The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JB has thrown away far too many assets - needs to be replaced as GM

Rate this topic

Generational.EP40

26 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

That being said, JB needs to improve player development cause right now, we have more talent coming through other places like NCAA than our own farm team.

Agreed!! This should be one of the most important tasks as it's a huge weakness at the moment. Our draft won't matter if we can't develop them

1 hour ago, nowhereman said:

We don't have an identity because the core of this team is built around a 20 year old franchise center, a 19 year old first-pairing defenseman, a 21 year old first line winger and a 24 year old 1b/2a center. If the core is still growing, as is to be expected in a rebuild, why are people complaining about an identity? Patience.

People do a lot of complaining about Jim's signings/trades, without taking even a few seconds to wander over to literally any NHL cap website and actually look at the way the contracts affect the Canucks. Within two years, by the time Pettersson and Hughes' contracts are up, Schaller, Tanev, Sutter, Baertschi and Pearson's contracts will be off the books. That frees up almost $15 million. The year after that, LE's anchor goes away, freeing up an additional $6 million in cap. By then, the cap is also likely to go up. Then, look to Podkolzin to start playing and making a difference, even while he's still on his ELC. Follow that with guys like Gaudette, Madden, Woo, Hoglander, etc. who will be contributing on cheap/ELC contracts.

People need to quit with the fire-and-brimstone act. It's getting really old

Patience?...CDC?? :P

Agree totally... and on top of losing LE's contract (if that hasn't already gone by then), the Luongo hit also goes in three year...

This team is growing and the future is rosy, no matter how hard the negative parts of this fan base tries to look at it...

From late last season to now Benning has done a good job upgrading the team:

Miller replaces Granlund
Hughes replaces Hutton
Myers replaces Gudbranson
Benn replaces Pouliot
Pearson replaces Gagner/Spooner 

The sum of these moves is pretty significant. We got more offence, more skill, and come out as a tougher/more physical as well. Hughes is a massive boost to our offence, and JT Miller could also be a major difference maker up front. Myers actually has some offensive ability (unlike Gudbranson) and Benn is a clear upgrade on Pouliot. 

If Pearson plays anything like he did at the end of the season it looks like we have found a great linemate for Horvat. 

Now if we could move out Eriksson for 50% retained, trade Schaller, and maybe pick-up Ferland this team looks really solid. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, nowhereman said:

We don't have an identity because the core of this team is built around a 20 year old franchise center, a 19 year old first-pairing defenseman, a 21 year old first line winger and a 24 year old 1b/2a center. If the core is still growing, as is to be expected in a rebuild, why are people complaining about an identity? Patience.

Great point. I honestly feel this is just a regurgitation of the talking heads on TSN trade center yesterday morning. McGuire, Poulin, Ferraro and the "O-dog" can't figure out what the Canucks are doing- that feels more like a vote of confidence than a cause for alarm to me. 

Edited by hlinkas wrister
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

From late last season to now Benning has done a good job upgrading the team:

Miller replaces Granlund
Hughes replaces Hutton
Myers replaces Gudbranson
Benn replaces Pouliot
Pearson replaces Gagner/Spooner 

The sum of these moves is pretty significant. We got more offence, more skill, and come out as a tougher/more physical as well. Hughes is a massive boost to our offence, and JT Miller could also be a major difference maker up front. Myers actually has some offensive ability (unlike Gudbranson) and Benn is a clear upgrade on Pouliot. 

If Pearson plays anything like he did at the end of the season it looks like we have found a great linemate for Horvat. 

Now if we could move out Eriksson for 50% retained, trade Schaller, and maybe pick-up Ferland this team looks really solid. 

Solid? F_uck if we picked up MF we'd be way past solid sir..

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Let's extract this part, because it's unproven:

"than what we could have picked up through free agency, without the loss of valuable rebuilding assets"

We don't know who we could have "picked up" because you don't just "pick".  These are negotiations and players get to decide where they want to go and why.  

Not sure what’s up with the Necro bump but you went off and a very long tangent that had zero relevance to my point and the funniest part is your opinion was so easily debunk that I didn’t even know if it dignifies a response. 

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Great point. I honestly feel this is just a regurgitation of the talking heads on TSN trade center yesterday morning. McGuire, Poulin, Ferraro and the "O-dog" can't figure out what the Canucks are doing- that feels like more like a vote of confidence than a cause for alarm to me. 

How people take those clowns seriously is beyond me... 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kacholu said:

Agreed!! This should be one of the most important tasks as it's a huge weakness at the moment. Our draft won't matter if we can't develop them

man whats wrong with you? Who the F cares where quality players come from if they help better the team!

• Cheers 2

On 3/16/2019 at 1:43 PM, Generational.EP40 said:

Well a good start would be a GM who can go into a trade without the opposing GM knowing he has the upper hand on. Someone not inexperienced like JB because he’s underwhelming in the trade department which everyone knows.

It

2 hours ago, kacholu said:

man whats wrong with you? Who the F cares where quality players come from if they help better the team!

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

How people take those clowns seriously is beyond me... 

Their Toronto audience likes those guys bashing anything Vancouver.  The rest of Canada is jealous of our city, and climate.  Those goods on TSN make their money selling crap about us.  It’s sad actually.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Their Toronto audience likes those guys bashing anything Vancouver.  The rest of Canada is jealous of our city, and climate.  Those goofs  on TSN make their money selling crap about us.  It’s sad actually.  

FIFY

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Solid? F_uck if we picked up MF we'd be way past solid sir..

He's the one major pick up I've wanted on this team. It was rumored that Vancouver was a place he was considering after Carolina got eliminated by I think Elliot Friedman among I think like 5 other teams but that'd be huge for this team. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Their Toronto audience likes those guys bashing anything Vancouver.  The rest of Canada is jealous of our city, and climate.  Those goods on TSN make their money selling crap about us.  It’s sad actually.  

Yeah i had the displeasure of living in toronto for a year... it was horrible! Lots of cold, rude, arrogant people who are in overdrive mode... 

"Some" nice folks but only a few... 

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

NEWS FLASH!!!

This just in, CDC has far too many trolls and needs to be replaced!

People who disagree with you aren't trolls, they just have a different opinion. Shocking, I know, that you can be disagreed with, but it is possible.

• Upvote 3

Just now, spur1 said:

Lol ... I have been really surprised the trolls have not been in here saying JB is a lousy GM because he lost  Granlund,Hutton and Pouliot for nothing. 

Did you notice TSN had Hutton ranked as a top 15 UFA?  They thought the Leafs might sign Hutton, and wanted to be able to say how great the Leafs did getting the 15th ranked UFA and for cheap.  These guys lose their cushy jobs if they don’t do the Leaf’s bidding by bending over and letting ShanaDubass reach in and puppet them.  

• Upvote 1