The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion: Playoffs or Lotto Pick

Seannnp

Playoffs or Lotto Pick   

124 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, appleboy said:

The problem right now is that the teams ahead of us keep crapping the bed. It keeps our hopes alive. Management won't give up until it is written in stone.

I hope Spooner can get things going here. He could be a good fit with Bo.  It would allow Benning to make a deal or two albeit small ones.

Jim knows Spooner from Boston. 

Management should have their plan in place already and keep to  , don't get fooled by other teams crapping the bed. Could this team beat Calgary, San Jose, Winnipeg....the top teams in a series? Do they have the depth? What if Pettersson, Horvat or Boeser got seriously hurt playing games they can't win especially if Markstrom tires or whatever and without any one of those mentioned.

Do fans/posters not watch the playoffs because the Nucks are not playing? Have they forgot how much the Sedins took, crosscheck head first into the boards, Brown running over Hank very late, Ferland running over everyone and destroying the Canucks single handed? Horvat is just about finished growing into his "man" body, Pettersson and Boeser are still getting there. Do fans/posters expect a fine or suspension after will prevent a team from winning the cup? Simple to defeat the Canucks, run over goalie, take out one of three forwards with a 4th line AHL grunt. So what do the kids learn? The game/refs aren't fair or that body checks now hit the body instead of a 50/50 boards/body, why a guy like Wilson, Reeves, Byfuglien or Roussel get big paydays apart from just playing hockey, all are noted for destroying opponents or as "dirty" players.

Spooner, another smaller AHLer that once scored a whooping 13 goals playing with the best players on Boston, at over 3 million and 28 yrs old next season, not really even a hockey trade especially if he has to play with Pettersson to be effective, what is his purpose here?

I don't get the "hockey trade" cr@p, every deal is a hockey trade, trade to improve now or the future, trade to make cap room, trade to add depth, Spooner for Gagne was not an improvement and barely a sideways deal.

I think they might mean trades of significant players, like mentioned around Horvat. Maybe Boeser and Tanev and maybe picks/prospects for Dahlin.:lol: Now that might be a "hockey trade" both teams get what they need, Buffalo has plenty of offence from defence even without Dahlin but a trigger man playing with either Reinhart or Eichel could put them in the playoffs guaranteed. Nucks draft in the top 5/6 this year and next. Scoring from some of the vaunted prospects that have never played a NHL game, only need 40 goals.:lol:

I wouldn’t trade Horvat unless we were massively overpaid for him. Anyone older than him should be fair game though. Unlike the benning Apologists, I think there are plenty of 2nd and 3rdsavailable and I actually think Edler would have landed us a first if we were smart enough to trade him when he was playing really well right before the injury, NTC or not, I don’t think it’s that hard to get someone to waive.

Anyways, it’s too late now. Sigh...

6 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I don't get the "hockey trade" cr@p, every deal is a hockey trade, trade to improve now or the future, trade to make cap room, trade to add depth, Spooner for Gagne was not an improvement and barely a sideways deal.

Teams are made up of a few stars and a bunch of players who we will call supporting cast. Sometimes it is about chemistry.  Spooner had some decent years in B town but never found a fit in Oil town. Maybe he is a fit with Bo. No loss to try and if he fits then you might have a spare part or two to move. 

I think they do have a plan in place but plans usually have moving parts. If we are clearly out of the playoffs then we might do this. If we are still in the hunt then we go this route. 

2 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

I wouldn’t trade Horvat unless we were massively overpaid for him. Anyone older than him should be fair game though. Unlike the benning Apologists, I think their are plenty of seconds and 3rds. I actually think Edler would have landed us a first if we were smart enough to trade him when he was playing really well right before the injury, NTC or not, I don’t think it’s that hard to get someone to waive.

Anyways, it’s too late now. Sigh...

Ya “Benning Apologists” know that Edler has a NTC - he has to agree to be traded. But let’s ignore all that: your “term” is a famous one on hockey forums, go back there buddy.

I’m glad YOU who’s never had a contract negotiation in your life “think” it’s not hard to get someone to waive.

Did you ever think that’s a legally binding agreement? Did you consider the implications of trying to breach a contract? Did you consider he took a discount in order to have that clause? Did you consider other players in the future will never take a discount for that clause again if Benning just constantly disregards it as his choice? Nah you didn’t 

3 hours ago, 40Dangles said:

Ya “Benning Apologists” know that Edler has a NTC - he has to agree to be traded. But let’s ignore all that: your “term” is a famous one on hockey forums, go back there buddy.

I’m glad YOU who’s never had a contract negotiation in your life “think” it’s not hard to get someone to waive.

Did you ever think that’s a legally binding agreement? Did you consider the implications of trying to breach a contract? Did you consider he took a discount in order to have that clause? Did you consider other players in the future will never take a discount for that clause again if Benning just constantly disregards it as his choice? Nah you didn’t 

Why would I consider that stuff when it’s absolutely not necessary to do so? Lol

You apologists are hilarious.

This is all you need to know. Anyone in their right mind would not work somewhere they are not wanted. You just have to ask him to waive and he will feel unwanted. That’s the first step. Sure you might take slightly less if he narrows it down to a few teams he would waive to but I still think it’s a 1st rounder.

Another reason I don’t have to consider your apologist list of questions is Benning said he isn’t trading him and Edler said he was never asked to to waive. That tells me it Bennng’s fault because he wasnt even smart enough to try. So your excuses for him are moot since he went on record saying he didn’t try. 

6 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Why would I consider that stuff when it’s absolutely not necessary to do so? Lol

This is all you need to know. Anyone in their right mind would not work somewhere they are not wanted. You just have to ask him to waive and he will feel unwanted. That’s the first step. Sure you might take slightly less if he narrows it down to a few teams he would waive to but I still think it’s a 1st rounder.

Another reason I don’t have to consider your apologist list of questions is Benning said he isn’t trading him and Edler said he was never asked to to waive. That tells me it Bennng’s fault because he wasnt even smart enough to try. So your excuses for him are moot since he went on record saying he didn’t try. 

I guess you don’t get the part about cap management and why ntcs are used. And why abiding by them matters for the future.

”apologists” lol. Not long till you’re back on HF and banned from here bro, what’s your name on that site so I can go laugh at more of your childish anger about a hockey team you’re “apparently” a fan of. What’s the other term the man child trolls there use for people who actually know hockey and appreciate where this team is headed?  “benning bro”? Lol

i notice most of the “fans” on HF who share similar views as you actually want the team to fail. Last time I checked that’s not being a fan, it’s more of being a  troll.

Pathetic 

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Not many people saw Pettersson the first time, why expect to see him this draft?::D

Lots of people wanted to trade down for him and liljdgren, including myself, but I had no idea he would be this good. I would have been happy with a better version of Alex Steen.

1 minute ago, 40Dangles said:

I guess you don’t get the part about cap management and why ntcs are used. And why abiding by them matters for the future.

”apologists” lol. Not long till you’re back on HF and banned from here bro, what’s your name on that site so I can go laugh at more of your childish anger about a hockey team you’re “apparently” a fan of.

i notice most of the “fans” on HF who share similar views as you actually want the team to fail. Last time I checked that’s not being a fan, it’s more of beinga troll.

Pathetic 

Lol Benning has no problems getting fleeced in the Kesler and Garrison NTC trades. Even if he was slightly better with this one he SHOULD be able to get decent value for Edler. He is obviously not opposed to asking people to waive so why you are using “honouring contracts “ as an excuse for him now is beyond me. Lol apologists.

7 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Lol Benning has no problems getting fleeced in the Kesler and Garrison NTC trades. Even if he was slightly better with this one he SHOULD be able to get decent value for Edler. He is obviously not opposed to asking people to waive so why you are using “honouring contracts “ as an excuse for him now is beyond me. Lol apologists.

Fleeced in a deal in which he had one team to trade Kesler to? Lol Kesler demanded a trade to one team champ. Lol

Garrison? Who? That guy who isn’t reporting to the AHL and didn’t do anything for Tampa? Ya cool stories man. Anyone who watches hockey knows Elder means more to this team than a guy like Garrison. How you respect players who’ve played their careers here matters. Also Garrison was known to be willing to move back to Tampa , look it up http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=76396

you really need to work on the defense of your arguments, they are baseless lol. I also find it funny you critisize Benning for failing yet he moved an overpriced piece of crap who’s slow and out of the league for a second rounder lol. But I’m an “apologist”. By any means if you look at Garrisons production since that deal it was a marvellous trade, second rounder plus 4.5 mil in cap space lol.

Hope you learn more about hockey soon! Keep watching it will come!

8 hours ago, 40Dangles said:

Fleeced in a deal in which he had one team to trade Kesler to? Lol Kesler demanded a trade to one team champ. Lol

Garrison? Who? That guy who isn’t reporting to the AHL and didn’t do anything for Tampa? Ya cool stories man. Anyone who watches hockey knows Elder means more to this team than a guy like Garrison. How you respect players who’ve played their careers here matters. Also Garrison was known to be willing to move back to Tampa , look it up http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=76396

you really need to work on the defense of your arguments, they are baseless lol. I also find it funny you critisize Benning for failing yet he moved an overpriced piece of crap who’s slow and out of the league for a second rounder lol. But I’m an “apologist”. By any means if you look at Garrisons production since that deal it was a marvellous trade, second rounder plus 4.5 mil in cap space lol.

Hope you learn more about hockey soon! Keep watching it will come!

Garrison, he was a top free agent dman, took a hair cut to come to Vancouver, close to home, Nanaimo BC.

"When it all kind of happened I was shocked and I didn't want to go anywhere else. I only signed here two years ago and wanted to be here the whole time for sure," Garrison told Team 1040 AM in Vancouver.

"The Jason move was we're trying to get a little bit younger on the back end, so Luca gives us youth on the back end," Canucks general manager Jim Benning said on a media conference call. "And going into free agency we wanted to free up some money to be in the game on some of these free agents come July 1."

Benning said the Garrison and Kesler trades didn't mean the Canucks were entering a rebuild.

"We acquired players that we thought are going to have an impact on us winning next year," he said. "We've been talking about bringing in some good energy guys that are going to work hard and compete hard physically and he's going to do that for us. So that's kind of why we did it, to help our team. If it was going to be a rebuild then maybe we wouldn't have tried to fight so hard to get players that can come in and help our team win next year."

New general manager Jim Benning will consider approaching players to waive no-trade clauses to help re-tool or re-build the team. Benning believes the club is close to getting back to the playoffs, so it’s probably a re-tool for now.

So Benning has asked and traded cause contract players

Benning felt 29 was too old and should be replaced for younger dmen.

Apparently Chicago was also a team, Benning must not like Chicago, that is two times he had possible deals.

58 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

FYI Hughes is starting to look an awful like Nolan Patrick, maintaining #1 status but missing a bunch of key hockey with injuries or whatever.

He's that talented though.  Can be invisible half the game and then have an absolutely dominant shift.  He also isn't getting inflated numbers due to simply physically maturing faster than his peers.  If he falls, he'll be an absolute steal.

On 2/18/2019 at 12:47 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

Management should have their plan in place already and keep to  , don't get fooled by other teams crapping the bed. Could this team beat Calgary, San Jose, Winnipeg....the top teams in a series? Do they have the depth? What if Pettersson, Horvat or Boeser got seriously hurt playing games they can't win especially if Markstrom tires or whatever and without any one of those mentioned.

Do fans/posters not watch the playoffs because the Nucks are not playing? Have they forgot how much the Sedins took, crosscheck head first into the boards, Brown running over Hank very late, Ferland running over everyone and destroying the Canucks single handed? Horvat is just about finished growing into his "man" body, Pettersson and Boeser are still getting there. Do fans/posters expect a fine or suspension after will prevent a team from winning the cup? Simple to defeat the Canucks, run over goalie, take out one of three forwards with a 4th line AHL grunt. So what do the kids learn? The game/refs aren't fair or that body checks now hit the body instead of a 50/50 boards/body, why a guy like Wilson, Reeves, Byfuglien or Roussel get big paydays apart from just playing hockey, all are noted for destroying opponents or as "dirty" players.

Spooner, another smaller AHLer that once scored a whooping 13 goals playing with the best players on Boston, at over 3 million and 28 yrs old next season, not really even a hockey trade especially if he has to play with Pettersson to be effective, what is his purpose here?

I think they might mean trades of significant players, like mentioned around Horvat. Maybe Boeser and Tanev and maybe picks/prospects for Dahlin.:lol: Now that might be a "hockey trade" both teams get what they need, Buffalo has plenty of offence from defence even without Dahlin but a trigger man playing with either Reinhart or Eichel could put them in the playoffs guaranteed. Nucks draft in the top 5/6 this year and next. Scoring from some of the vaunted prospects that have never played a NHL game, only need 40 goals.:lol:

chill.jpg.5631cad6abe63d85389db5602f49183c.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:41 AM, TheGuardian_ said:

FYI Hughes is starting to look an awful like Nolan Patrick, maintaining #1 status but missing a bunch of key hockey with injuries or whatever.

That couldn't be further from the truth. The only similarity there is he is missing games. He is still at 1.93 PPG pace, which is second only to Auston Matthews all time.

Hughes is the closest player to McDavid in terms of creating at high speeds. Have you seen him play?

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 12:42 PM, King Heffy said:

He's that talented though.  Can be invisible half the game and then have an absolutely dominant shift.  He also isn't getting inflated numbers due to simply physically maturing faster than his peers.  If he falls, he'll be an absolute steal.

I think the invisibility factor is likely from disinterest. When you dominate the league like he has, there isn't much to show or prove anymore.

I don't think he falls past 2 and likely still ends up going 1st.

On 2/18/2019 at 11:45 PM, Tomatoes11 said:

Or perhaps Benning is simply honoring Edlers ntc as he has said outright several times he wants to stay.

1 hour ago, Seannnp said:

I think the invisibility factor is likely from disinterest. When you dominate the league like he has, there isn't much to show or prove anymore.

I don't think he falls past 2 and likely still ends up going 1st.

He was disinterested in the WJHC playing for his country?  That's a red flag for me regarding compete level.

Archived