The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JB has thrown away far too many assets - needs to be replaced as GM

Rate this topic

Generational.EP40

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

The Oilers are simply an example of tanking failing miserably. We're the worst team over fours and on our way up. The Oilers are the worst team of the past decade despite several first overall picks. I don't want to be the Oilers. I want to see additions/improvements to the team every year.

I'd say with the addition of Pearson, Hughes, Miller, and Myers we've taken a huge step forward over last years starting line-up. Plus there will be more additions to the Utica rosters for call-ups. 

Athletes don't wanna play in Edmonton, have you been there before ?

There's absolutely nothing to do there, the young kids start partying and culture of the team changes, that's exactly why they shipped out Hall and Eberle, 

Organization wanted to no part of there lifestyle and that's why there were shipped out right before McDavid got there

3 minutes ago, klw604 said:

There's absolutely nothing to do there, the young kids start partying and culture of the team changes, that's exactly why they shipped out Hall and Eberle, 

Organization wanted to no part of there lifestyle and that's why there were shipped out right before McDavid got there

I've been to Edmonton several times. Plenty to do other than partying if you're inclined. Plenty of party spots here if you're inclined. Give a kid a million dollars and they'll do as they're inclined regardless of location. Maturity and drive are different from kid to kid.

2 minutes ago, klw604 said:

There's certainly no partying in other major cities with sports teams though. All those athletes in LA, NY, Dallas, etc. all just go home after practice and games and go to bed early right?

I live in the Edmonton region and there is plenty to do here.

2 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

There's certainly no partying in other major cities with sports teams though. All those athletes in LA, NY, Dallas, etc. all just go home after practice and games and go to bed early right?

Ask Chris Pronger...

Even Trouba didn't wanna play in Winnipeg,

Panarin signed in NY, athletes wanna play in big cities, unless you grew up in a small town your not gonna wanna live there

• Upvote 1

Just now, RonMexico said:

I think the Oilers drafted guys, prior to Draisatl, that had poor character.  They were young, and had a lot of money.  They partied.  They were paid like the leaders, but behaved poorly.  Older guys, getting paid a lot less, were definitely frustrated watching these young guys eat up big dollars, and be lazy defensively.  

Saying that though, there is not much for Edmonton to offer for wealthy people, and their families, to do.  I think Winnipeg and 

Edmonton are definitely at a disadvantage attracting top UFA players.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Unless Benning & scouts suddenly forgot how to draft, I assume that this team would have more good prospects if they had a few more 1st, 2nd, 3rd round picks.  Kinda stupid to argue that Benning is great at drafting, then saying we'd suck at drafting with extra picks.   At least some of those prospects would have turned out.... riiight about now.  If we had a couple of prospects make our bottom 6 instead of the overpaid vets, we could have added another big piece that we don't have caproom for.  

First, I'd love to know what assets we had to move to garner all these additional 1sts (and even then, likely late 1sts which are worth much closer to early 2nds in value). Short of Tanev (I'll grant you that one and have been banging that drum for years), we didn't have them.

Second, another, Lockwood, Brisebois etc or two (as good of stories as they are thus far) from a few extra mid-picks, are not the difference between what your lot seems to think of as a 'horribly failed Dim Jim trading all the picks rebuild' and a 'super awesome tanking rebuild of win'.

Third, it also discounts the value of having even mediocre and crappy vets place-holding and sheltering the likes of Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen, Pettersson, Stecher and now Hughes on the NHL roster with so that they may ease in to the league without being over their heads and getting buried and from the vitriol of the media/fan base for not meeting their over the top expectations (see: EDM). I'd far rather see all of you spitting venom at the likes of Gagner and MDZ than Pettersson and Stecher. I'm going to take a wild guess that so did Benning ;)

Edited by aGENT

8 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Benning has just been spinning his wheels rebuilding a team that had an empty prospect cupboard and aging veterans for 5 years. 

FIFY.   You simply forgot to add one sentence.

Now that the cupboard is fuller and the first fruits of those efforts have emerged, and some are close to emerging, it is a great time to make some moves to augment the climb towards serious contention again.     

You are welcome!    :)

13 minutes ago, klw604 said:

Ask Chris Pronger...

Even Trouba didn't wanna play in Winnipeg,

Panarin signed in NY, athletes wanna play in big cities, unless you grew up in a small town your not gonna wanna live there

Confirmation bias proves nothing. You say ask Chris Pronger, well I say ask Gretzky, Kurri, Messier, Coffey, etc etc who all seemed to really enjoy playing in Edmonton.

And you missed my point entirely anyways. Point being, young men party hard no matter where they live. Even more if you live in LA or NY or any other major city.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

First, I'd love to know what assets we had to move to garner all these additional 1sts (and even then, likely late 1sts which are worth much closer to early 2nds in value). We didn't have them.

Second, another, Lockwood, Brisebois etc or two (as good of stories as they are thus far) from a few extra mid-picks, are not the difference between what your lot seems to think of as a 'horribly failed Dim Jim trading all the picks rebuild' and a 'super awesome tanking rebuild of win'.

Third, it also discounts the value of having even mediocre and crappy vets place-holding and sheltering the likes of Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen, Pettersson, Stecher and now Hughes on the NHL roster with so that they may ease in to the league without being over their heads and getting buried and from the vitriol of the media/fan base for not meeting their over the top expectations (see: EDM). I'd far rather see all of you spitting venom at the likes of Gagner and MDZ than Pettersson and Stecher. I'm going to take a wild guess that so did Benning ;)

Your third point is so missed by so many.   Bridge veterans are essential.   There were some moves made with the "Sedin maintenance plan" but after Linden was gone, those moves have stopped.

• Cheers 1

Where did gret

1 minute ago, RonMexico said:

Confirmation bias proves nothing. You say ask Chris Pronger, well I say ask Gretzky, Kurri, Messier, Coffey, etc etc who all seemed to really enjoy playing in Edmonton.

And you missed my point entirely anyways. Point being, young men party hard no matter where they live. Even more if you live in LA or NY or any other major city.

Gretzky ended up in LA

Messier ended up in NY

9 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Unless Benning & scouts suddenly forgot how to draft, I assume that this team would have more good prospects if they had a few more 1st, 2nd, 3rd round picks.  Kinda stupid to argue that Benning is great at drafting, then saying we'd suck at drafting with extra picks.   At least some of those prospects would have turned out.... riiight about now.  If we had a couple of prospects make our bottom 6 instead of the overpaid vets, we could have added another big piece that we don't have caproom for.  

While that is no question true (more picks = more prospects), two other things you seem to forget are:

1. You can also TRADE for prospects/young players
  2. You trade for players who were picks (often high....Benning has a penchant for going after former first rounders if you pay attention)

Your alternative universe ignores these two items.   Further, there is LOTS of CAP room by simply making some moves inclusive of burying players in the AHL which he has shown he will do.   If you think that it is better to have a two to four year development curve for players versus acquiring someone that is through that and a known quantity, e.g. Motte, then you would manage differently than every other team in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

What's your point ?

They were drafted to Deadmonton, no one resigns in deadmonton,

Small town kids don't mind playing in Edmonton, put a big town kid there and he's gonna wanna leave when he can, 

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

While that is no question true (more picks = more prospects), two other things you seem to forget are:

1. You can also TRADE for prospects/young players
  2. You trade for players who were picks (often high....Benning has a penchant for going after former first rounders if you pay attention)

Your alternative universe ignores these two items.   Further, there is LOTS of CAP room by simply making some moves inclusive of burying players in the AHL which he has shown he will do.   If you think that it is better to have a two to four year development curve for players versus acquiring someone that is through that and a known quantity, e.g. Motte, then you would manage differently than every other team in the NHL.

Sounds like...

Goldolbin 

Poluiot

Delzotto

Etem

All former first rounders

7 minutes ago, klw604 said:

What's your point ?

Small town kids don't mind playing in Edmonton, put a big town kid there and he's gonna wanna leave when he can, 

whats your definition of small town?

10 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Great. Let's compare our selves to oilers then. How far back do you wanna go.

They have 5 Cups. We have zero..

Oilers have been horrible past 7 to 10 years. That's why they've gone thru 5 GMs in past 7 years.

If things don't change with Canucks it's hard to see how JB isn't gone next summer.. 

He's done well at the draft last couple of years. My concern with him has been his abilities as a roster builder.  Dave Nonis was a terrible roster builder. Gillis was a great roster builder but terrible at drafting.. 

This year unless JB does well and makes playoffs I don't think Aqua brings him back. 

Neither Nonis nor Gillis had the awful starting point Benning had. Both actually started with some pretty good young players and players in their prime plus at least something on the farm.

You don't think adding Hughes, Miller and Myers improve the team further next season? Ten of course there's a full season of Pearson and Lievo. I see plenty to be optimistic about next season. Then of course there will be additions to the farm team as well with drafted players coming of age.

1 minute ago, klw604 said:

Sounds like...

Goldolbin 

Poluiot

Delzotto

Etem

All former first rounders

And many more....

JT Miller

Luke Schenn

Tanner Pearson

Baer

Brandon Sutter

Tyler Myers

Skille

Burmistrov

Vanek......

10 minutes ago, klw604 said:

What's your point ?

Yeah 10 years in a city during a time when no one signed more than like 3 year deals. I doubt you were even alive and watched hockey then anyways. Messier sure hated playing in his HOME TOWN too. He hated it so much he stayed for 12 years. But according to you he must have signed a 12 year deal in 1979 and was begging to be traded out of it.

9 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Yeah 10 years in a city during a time when no one signed more than like 3 year deals. I doubt you were even alive and watched hockey then anyways. Messier sure hated playing in his HOME TOWN too. He hated it so much he stayed for 12 years. But according to you he must have signed a 12 year deal in 1979 and was begging to be traded out of it.

Lol dude your talking about 40 years ago

Just give it up , times have changed and so has people, 

Just facts here