The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linus Karlsson | C

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

I think he is going to be the next guy signed.  If they get knocked out next game, I expect he signs pretty quickly,

Yup, we might even see him in a game or two this year. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm hoping that we could send him to Abbotsford for the playoffs there.

20 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Yup, we might even see him in a game or two this year. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm hoping that we could send him to Abbotsford for the playoffs there.

I'm not sure if we can sign and play him after TDL.

On 3/24/2022 at 11:57 AM, VancouverHabitant said:

RJ Umberger 

But that was a long long time ago and involved Kesler 

Yes, he wanted the ELC maximum salary and maximum bonus package and got into a public feud with Kesler because he had accepted less than the max on his ELC at the time.  Between his contract demand, and the public feud with Kesler, Burke traded Umberger's rights to the Rangers.

8 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I'm not sure if we can sign and play him after TDL.

8 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'm not 100% clear on the restrictions either. I know that it's been done with college players, but usually wind up burning a year of their ELC.

I could be wrong but I think he can play because he was on the Canucks reserve list at the TDL. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Baggins said:

Yes, he wanted the ELC maximum salary and maximum bonus package and got into a public feud with Kesler because he had accepted less than the max on his ELC at the time.  Between his contract demand, and the public feud with Kesler, Burke traded Umberger's rights to the Rangers.

Did Umberger also have a girlfriend/wife named Kelly that Kesler was cozying up to? You know, Kesler was known for those type of shenanigans.

EDIT: Ah shoot...forgot this was the Linus Karlsson thread.  Hope the Canucks can get the SHL rookie scoring sensation signed ASAP to an ELC before he becomes a UFA.  Otherwise, old furball Alflives will have a twister and fall off his scooter.

Edited by bigbadcanucks

4 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Did Umberger also have a girlfriend/wife named Kelly that Kesler was cozying up to? You know, Kesler was known for those type of shenanigans.

EDIT: Ah shoot...forgot this was the Linus Karlsson thread.  Hope the Canucks can get the SHL rookie scoring sensation signed ASAP to an ELC before he becomes a UFA.  Otherwise, old furball Alflives will have a twister and fall off his scooter.

No. If I recall correctly that was Backes on the Blues he was digging. They played had together the year before for Team USA and didn't like each other at all.

As to Karlsson he's already stated he wants to sign and come over for next season. So I doubt it's going to be much of a problem signing him.

7 hours ago, Baggins said:

No. If I recall correctly that was Backes on the Blues he was digging. They played had together the year before for Team USA and didn't like each other at all.

As to Karlsson he's already stated he wants to sign and come over for next season. So I doubt it's going to be much of a problem signing him.

Yeah, the “tell Kelly I say hi” chirp was directed at Backes and his wife Kelly. Kes was trying to get in Backes’s head, and using some personal information he had at his disposal. It obviously worked. Backes gave an interview several years after the fact and he was still pretty heated about it. He probably still hates Kesler, even today (which merely adds him on a long list of NHL players who hate Kesler’s guts :lol:)

As for Kesler and Umberger, they were teammates and linemates at Ohio State, and apparently got along quite well when they played together in college. Their feud started when both left college to go pro (with the Canucks holding rights on both players).

To hear Kesler tell it, apparently Umberger was jealous of him getting signed first by Vancouver, and then had his ego bruised when the Canucks used the newly minted Kesler contract as a “cap” in their negotiations with Umberger, who felt he deserved more money. Umberger and his agent made some public statements to this effect, which Kesler didn’t appreciate. They also claimed that Kes had accepted a “low ball” offer, which messed up their negotiating position. These public claims weren’t received well by Kesler. And then Kesler responded with his own comments, which further upset Umberger and his camp. By that point, the flame was lit on a feud that would burn the rest of their careers. Seems like an overreaction and pettiness on both sides, to let what was mostly the “business side” of hockey and simple negotiations posturing become the reason for two former teammates to wind up hating each other’s guts for the rest of their lives. :sadno:

As for Karlsson, yeah, don’t expect an issue getting that deal done. Both sides have already stated they intend to get him signed to an ELC this year. I’d expect it’ll happen rather quickly, once Karlsson’s team is eliminated and his 2021-22 SHL season/postseason is finished.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Baggins said:

Hence, the word "also".  The Kesler/Backes confrontation is/was well documented. Guess the speculative "joke" was lost in translation.

And yes, most everyone is aware that Karlsson has expressed an interest in signing with the Canucks, and believe the signing is inevitable.  But try to tell that to some here who fret at every prospect, be it US college/European/Canadian junior who isn't immediately signed.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Hence, the word "also".  The Kesler/Backes confrontation is/was well documented. Guess the speculative "joke" was lost in translation.

And yes, most everyone is aware that Karlsson has expressed an interest in signing with the Canucks, and believe the signing is inevitable.  But try to tell that to some here who fret at every prospect, be it US college/European/Canadian junior who isn't immediately signed.

Many have the patience of a toddler. Often accompanied by the toddler the panic and tantrum traits. :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Has anyone watched him much this season?

I’m wondering if there would be any chance he could charge onto this team out of camp next year.

Like if we had a young, cheap 3C playing sheltered minutes between perhaps Pearson and Hoglander...

I get that he’s probably destined for Abbotsford

1 hour ago, Putgolzin said:

I’m wondering if there would be any chance he could charge onto this team out of camp next year.

Like if we had a young, cheap 3C playing sheltered minutes between perhaps Pearson and Hoglander...

I think there's a chance. Depends on his skating, but he's got the shot, as long as he can keep up with the pace in the NHL. Lots of guys struggle about the 50 game mark, even Pettersson did in his first season. Playing a long schedule in Europe is nothing like a long schedule in the NHL with the amount of travel and much larger and more physical players.

Looking forward to how he fits in.

Edited by VegasCanuck

1 hour ago, Putgolzin said:

If he does make the NHL team next season, I’d expect it’ll be as a winger. He’s barely played any minutes as a centre at high levels and versus men. To step into an NHL 3C role, no matter how sheltered, would probably not be the best way to set him up for success. Just adjusting to the skill and pace of the NHL is a lot to handle. Making a positional shift as a rookie NHLer probably isn’t a good idea.

Not saying it can’t happen. I’d just be really surprised if Karlsson’s first NHL games were played at centre.

If the club wants to develop Karlsson as their future 3C, I think that adjustment period needs to happen in Abbotsford.

• Like 3

On 4/8/2022 at 1:59 PM, Baggins said:

I noticed this on the bottom of your post. “Despite popular misconception, humans do not see a direct representation of external reality, but a translation formed by their eyes and mind. This is not some coffee house philosophical argument, but physiological fact. Human eyes do a good, but far from perfect job at detecting and processing light.” I suggest you read J.J. Gibson, “The Ecological Approach to Visual Perception”. When any statement begins “Despite popular misconception...” it is almost always followed by nonsense - such is the case here. The logical fallacy in this case is that just because something has a method or process that it is not a ‘direct perception’ - think about that for a minute, because that would result in no method of perception being valid. Perception includes the fact that the method itself has an identity, a mechanism.

Any philosophical or psychological premise also must pass a common sense test. Organs of perception are evolved features selected for their survival value. An eagle’s eight power vision grants value in survival. A bat’s sonar provides it with information about the real world that aids it’s survival chances - its survival depends on the accuracy of that information. Biological organisms evolved senses in order to perceive their environment, in order to enhance their chances of survival. If the organs of perception did not provide accurate, beneficial information evolution would have eliminated it. The human perceptual/cognition systems consume a full third of our energy resources - survival does not permit that kind of waste.

4 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I noticed this on the bottom of your post. “Despite popular misconception, humans do not see a direct representation of external reality, but a translation formed by their eyes and mind. This is not some coffee house philosophical argument, but physiological fact. Human eyes do a good, but far from perfect job at detecting and processing light.” I suggest you read J.J. Gibson, “The Ecological Approach to Visual Perception”. When any statement begins “Despite popular misconception...” it is almost always followed by nonsense - such is the case here. The logical fallacy in this case is that just because something has a method or process that it is not a ‘direct perception’ - think about that for a minute, because that would result in no method of perception being valid. Perception includes the fact that the method itself has an identity, a mechanism.

Any philosophical or psychological premise also must pass a common sense test. Organs of perception are evolved features selected for their survival value. An eagle’s eight power vision grants value in survival. A bat’s sonar provides it with information about the real world that aids it’s survival chances - its survival depends on the accuracy of that information. Biological organisms evolved senses in order to perceive their environment, in order to enhance their chances of survival. If the organs of perception did not provide accurate, beneficial information evolution would have eliminated it. The human perceptual/cognition systems consume a full third of our energy resources - survival does not permit that kind of waste.

The proof we don't see a direct represention is in the various forms of optical illusions, We often believe we see something correctly only to find what we believe we saw isn't actually correct.