The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Nucks @ Preds 04/04/19 5pm -- Alex Biega Turns 31 Edition

xereau

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

I really was trying to just enjoy the last few games.  Refs make it impossible though.  Ugh, whatever.

It really is sickening.  I have no problem seeing us lose if we are simply outplayed.  But this garbage is destroying the game.  And it isn't going to stop.  The refs in this league are corrupt. Why do we even bother?

I’d honestly be happier if they got rid of all instant replay in every sport. You just live with the call that’s made. I’m so unbelievably tired of all these reviews and replays and they get the call wrong 75 percent of the effing time! Pisses me off to no end

1 minute ago, whcanuck said:

I’d honestly be happier if they got rid of all instant replay in every sport. You just live with the call that’s made. I’m so unbelievably tired of all these reviews and replays and they get the call wrong 75 percent of the effing time! Pisses me off to no end

It works in leagues that care about professionalism and hold problem officials accountable.

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Edler has been an absolute beast this season.  We will definitely need Edler and he is a superior option to any D on the left side through UFA.  The team is better off with him than without him, especially with a discount.  If he can help the team at a fair price, it would be stupid to reject the possibility.

If he's good enough to start, then he should be moved.  This is a rebuild.  It's difficult to calculate what he (and Hamhuis for that matter) cost us in not being willing to move while we have been trying to rebuild.  An extra 1st or high second round pick might have given us a Sergachev or a Gerard.  

If he's not good enough to be moved for a decent return, then we shouldn't keep him.

At the very least, we should not give him a NMC now, nor any comparable player the same deal again.  (Exceptions are core players like Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser and Hughes.) 

Edler has not been a beast.  He has been skated around and made to look invisible in many games.  Yes, he scores the occasional goal; yes he is more reliable than other would-be starters like Pouliot and Del Zotto.  But that doesn't mean he's a very good player.  I would choose Stecher and Tanev (and of course Hughes) over Edler in our depth chart right now.   And NEXT year when everyone is 6 months older and new potential starters arrive (Woo and maybe a UFA) he drops further.  Hutton improved a lot this year, he will be imo better than Edler by November of next year.  If Tryamkin or Juolevi can play at a high level (and start, obviously), Edler may drop further.  I suspect that Biega will be the equal of Edler by next year.  Assuming Edler even plays, which is not a given, due to his propensity to be injured.

They should sign him to something, and move him in the summer; that extra draft pick would look nice when the Draft is in our home town.

Just now, gameburn said:

If he's good enough to start, then he should be moved.  This is a rebuild.  It's difficult to calculate what he (and Hamhuis for that matter) cost us in not being willing to move while we have been trying to rebuild.  An extra 1st or high second round pick might have given us a Sergachev or a Gerard.  

If he's not good enough to be moved for a decent return, then we shouldn't keep him.

At the very least, we should not give him a NMC now, nor any comparable player the same deal again.  (Exceptions are core players like Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser and Hughes.) 

Edler has not been a beast.  He has been skated around and made to look invisible in many games.  Yes, he scores the occasional goal; yes he is more reliable than other would-be starters like Pouliot and Del Zotto.  But that doesn't mean he's a very good player.  I would choose Stecher and Tanev (and of course Hughes) over Edler in our depth chart right now.   And NEXT year when everyone is 6 months older and new potential starters arrive (Woo and maybe a UFA) he drops further.  Hutton improved a lot this year, he will be imo better than Edler by November of next year.  If Tryamkin or Juolevi can play at a high level (and start, obviously), Edler may drop further.  I suspect that Biega will be the equal of Edler by next year.  Assuming Edler even plays, which is not a given, due to his propensity to be injured.

They should sign him to something, and move him in the summer; that extra draft pick would look nice when the Draft is in our home town.

He cost us literally nothing.  If you don't re-sign him, you still get nothing for him.  You need veterans in a rebuild still to avoid being Edmonton.

21 minutes ago, Wilfred said:

Man I'm so surprised that the tactic of playing not to lose cost us the game. I'm so surprised that giving the Preds opportunity after opportunity after opportunity because we just refuse to do anything with the puck, cost us.

Clear clear clear clear clear clear clear clear clear the puck. That's all the Canucks did in the 3rd period with the puck. Didn't matter if they had all day to skate with it, all the time and space in the world, just instant cleared.

Deserve to lose when you play that cowardly.

That’s Green for ya, defend the lead only play in the first 100 feet of the ice, get conservative and don’t worry about putting the game away. 

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He cost us literally nothing.  If you don't re-sign him, you still get nothing for him.  You need veterans in a rebuild still to avoid being Edmonton.

You're right about some kind of signing... we don't want to see another Hamhuis situation; but wouldn't the best thing be to sign him, THEN move him for an extra pick at the Draft? Sautner and Brisebois looking not half bad, Juolevi and Woo likely to make next year's squad, with Hughes eating up 25 minutes a game... Stecher and Hutton carrying a load (as they did this year, in fact): we won't need Edler.  But getting a pick for him could really help us in a couple of years when we begin to contend.  Imagine how much stronger the Canucks would be now, if we'd moved the Sedins a few years back...  And Edler isn't a franchise class act like the Sedins or Linden.  He was never even as good as Kesler… nicer, yes, less willing to be traded, yes. 

42 minutes ago, Roberts said:

this season has had the most terrible calls against Vancouver I've ever seen. how does this even happen?

I fear it's like puck luck... you kind of make your own luck by pushing, working.  Green might be too nice, too.  And for the longest time we couldn't kill a penalty which made the bad calls and non-calls seem worse.  And later, we couldn't seem to score on the pp, probably changed the way the team played.  But the calls have been hard to watch; I don't recall it ever being this bad before.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hopefully that’s the first and last zebra Bo gives a farewell salute to. NHL officials are scum of the earth. 

Some of the games this year have been officiated worse than anything I've seen.  If there was a disputed goal, we always seem to be on the losing end of it.  Same with offsides, with some of the penalties too.  The Matheson hit on Pettersson.. what was the penalty for that?  Ref standing 6 ft away.  And the Getzlaff "accidental" hit on Virtanen -- could have killed him. 

33 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Some of the games this year have been officiated worse than anything I've seen.  If there was a disputed goal, we always seem to be on the losing end of it.  Same with offsides, with some of the penalties too.  The Matheson hit on Pettersson.. what was the penalty for that?  Ref standing 6 ft away.  And the Getzlaff "accidental" hit on Virtanen -- could have killed him. 

NHL refs are far and away the worst officials in professional sports. The level of ineptitude and irretrievable stupidity evident within their ranks is obvious. They suck ass. 

2 hours ago, gameburn said:

Missed high stick reach over rake job  on Hughes early on literally right  in front of Pollack.  Total disgrace for not protecting a rookie potential star.

5 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

I'm not saying fire Green. But I cannot stand the line juggling. Absolute BS. Spooner does f all and gets the top LW spot! Why not Granny. Sure move jake down what ever. But this constant damn line blender has to stop. Its the 2nd last game not the game to make to playoffs. I do not like this coaching staff at all. Green needs to flex a bit in his ideals. Not much better than Willie D right now. Playing favorites and un dying line changes. If Im Benning I give this staff one more year tops before a serious change. 

Green was in on team tank all along. 

Archived