The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JB has thrown away far too many assets - needs to be replaced as GM

Rate this topic

Generational.EP40

7 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Edmonton, Calgary and SJ did nothing in free agency except for some minor signings. It's never safe to assume any team repeats their previous season's success.

So much trivialization of what the Canucks do.

I agree. SJ lost Pavelski, Nyqvist and Donskoi (ouch)  Why is no one talking about how Doug Willson is turning his team into a bottom feeder. Big whoop, they re-signed Karlsson. His best days are behind him. Where are the goals going to come from? lol

EDM, ANA and LA are all goig to be pretty bad again. ARI has a better team, and they did bring in Kessel, but he's probably goig to relax in the desert, because no one cares. They also lost Galchenyuk and Panik. Luckily, VGK have great goaltending, so they'll still be a threat. CGY still has a good team, and I expect the to win the division. Canuckw ill make the playoffs this year.  They improved the most in the Pacific.

30 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Edmonton, Calgary and SJ did nothing in free agency except for some minor signings. It's never safe to assume any team repeats their previous season's success.

So much trivialization of what the Canucks do.

So why is it a guarantee that the Canucks players will score more than they did last year, play as good, will Markstrom have another personal best, will the team have less than league average in injuries?

Last season the team came out of the blocks on fire, this year Roussel will be starting on LTIR, Boeser isn't signed yet and might take a while or could be over paid or nothing will happen and he will sign a 5 year 6.5 mil deal, but if he doesn't show up then where is the scoring.

I am not trying to be doom and gloom but total unfounded belief that the team has made huge improvements that make them better than 18 other teams and all on the backs of "sheltered" young players in Boeser, Horvat, Pettersson and the new guy Miller, counting on Hughes to get 50+ points does seem possibly overly optimistic. Just have to wait until the odds makers put out their numbers.

If this team was to win 7 more games they would only be a .500 team, they would have to score an additional 25 goals to be an average scoring team. A .500 win percentage team is around the 17th spot. Colorado was just under being a .500 win percentage team last year. 

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy

This is one reason why the Canucks will be better:

2018/19

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Stecher

Del Zotto - Gudbranson

Pouliot

Biega

2019/20

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Benn - Stecher

Fantenberg

Juolevi

This is another reason:

J.T. Miller added to the top 6

I don't know how anyone can say the team is the same or worse.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

So why is it a guarantee that the Canucks players will score more than they did last year, play as good, will Markstrom have another personal best, will the team have less than league average in injuries?

Last season the team came out of the blocks on fire, this year Roussel will be starting on LTIR, Boeser isn't signed yet and might take a while or could be over paid or nothing will happen and he will sign a 5 year 6.5 mil deal, but if he doesn't show up then where is the scoring.

I am not trying to be doom and gloom but total unfounded belief that the team has made huge improvements that make them better than 18 other teams and all on the backs of "sheltered" young players in Boeser, Horvat, Pettersson and the new guy Miller, counting on Hughes to get 50+ points.

If this team was to win 7 more games they would only be a .500 team, they would have to score an additional 25 goals to be an average scoring team. A .500 win percentage team is around the 17th spot. Colorado was just under being a .500 win percentage team last year. 

There's no guarantees, that's why they play the games. We could just as easily regress this year, and with league parity so could 3 or 4 teams that people think are locks for the post season right now. If Pettersson and other core players stay healthy, Markstrom continues to flourish under Clark and this years acquisitions bring similar historical production to the group then I think it's safe to say that the team will be in the hunt for a playoff spot come spring. I don't think anyone is guaranteeing more than that. 

29 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

I am not trying to be doom and gloom but total unfounded belief that the team has made huge improvements that make them better than 18 other teams and all on the backs of "sheltered" young players in Boeser, Horvat, Pettersson and the new guy Miller, counting on Hughes to get 50+ points does seem possibly overly optimistic. Just have to wait until the odds makers put out their numbers.

You are right it's no guarantee. But when you are near the bottom, there is more room to improve than say a team like SJ who lost some significant assets yet still has an expectation to compete.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

sheltered  lol  u saying Horvat was sheltered  what a crock  same thing with petterson and boesser they were not sheltered  your so full of doom and gloom lmao  then explain how the canucks last year  survived the season after losing 2 of the top 3 point producers from the previous year?     2/3 of the top line gone  yet the canucks pretty much did a lil better than the previous year ,  so jb addressed the defense so that should improve , hughes will create offense , jt miller  Horvat petterson   pearson  and maybe virt will finally get it  will score   , boesser will be sign     so don't worry  mr doom and gloom    the canucks will be ok       a

what is it with you and pointing out injuries all the time anyways   hockey injuries happen, I don't why you think  the general manger can prevent or predict  injuries ,  all teams are effected by injuries ,

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

5 teams at best

LA and Anaheim for sure but who else? Chicago got their rest last year, made trades that made them better and still have Kane and Toews.

Detroit maybe

New Jersey will leave the Canucks in their wake, big improvement and Hall comes back.

New York Rangers are almost finished their rebuild and ahead in youth and talent.

No, there will be another top 5 pick for the Canucks next season

The team just doesn't have the depth of talent to withstand 2 injuries let alone 3 or 4 which is standard fare for NHL teams.

IF Boeser holds out like Nylander or gets traded to his home state this team is not playoff bound, IF Horvat suffers a hurt, IF Pettersson gets damaged.

The only system this team could play would be a lock down defensive system and hope Markstrom doesn't get hurt.

The Canucks just didn't add enough to surpass any teams, other teams improved too and more. For all the Canucks finished the highest in 4 years other teams they still were only 5 points out of 27th in the league, for all the hype and youth being leaned on to win. Just 4 OTL points out of 26th.

You should change your name to: ItTakesAPessimist.

Every year it's the same thing: other teams have improved more than us. Each year some teams surprise by how well they do and others surprise by being far worse than expected. Last year we were predicted to be very bottom of the barrel. How'd that work out? 

The year before the Oilers were 5 points out of 27th and this year 5 points out of 28th. What does that have to do with where you actually finish because we can play that game with any team. Vegas was only 4 points away from missing the playoffs. They should rebuild! Fun game.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

5 teams at best

LA and Anaheim for sure but who else? Chicago got their rest last year, made trades that made them better and still have Kane and Toews.

Detroit maybe

New Jersey will leave the Canucks in their wake, big improvement and Hall comes back.

New York Rangers are almost finished their rebuild and ahead in youth and talent.

The team just doesn't have the depth of talent to withstand 2 injuries let alone 3 or 4 which is standard fare for NHL teams.

IF Boeser holds out like Nylander or gets traded to his home state this team is not playoff bound, IF Horvat suffers a hurt, IF Pettersson gets damaged.

The only system this team could play would be a lock down defensive system and hope Markstrom doesn't get hurt.

The Canucks just didn't add enough to surpass any teams, other teams improved too and more. For all the Canucks finished the highest in 4 years other teams they still were only 5 points out of 27th in the league, for all the hype and youth being leaned on to win. Just 4 OTL points out of 26th.

You can wallow in your pessimism all you wish.    When they were leading their Division for seven straight years I suspect life was very hard for you.   

Your doomsday scenarios and constant whining are both entertaining but isn't it hard to be so relentlessly negative particularly in the face of so much evidence otherwise?   Did your Mom increase the rent again?   

Hang in there.   Something horrible happened somewhere in the world today for you to revel in.   

Cheers (I guess, never sure with negative people if they want that....?).   :)

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

5 teams at best

Detroit maybe

It's always so  hard to judge in the off season as it will take a couple months of the season to figure out (for both fans and management). Did you think St. Louis was a contender last summer? I don't think anyone did. I don't think until Bennington come along the players didn't think so either.

8 hours ago, gurn said:

This part is so true, so many posters completely overlook this aspect of growing players into pros.

Lol people overlook it because it’s the only thing you guys have to defend Benning. If you don’t hang on to this false narrative then what we are saying about Benning pissing away assets for hacks is true.

the entire defence is based on we needed these hacks to fill the cupboards and shelter our kids. Uh no we didn’t....

Edited by Tomatoes11
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Lol people overlook it because it’s the only thing you guys have to defend Benning. If you don’t hang in to this false belief then what we are saying about Benning pissing away  assets for hacks is true.

the entire defence is based on we needed these hacks to fill the cupboards and shelter our kids. Uh no we don’t...

I agree with you that we wasted picks (seconds were the ones most concerning to me) on filling holes, when just signing UFAs would have worked.  But JB’s (IMO, ill conceived) method not only worked, but worked great.  He built a fabulous young core, while still filling our prospect cupboard with really good players.  The next decade looks to be the best in our team’s history.  

Just because one disagrees with the method, shouldn’t preclude from giving credit if the results are excellent.  One may not agree with how i make a cake, but if the cake tastes great than most would say thanks, that’s a really good cake.  

Its time to throw off our old ideas on what’s the best way to make a cake, and compliment JB on cooking us a really good one, don’t you think?  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Baggins said:

Who said we'd suck at drafting with extra picks? Nobody that I'm aware of. You love putting words in others mouths. My argument is picks don't come with any more guarantee than trading for prospects. You didn't answer my question: How many Leaf added picks are making an NHL impact after five years? You did keep pointing to the Leafs doing it right by adding picks back then. So tell us great those added picks have been.

Cool how many prospect we traded for are gonna help this team win a cup. 

Same number as late draft picks that are helping the Leafs.

I don't get why you obsess about the Leafs drafting.  As if their bad drafting somehow means that building through the draft isn't the best option.  The Leafs have sucked at drafting past the 1st round.  The Canucks have sucked at acquiring impact prospects.  It doesn't mean either team should stop drafting or acquiring young talent.  

The Leafs DID do it right by adding those picks.  Step 1 accomplished.  Did they go on to draft & develop well?  Obviously not.  What's your point?  The Leafs didn't do it well, so we should ignore that the same strategy worked for the most successful cap era teams?  You focus on a fraction of an argument, and frame it out of context as if it had any bearing on what we're actually talking about.  Once again, you have no point Baggins.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, aGENT said:

First, I'd love to know what assets we had to move to garner all these additional 1sts (and even then, likely late 1sts which are worth much closer to early 2nds in value). Short of Tanev (I'll grant you that one and have been banging that drum for years), we didn't have them.

The team was a couple years removed from back to back president's trophies and went on to have a great regular season when Benning was hired.  Decent vets on expiring contracts (our team was full of them, Horvat and a bunch of old dudes for the most part) are worth a lot at the trade deadline.  We'll never know what they could have returned because for the first few years the Canucks were trying to win, not trade vets for picks.

Let's look at what Benning & Co have drafted with the late 1sts, 2nd & 3rd round picks that you seem to undervalue.

• Boeser
  • McCann
  • Demko
  • Tryamkin
  • Shinkaruk
  • Hoglander
  • Woo
  • Madden
  • Lind
  • Gadjovich
  • DiPietro
  • Lockwood
  • Brisebois
  • Cassels

Its seems that 99.9% of CDC points to these guys (mostly 2nd & 3rd round picks) as part of the reason to be optimistic for the future.  How is it a worst thing if we had 8 more of guys like this. 

Third, it also discounts the value of having even mediocre and crappy vets place-holding and sheltering the likes of Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen, Pettersson, Stecher and now Hughes on the NHL roster with so that they may ease in to the league without being over their heads and getting buried and from the vitriol of the media/fan base for not meeting their over the top expectations (see: EDM). I'd far rather see all of you spitting venom at the likes of Gagner and MDZ than Pettersson and Stecher. I'm going to take a wild guess that so did Benning ;)

Yeah vets can be signed, especially when you're rebuilding and should have a ton of cap room.  There is 0 excuse for trading picks while rebuilding for "placeholders".  ;)

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

While that is no question true (more picks = more prospects), two other things you seem to forget are:

1. You can also TRADE for prospects/young players
  2. You trade for players who were picks (often high....Benning has a penchant for going after former first rounders if you pay attention)

You seem to forget 3 things.

1. I cheered when Benning traded Hansen & Burrows for legit prospects

2. That was the only time there was reason to cheer about trading for prospects

3. If you're trading a pick for a prospect, you're not gaining a prospect.  You're moving sideways in prospect count

12 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

My alternative universe ignores these three items. 

The Penguins signing bottom six fwd Tanev long term mirrors what Benning did last year with Beagle, Roussel.  Makes it look like Benning is actually ahead of the game. 

All these years, Benning's been trying things, team getting better, exciting young core and the decision not to trade out players like Horvat, Edler, Tanev, Markstrom