The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ADSF: (A1) Tampa Bay Lightning vs. (WC2) Columbus Blue Jackets | Blue Jackets win series 4-0

2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 1  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Lightning in 4
    • Lightning in 5
    • Lightning in 6
    • Lightning in 7
    • Blue Jackets in 4
    • Blue Jackets in 5
    • Blue Jackets in 6
    • Blue Jackets in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2019 at 11:00 PM

3 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Can you qualify the Tortz comment? 

Why should he be thought of by you as a bad choice as Head coach for Columbus? 

You mention a style of play. I think that’s a great place for you to start. 

I'd be repeating myself for the nth time.

What I actually said is this: "if a Tortorella team is going to go anywhere, it's with the kind of heavy, up tempo young lineup he has to work with - otherwise I don't think his cookie cutter fits many teams."  

Tortorella has some signatures that, unlike his friend Sullivan, I doubt he'll ever break from.  Don't care for his systems - same in NYR as they were in Van as they appear to be in Columbus - overly aggressive forecheck (great, love that if you have the horses, which he does in Columbus), never liked his dzone zone collapses -  loves to ride his key horses (borderline into the ground/exhaustion) - fortunately he has no shortage of them in Columbus - with a contender-deep lineup imo.  

If there's a team that he's a decent fit for - it's Columbus. 

But when I look at that roster, I don't consider 4th and 5th place finishes in the Metro to be particularly good results - or first round exits.  Squeaking into the post-season on the 82nd night, edging out a Habs team - not good enough imo.  Kudos to making the playoffs - but I look at:

Jones Werenski Murray Savard Nutivaara Harrington Carlsson McQauid

Panarin Atkinson Duchene Dubois Jenner Anderson Foligno Wennberg Bjorkstrand Dubinsky

Bob Korpi

And I don't see a perenial bubble team.

I see as good a blueline as virtually any in the NHL - top 5 range - likewise with their center depth - and probably the skill they have on the wings.  Some really talented, heavy forwards - Anderson, Jenner, Foligno.....great goaltending tandem.  Enviable group to work with.

Nice to see them performing well through the first few playoffs games - good time to get warm (and sometimes those bubble playoff teams enter the playoffs more ready for what's to come than a contender like Tampa that coasts in).    A lot of players on that team that I like and would want to poach.

But for the most part - not flavour-of-the-weeking them after a couple games - I don't think they're living up to their paper roster.  And they're going to have some work in the offseason, so who knows what they look like next year.

I look at them kind of the way I look at the Jets.  I love the Jets - and think they have the makings of a very difficult contender to handle - but I just don't find Maurice to be a convincing guy to head that group.   In a playoff run, anything can happen, but over the longer run, I wouldn't have stuck with either of these guys.  I'd love to see where these teams would be with a guy like Trotz behind their bench.

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Too late to change my picks?? Lol

I close the poll at the start of Game 2 for each series. You still have a chance to change your picks for some of the other series threads, though. ;)

If you’re talking about the bracket challenge, well...

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Regular season maybe  a fine or max 1 game 

Don't think he'll sit out for that. 

One of the many things wrong with the NHL imo. If it's a suspension in the season have some balls and call it in the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I close the poll at the start of Game 2 for each series. You still have a chance to change your picks for some of the other series threads, though. ;)

If you’re talking about the bracket challenge, well...

Ya my bracket is screwed if Tampa goes out. Picked them to win the cup. Lmao

Honestly, Kucherov might have just have cost his team the series.  He's their best player and I think that's a two game suspension.  Looked like the Kadri play although not quite as bad, that's why I'm saying two instead of three.

Tampa still has the better team with Kuch out, but think how much that'll kill the hope of this team if he's suspended.

Archived