The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Markstrom now the Elite Goalie he was always projected to be?

*Buzzsaw*

Marktrom now an Elite Goalie?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Does Jacob Markstrom deserve a longterm contract?

• Yes, the Canucks should sign him longterm... at least 5 years
    • No, Markstrom is still just a placeholder while the team develops Demko and Di Pietro... no longterm contract.. max 2 years
    • Sign Markstrom to a mid range contract... 3 years

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/06/2019 at 05:26 AM

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canucks are such great teamates....  they gave Marky so much practise the last few years with all the shots given up each game.....

Yeah hung him out to dry most nights... sound familiar?  Cough cough luongo cough cough..

On 4/8/2019 at 10:44 PM, wai_lai416 said:

lol.. markstrom looked better this year.. but stat wise not really.. he's just not letting in as many bad goals.. he's slightly above average nothing more.. elite? lol

Can we quit with the year average stats? Look from Dec forward and you will see his stats are far better than last year.

On 4/9/2019 at 4:14 PM, wai_lai416 said:

He was great in December he was great in Feb but he was avg in Jan and March as reflected by his gaa at almost 3.0 in both of those months not saying it's his fault but at the end of the day the goalie is viewed by their ability to keep the puck out.

And what was his save percentage in those months.

On 4/12/2019 at 2:21 PM, iceman64 said:

sign him for and play him and demko tandem for 2 yrs and if demko works out then trade mark and move up mikey into a back up and if he gets good as a starter trade him for another Bo 

Well that was easy...

6 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

And what was his save percentage in those months.

.900 and .908? the elites were in the .920+? he had 2 great months .943 and .930 but every other months is .911 and below so 2 out of the 6 months he was elite.. 4 out of 6 months he's avg.. his save percentage is ranked 27th in the league. if you take out goalies with less than 30 starts he's ranked 25th. and if you count starters only he's ranked 20th.. so hardly anywhere close to "ELITE" as some of you want to call him.. i mean he's been good and consistent this year not giving up the early bad goals i give you that and have been keeping his team in it most of the game, but really he's good since december.. i would put him no where near the elites. look around the league.. there's easily 10 to maybe 14 15 goalies you'd take over markstrom.. so does that make half the league have elite goaltending?

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

.900 and .908? the elites were in the .920+? he had 2 great months .943 and .930 but every other months is .911 and below so 2 out of the 6 months he was elite.. 4 out of 6 months he's avg.. his save percentage is ranked 27th in the league. if you take out goalies with less than 30 starts he's ranked 25th. and if you count starters only he's ranked 20th.. so hardly anywhere close to "ELITE" as some of you want to call him.. i mean he's been good and consistent this year not giving up the early bad goals i give you that and have been keeping his team in it most of the game, but really he's good since december.. i would put him no where near the elites. look around the league.. there's easily 10 to maybe 14 15 goalies you'd take over markstrom.. so does that make half the league have elite goaltending?

Are you serious? Of course his numbers aren't elite, not in front of the worst defence in the league.  No one would have elite numbers with our D and team D as a whole. We don't need to score a whole bunch more goals, we need to stop so many against us. Expecting a goalie to bail you out every night after you hang him out to dry is ridiculous. Have a look at how many give aways and shots against us. Our D was nothing short of laughable.

15 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Are you serious? Of course his numbers aren't elite, not in front of the worst defence in the league.  No one would have elite numbers with our D and team D as a whole. We don't need to score a whole bunch more goals, we need to stop so many against us. Expecting a goalie to bail you out every night after you hang him out to dry is ridiculous. Have a look at how many give aways and shots against us. Our D was nothing short of laughable.

what about gibson then? his team is absolute trash even worse than vancouver yet he still finished with a .920% there's a few other goalies on teams finished below us on the standing with higher save %. hell even anders nilson had a .914% while playing for the ottawa and that team is literally an AHL team. the canucks team/goalie was absolute trash in luongo's first year yet he still managed to steal games every single night and dragged us into the playoff.. if you want to call someone elite.. then have numbers to back it up.. don't go oh of coz he won't have elite numbers coz his defense sucks blah blah.. this is what's wrong with the fans here, a goalie had a great couple months all of a sudden he's elite and we need to sign him to a long term deal, or pettersson had a great start and all of a sudden we are saying he's better than mcdavid. 

14 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

what about gibson then? his team is absolute trash even worse than vancouver yet he still finished with a .920% there's a few other goalies on teams finished below us on the standing with higher save %. hell even anders nilson had a .914% while playing for the ottawa and that team is literally an AHL team. the canucks team/goalie was absolute trash in luongo's first year yet he still managed to steal games every single night and dragged us into the playoff.. if you want to call someone elite.. then have numbers to back it up.. don't go oh of coz he won't have elite numbers coz his defense sucks blah blah.. this is what's wrong with the fans here, a goalie had a great couple months all of a sudden he's elite and we need to sign him to a long term deal, or pettersson had a great start and all of a sudden we are saying he's better than mcdavid. 

I think that is a problem with all fan bases tbh :lol:

but you are right.. nothing in the team stats suggests that Marky was facing any more high quality scoring chances than the teams you mentioned, and so the team is no excuse for his "non-elite" SV%

sorry people, but unless you watch every team's games, the eye test means nothing when claiming "well our D sucks so..."

here is a good reference: https://www.naturalstattrick.com/teamtable.php?fromseason=20182019&thruseason=20182019&stype=2&sit=all&score=all&rate=n&team=all&loc=B&gpf=410&fd=&td=

On 4/17/2019 at 3:39 AM, wai_lai416 said:

Blah blah blah. Never said he was ‘elite’. Just agreed with the majority here that he is much better than last year. You can not deny that, you provided the stats see bold above. To my recollection he didn’t do that last year. How about you look at this https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/2018-19-nhl-goalies-stats.html

tell me who is 7th overall for 2018/19 in games played and 12th overall in wins?

Further to the discussion, I watch every game and the ‘eye test’ everyone talks about shows me he has progressed more this year than any before. He has made some amazing saves and let in fewer bad goals. If you don’t like him or don’t agree he’s better, then too bad as he’s probably here for another 2 years while Demko develops.

2 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Further to the discussion, I watch every game and the ‘eye test’ everyone talks about shows me he has progressed more this year than any before. He has made some amazing saves and let in fewer bad goals. If you don’t like him or don’t agree he’s better, then too bad as he’s probably here for another 2 years while Demko develops.

Pretty sure I said I'd agree hes been good/great this year with fewer bad goals. I just don't agree with half the cdc thinking hes all of a sudden in the elite category after couple of great month. If he can keep it for couple more season maybe until then hes a good goalie nothing more

On 4/18/2019 at 7:07 PM, wai_lai416 said:

Pretty sure I said I'd agree hes been good/great this year with fewer bad goals. I just don't agree with half the cdc thinking hes all of a sudden in the elite category after couple of great month. If he can keep it for couple more season maybe until then hes a good goalie nothing more

I think he will have to beat Mike Smith or MA Fleury in a playoff round before any thougths of eliteness should be entertained

On 4/16/2019 at 8:25 PM, iceman64 said:

Yeah hung him out to dry most nights... sound familiar?  Cough cough luongo cough cough..

Not to take anything away from Luongo, but when has Marky had five legit top 4 guys in front of him, elite defensive wingers (Burrows in his prime-my opinion) and a Selke winner on his team when he was the starter?

10 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Not to take anything away from Luongo, but when has Marky had five legit top 4 guys in front of him, elite defensive wingers (Burrows in his prime-my opinion) and a Selke winner on his team when he was the starter?

When have we ever had a D that had any depth at all?  Most of the time when we had a team in front of Lou and someone  went down on injury, well then we sucked "as usual" 

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

When have we ever had a D that had any depth at all? 

Hamhuis

Edler

Salo

Bieksa

Ehrhoff

Hamhuis

Edler

Salo

Bieksa

Tanev (rookie)

Hamhuis

Edler

Salo

Garrison  (when he had an uninjured groan)

Tanev (sophmore)

I never said we had an elite blueline but in comparison to what we have now (even when fully healthy) it sure as **** looks elite.  And again, you're ignoring the strength of the forwards we had up front in terms of their defensive skills. 

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

edit:  AWFUL trade Keith Ballard I excluded for obvious reasons.  Interesting trivia, Jim Benning was the guy responsible pretty much for the excellent scouting work in Buffalo many years ago but guess who drafted Ballard in the 1st round?  Buffalo (during the same period Benning did a lot of the scouting).  Weird connection eh?

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Hamhuis

Edler

Salo

Bieksa

Ehrhoff

Hamhuis

Edler

Salo

Bieksa

Tanev (rookie)

Hamhuis

Edler

Salo

Garrison  (when he had an uninjured groan)

Tanev (sophmore)

I never said we had an elite blueline but in comparison to what we have now (even when fully healthy) it sure as **** looks elite.  And again, you're ignoring the strength of the forwards we had up front in terms of their defensive skills. 

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

edit:  AWFUL trade Keith Ballard I excluded for obvious reasons.  Interesting trivia, Jim Benning was the guy responsible pretty much for the excellent scouting work in Buffalo many years ago but guess who drafted Ballard in the 1st round?  Buffalo (during the same period Benning did a lot of the scouting).  Weird connection eh?

what obvious reasons do you have for leaving off Ballard, Rome, Alberts, Parent?

That is what depth looks like.

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I was mainly talking about the top 4 guys on the team then. 

well we had a top 4 and a top 8

maybe what you meant is we did not have a # 1 or #2

that has almost always been a problem

We almost got Scott Neidermeyer coming out of the 2005 lockout, but management couldn't figure out how to make it work

Archived