The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Markstrom now the Elite Goalie he was always projected to be?

*Buzzsaw*

Marktrom now an Elite Goalie?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Does Jacob Markstrom deserve a longterm contract?

• Yes, the Canucks should sign him longterm... at least 5 years
    • No, Markstrom is still just a placeholder while the team develops Demko and Di Pietro... no longterm contract.. max 2 years
    • Sign Markstrom to a mid range contract... 3 years

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/06/2019 at 05:26 AM

2 hours ago, Grape said:

Our goalies before Markstrom have generally been able to steal games. Lu and Schneider both consistently had games where the opposing team outperformed us but they'd squeak out a 1-0 or 2-1 win for us. Miller had the ability too and Lack had a stretch where he did it consistently.

Markstrom seems like he's been quite consistently average to below average until recently. He doesn't really steal games (just look at how many shutouts he has), but he's generally gonna give up 2 to 3/4 goals a game. In fact, there was a long stretch last year and even this year, where we felt that every game, Markstrom was going to give up a bad goal per game, and then play average for the rest of the game.

He needs to keep up his play recently for a long time, if he wants a long term contract. Given that by the looks of our offense and defense, we might need him to steal a few more games.

Elite goalies don't go on ten game losing streaks

For how many seasons was Dan Cloutier our goalie coach with Markstrom? I feel like Marky has taken off ever since Cloutier’s coaching position changed and I think more playing time has been good for him instead of splitting starts with Nilsson 60/40 or 70/30. Also factor in that he’s never played behind a good defense here but he was still letting bad goals in previous years. This year could’ve been a lucky year for him who knows. Either way I hope we find out who our guy is next season. 

Markstrom has had a good to great half season. More evidence needed before he is deemed an elite goalie. 

For me he has moved from expendable to keeper but still has to prove his status as "elite" through his future play. Let's see if this year was a blip or the start of something great. 

Hope it's the latter.

2 hours ago, Fateless said:

Markstrom's GAA is currently 0.04 worse than last year and his SV% is only 0.001 better than last year. We all agree that Markstrom has LOOKED better this year, but statistically he hasn't really improved. I think Markstrom has done well at making "big saves" this year which has granted him some leeway with the eye test, but he's still letting in as many goals as he always have. Markstrom is what he is at this point and I'd rather we focus on developing our goaltender of the future in Demko and DiPietro rather than risk slowing their development to give the crease to a goalie who hasn't really improved much over the last couple of years.

His first 2 months were awful, December hit and that is when he was coming into his own. December to early Feb he was in top 5 for numbers. If you recall the sports casters were gushing over his numbers in that time

Elite can only occur once a goalie proves himself to be such - which requires a far larger sample size.

He's been generally solid for us this season and if that continues, I will accept that he has become a "good" goalie.  To be elite, he's gonna have to put up .92 minimum if not .93 or higher through a couple of seasons for me to consider him truly high end.

5 hours ago, BCNate said:

No he is not elite.  He is a very good goalie.  I would put him in the 20-25 range in terms of starting goalies, maybe as high as 15.  Very good, not Elite.

Actually apparently according to advanced stats markstrom is the 5th best goaltender this season including October and November when he wasn’t that good.  He is 9th best in high quality chance save percentage and has faced way more high quality chances than any of the goaltenders in front of him showing his stamina.  I’d like to see more years like this out of him but he is easily in the top half of starting goaltenders this year.

Hes having a good year. To be a good goalie he must be consistent for a few years to be elite he has to be out standing for a few years. 

As of Right now he’s had 1 good season. Lots of goalies and players have had 1 good or great year but can never duplicate it. There was a goalie Casey I think was his name won the vezina one year and was in the minors by the end of the next season. 

1 hour ago, beni said:

Lets just see how things go next season. 

Is there any way to circumvent the expansion draft with how long he gets signed for?

The Seattle expansion draft is one of the questions which relates to any decision on Markstrom's future with the team.

Can only protect one goaltender... so the potential for the Canucks to get burned big time is there if Demko is showing well.

2021 is just about when Demko, (or even potentially Di Pietro) is starting to show their skill level.

If the team is in a longterm contract with Markstrom that complicates things... unless he is completely underperforming, in which case the Canucks could expose him.

The team also has to consider the fact he might just test the open market... he is a UFA.

So do they re-sign him early... and maybe pay too much?  Or do they look at a trade... even though Demko may not be ready?

Its a big can of worms.

3 hours ago, Tracksuit said:

Hes having a good year. To be a good goalie he must be consistent for a few years to be elite he has to be out standing for a few years. 

As of Right now he’s had 1 good season. Lots of goalies and players have had 1 good or great year but can never duplicate it. There was a goalie Casey I think was his name won the vezina one year and was in the minors by the end of the next season. 

Jim Carey the Net Detective.

Jon Casey was another goalie with a (somewhat) short window of goodness to greatness (got Minnesota to the Stanley Cup Final and ran into Mario).  He's the guy in the most famous clip of Mario scoring on the North Stars goalie.  But he was a pretty consistent and solid goalie for around six years or so, three of them featurig *some* Vezina / All Star talk.

11 hours ago, Cup2022 said:

Elite goalies don't go on ten game losing streaks

They do on bad teams. Gibson is arguably the best goaltender in the league and look how that's turned out. Mediocre goaltenders like Hellebyuck and Rittich are propped up by good teams.

I don't think Marky is close to elite, but goaltending stats are primarily team stats

A lot of people are really undercutting him. There's two reasons why this team is anywhere close to where it is in the standings now that the Sedins are gone. Pettersson and Markstrom. Honorable nod to Bo for his first half of the season (not his second half). The rest of the team isn't as good as we make them out to be. 

Markstrom has had about half a seasons worth of a Vezina performance. No goalie in the league is going to post great numbers with this squad. Not one. So for people to compare GAA and s% with goalies who are on good teams is ridiculous. There's reasons why guys like Crawford were never considered elite. Mediocre goalie on great teams. Cam Talbot was elite two years ago and should have been considered for the Vezina. He literally pushed them into the playoffs. Only had a 0.919%. Without the first few months, Markstrom would probably have a 924 or something around there. 

Will he keep it up? Who knows. But he's dialed in and as a goalie you can see what makes him dialed in. His focus is on top of his game, he's moving lots to see through screens, he's constantly analyzing the play and as he's showing he's ahead of the play. He's making a lot of saves he has no business making. His rebound control has been great. 

Demko is not ready yet. He's still a couple seasons away from even competing for the starting position. He's not reading the plays, he's not technically solid (though much improved from a couple years ago) but he does have enough battle. Our expectations are far too high for this kid thus far, and I think anybody who does goaltending can see that. He plays a great junior game because he's very agile and he competes, but at the nhl level you have to be technically solid. The shooters are too good. 

That being said we need to extend Markstrom, keep him on a decent mid-level contract and hope he keeps it up. 

Marky has been the Canucks MVP this season.  No question.

Under the coaching of Ian Clark, he has developed into a top 10 goalie in the league and his stats bear this out.  Teams cry for goal tending like Marky brings and many good teams are still lacking this kind of goal tending and it prevents them from getting anywhere in the playoffs.  Sticking with Markstrom has been very smart of Benning.  Early on, when the Comets went to the Calder Cup final in 2014-15, he could see that Markstrom had the battle level required for success.  

Solid goal tending must be considered one of Bennings greatest achievements as Canuck GM. 

Demko and DiPietro are very much developing players and both need time.  It is not a sure thing that either will ever become as good as Markstrom is right now.  It is foolish to make assumptions like this.  Sign Marky for 5.

17 hours ago, HKSR said:

Offer him a "prove you can do it again" contract for a few years so he and Demko can battle it out.  He looks great, but one season doesn't make an elite goalie.  

I think he will want to just playout his final year next season then get into it.  If demko looks ready I'd give him a run of games next season. If your confident flip Markstrom.

Archived