The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

4 hours ago, shad0w4life said:

Can you post the rest of the tweet that shows the entitlement, you only posted the one where he told his agent he felt like he wasn't properly developing into a two way hockey player.

He told his agent this, his agent approached Benning and they said maybe a trade would be good, nowhere does it say that Dhalen requested the trade, he voiced his concerns to his agent, and then his agent and Benning talked.  JFC it's people like you that are why a 21 year old kid quit social media due to harassment and threats. Talk about entitled, you add your own spin to a story and expect everyone to treat is as the damn gospel to worship.

Palmu felt the same

Lind isn't developing

Gadj isn't developing

Our entire prospect pool sucks under Cull, can't think of one player now we have there.

But hey lets blame the kid whos agent brought up concerns to Benning and they ended up trading.

Until you post something where Dhalen says "I asked my agent for a trade"  quit putting words in his mouth.

Dhwali also said Utica is doing a horrible job.

When a player goes to their agent to go above the Utica management, it's likely to complain and potentially make a request. If it's simply a question of deployment or whatever, you talk to your coaches about that man to man. "Voicing concerns" in what sounds like a very diplomatic way of dealing with it is unlikely to lead to a trade. If this has been discussed for a while and Dahlen got to the point where he wanted out, well that likely means he's been complaining since he got here. 

Let's keep in mind that we wanted him here last year to get started on seasoning him in the AHL. He chose to go back to Timra which was fine, but wasn't going to bypass him from playing in the AHL especially considering it wasn't even the top league in Sweden. It would appear he never wanted to play in the AHL, but wasn't good enough not to. We will see where his career leads to.

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Oh, I dunno. I was wondering about Cull maybe giving poor reviews or maybe not seeing eye to eye.

But I agree with you, I don't think Dahlen handled this very well from what I'm seeing.

By no means do I think I know better than those in the org.

I'm touchy about old boys clubs though and hope we asses players on their on ice performance. I would have liked to see him with EP for a couple games now that they don't matter. I understand that he wasn't lights out down in Utica but he has a bit of history with EP, would it have hurt to sit Granny or Loui for a look?

I think we all did.  I doubted it would be before the TDL this season and he didn't get there.  

It was very premature to end the relationship but from the reports, I dont see the Canucks as the issue, Utica maybe and Dahlen's camp for sure. 

Such is life.  The only concern I have is if this will have any affect on EP40.  But other than that, nada.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

I think we all did.  I doubted it would be before the TDL this season and he didn't get there.  

It was very premature to end the relationship but from the reports, I dont see the Canucks as the issue, Utica maybe and Dahlen's camp for sure. 

Such is life.  The only concern I have is if this will have any affect on EP40.  But other than that, nada.  

He'll be fine, he's a big boy. He will find new friends here. It's like moving your kids to a new school and worrying if they were adapt. Most kids usually do. In this case, EP isn't even moving so he's got his buddies here. Dahlen is more of the concern without his buddy in EP, but perhaps the SJ system will cheer him up.

• Upvote 1

I'm starting to think that Cull needs to be shown the door. He's failed on so many prospects in his first year that I'm not neccessarily sure he is the best person to develop players. It especially seems like he can't do too well with European players since now Palmu and Dahlen are gone.

29 minutes ago, smokes said:

I'm starting to think that Cull needs to be shown the door. He's failed on so many prospects in his first year that I'm not neccessarily sure he is the best person to develop players. It especially seems like he can't do too well with European players since now Palmu and Dahlen are gone.

The biggest mistake was management deciding to turn every prospect we had pro. There was already a team of solid AHL vets and fresh young bodies like MacEwen and Jasek from the year before! Then you decide to bring in ALL of Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, Dahlen, and Palmu. There’s not enough room on a roster! Where did you think all the minutes for these kids was gonna come from? If it were me Gadjovich (had an injury hampered down year last year) and Palmu (super long shot at best) both wouldn’t have started on the Comets. I would have left Gadj in the CHL to destroy and regain any lost confidence and I would’ve left Palmu in Europe.

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

The biggest mistake was management deciding to turn every prospect we had pro. There was already a team of solid AHL vets and fresh young bodies like MacEwen and Jasek from the year before! Then you decide to bring in ALL of Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, Dahlen, and Palmu. There’s not enough room on a roster! Where did you think all the minutes for these kids was gonna come from? If it were me Gadjovich (had an injury hampered down year last year) and Palmu (super long shot at best) both wouldn’t have started on the Comets. I would have left Gadj in the CHL to destroy and regain any lost confidence and I would’ve left Palmu in Europe.

Both Palmu and Gads started in the ECHL....

Gads wasn't going to improve beating up on kiddies.  Palmu went back Europe and is still a Canucks prospect.  

Lind was also not going to benefit from playing more CHL games.  Both Hads and Lind have made progress in their games after some injuries and adjustments.... so what is the problem other than an unhappy Dahlen?  

Should management critically evaluate Cull at the end of the year, yes absolutely.  But they should fo that every year with everyone.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

He'll be fine, he's a big boy. He will find new friends here. It's like moving your kids to a new school and worrying if they were adapt. Most kids usually do. In this case, EP isn't even moving so he's got his buddies here. Dahlen is more of the concern without his buddy in EP, but perhaps the SJ system will cheer him up.

I agree... but I have insecurity issues, I am a Canucks fan...

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, smokes said:

Thinking Cull needs to be shown the door for his developmental ability in less than a season is as ridiculous as Dahlen asking for a trade in the same amount of time. What exactly was the expectations for our prospects after 60 games in the professional level?

Could it even remotely be possible that the prospects may not be as good as they're hyped up to be yet?

Can't handle Europeans? People seem to forget that Palmu is a 5'6 overager 7th rounder. He was a long shot to begin with and it wasn't like he was forced to leave. Guys like Lind and Gadjovich were already not getting minutes and this route allowed Palmu to gain more minutes (and in turn opened up more time for Lind, Gadjovich, etc). He's still Canucks property should he find another level to his game. Only other Euros he had a chance to work with other than Dahlen are Jasek (who's still with the team) and Juolevi (injured early on). Doesn't seem to be a lot of evidence to back this claim up here.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Gaudette was to be signed or allowed to go for a 4th year in college and open up the possibility of hitting free agency (imagine the scrutiny of management had this happened).

Dahlen didn't want to stay last year. It was thought because he had mono in preseason, so it would be best for him to have another developmental year in Sweden. It's looking more like he didn't want to put in the time in the AHL. He would've been one year more into his NA development had he stayed last year and maybe had a real crack this preseason (which we still gave him a decent look and wasn't good enough yet).

Palmu was an overager when drafted already. He had an impressive camp and earned himself a contract. He was sent back to Finland and still remains Canuck property. He's no longer in the jam and is still developing in a men's league. But he's a 7th rounder, so an AHL regular would be a success for him.

Gadjovich was already a man amongst boys. There was no reason for him to go back to juniors.

Lind had progressed a lot in Junior and didn't have much left to prove there either. Both him and Gadj have been improving as the season has gone on for them.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I like how people take management on their word, but dismiss Dahlen's word completely. He said he knows he's gotta be great at the AHL level to move onto the next level. And that's what he wants. He just feels he's not being used properly by the coaching staff here to reach that point. Then there's the Agent's word on a trade being a very recent option brought to the table. We gonna blame Dahlen and claim he demanded out just cause Benning jumped at the first prospect they liked for a trade?

Y'all make it seem like you've never disliked a job or something in your life cause you feel it was keeping you stagnant. He feels his looks in Utica was hurting his development more than helping it. That could literally mean anything. Yet all of you are jumping at the "he wants to be in the NHL without working hard for it". He battled hard to pull his team into the SHL, we gonna pretend he was entitled and not hard working then too? 

I am not saying Dahlen and his agent are absolved of any wrong doing, but lets not pretend we know what's going through his head. We have actual statements to go off of, and none of them really tell me Dahlen is entitled. His camp didn't go with a trade demand immediately, as was stated by his agent. Dahlen has been unhappy with his development all season and just recently did the idea of a trade come up, doesn't sound like a demand to me. Not being happy with one's development doesn't sound like entitlement to me either. If I were working my ass off and not getting any better I'd be frustrated too, hell that happens to me in video games. Can only imagine how frustrating it is when it's sports.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I like how people take management on their word, but dismiss Dahlen's word completely. He said he knows he's gotta be great at the AHL level to move onto the next level. And that's what he wants. He just feels he's not being used properly by the coaching staff here to reach that point. Then there's the Agent's word on a trade being a very recent option brought to the table. We gonna blame Dahlen and claim he demanded out just cause Benning jumped at the first prospect they liked for a trade?

Y'all make it seem like you've never disliked a job or something in your life cause you feel it was keeping you stagnant. He feels his looks in Utica was hurting his development more than helping it. That could literally mean anything. Yet all of you are jumping at the "he wants to be in the NHL without working hard for it". He battled hard to pull his team into the SHL, we gonna pretend he was entitled and not hard working then too? 

I am not saying Dahlen and his agent are absolved of any wrong doing, but lets not pretend we know what's going through his head. We have actual statements to go off of, and none of them really tell me Dahlen is entitled. His camp didn't go with a trade demand immediately, as was stated by his agent. Dahlen has been unhappy with his development all season and just recently did the idea of a trade come up, doesn't sound like a demand to me. Not being happy with one's development doesn't sound like entitlement to me either. If I were working my ass off and not getting any better I'd be frustrated too, hell that happens to me in video games. Can only imagine how frustrating it is when it's sports.

If Dahlen’s agent and Jim Benning said he asked to be moved but Dahlen says he didn't I don't see why the anti-GM crowd takes Dahlen’s word for it either. 

It works both ways. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

If Dahlen’s agent and Jim Benning said he asked to be moved but Dahlen says he didn't I don't see why the anti-GM crowd takes Dahlen’s word for it either. 

It works both ways. 

I mean, at that point it's just misinterpretation by one or both parties. The idea of a trade can be brought up, Benning takes it as Dahlen wants out. Dahlen takes it as it just being a suggestion to help fix the situation where management and player aren't seeing eye to eye on his development. There's also the point where maybe Dahlen's agent brought it up and Dahlen was not aware. Discussing the idea of a trade doesn't inherently mean Dahlen was demanding a trade. It wouldn't be the first time there was miscommunication between player and management. Jake thought management wanted him to get bigger once upon a time.

7 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I mean, at that point it's just misinterpretation by one or both parties. The idea of a trade can be brought up, Benning takes it as Dahlen wants out. Dahlen takes it as it just being a suggestion to help fix the situation where management and player aren't seeing eye to eye on his development. There's also the point where maybe Dahlen's agent brought it up and Dahlen was not aware. Discussing the idea of a trade doesn't inherently mean Dahlen was demanding a trade. It wouldn't be the first time there was miscommunication between player and management. Jake thought management wanted him to get bigger once upon a time.

I get that but the Anti-Benning crowd has yet again turned a non issue into their issue to ridicule him for when the reality is both sides decided parting ways was best for all involved. 

Nothing that needs to be brought up as an issue or fault of either side. 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

I get that but the Anti-Benning crowd has yet again turned a non issue into their issue to ridicule him for when the reality is both sides decided parting ways was best for all involved. 

Nothing that needs to be brought up as an issue or fault of either side. 

Fair enough. Anti Benning people will look to blame him for anything. My point was not to take shots at Benning, but to talk about this fan base taking shots at Dahlen for no real reason. He's even taken to leaving social media cause of it. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Fair enough. Anti Benning people will look to blame him for anything. My point was not to take shots at Benning, but to talk about this fan base taking shots at Dahlen for no real reason. He's even taken to leaving social media cause of it. 

I agree with that fans attacking him is completely uncalled for. I've said as much in other threads and posts on that topic.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I agree with that fans attacking him is completely uncalled for. I've said as much in other threads and posts on that topic.

sad and pathetic is more what I was leaning to, over uncalled for

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

sad and pathetic is more what I was leaning to, over uncalled for

Sending hateful messages to any person's private email is disgusting.  I'm sure these people didn't sign their real names. 

Saying that.  I seriously doubt Dahlen reads CDC, so he's a spoiled baby brat, who needs his bottle.  :towel:

Anyone know how Dahlens looked? PPG so far for the Sharks farm team and some fans are saying he looks much better than he did in Utica. If that is true then I do have some concerns about what’s going on in Utica, but he had 7 points in 7 gp before the trade so...

• Upvote 1

February 2019 – Karlsson has been traded from San Jose to Vancouver for Jonathan Dahlén. The 19-year-old has struggled to replicate the offensive dominance that was his calling card in the SuperElit during the 2017-18 campaign. His squad, Karlskrona, features several SHL veteran centres who vie for time ahead of the two-way Karlsson. He’s been finding his way from the middle-six for most of the year. Karlsson boasts high-end intelligence, a great work ethic and a strong release. He’s still growing and filling into his frame, but his maturity – especially on the defensive side of the puck, is impressive. His contract is up at the end of this season, so we may see the 87th overall selection from last June in the AHL to close out 2018-19 or begin 2019-20. Cam Robinson

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1