in Benning's eyes it's better to take that risk and wait until you actually need to give up something to acquire a goalie. The chances that Markstrom also got injured were low, and hindsight is 20/20. We know now that it only took a 2020 7th to acquire a temporary goalie, but again you can't predict that.

10 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

You've presented no facts to disprove anything. There is a 1-3% chance that a Zetterberg in the 7th round. At best. 

The facts are you have a slim chance of drafting anything of note in the 7th round. 

If you think otherwise I got oceanfront property in Saskatchewan to sell you. 

Waterfront is not ocean front. 

22 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

so they talked for a month, then immediately after the 19 yr old Dipietro gets shelled they go out and easy acquire an AHL G for a 7th rounder?

Kind of sad, these guys get paid alot, seems like an easy decision they could have made the day after Demko was hurt simply as a precaution to go an sign a G without giving up any asset. 7th rounder likely is a nothing pick but some gems who can play in the NHL have gone in that round

Archived