The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver & Edmonton and Off season Plan

To VAN
Lucic, Pujuljarvi, 8th OA, 2nd round in 2019

TO EDM
Sutter 50% retained, 10th OA,

Edmonton gets to keep a top 10 pick. Gets a shutdown defensive center for 2.35 million. Edmonton will not find a 3rd line center of Sutter's caliber at that price tag. Along with an extra 4 million in space, EDM fills a positional need in Sutter and have enough cap space to go after a tier 2 UFA to help with the scoring. They lose Pujuljarvi and a 2nd essentially to get rid of Lucic's contract.

Canucks get a prospect in Pool Party who likely needs a change of scenery but has shown flashes of an amazing skillset. We move up two spots in the draft to allow us to potentially grab someone that has fallen in the draft like Cozens, Dach, etc. The additional 2nd gives us another pick in the top 40 where we can draft two defenseman at 38 and 40 along with our newly acquired 8th or move both for an additional 1st. We can then add a pick to Eriksson and send him to a cap floor team given most of his salary has already been paid, Ottawa may be interested given they have the cap room and need to stockpile picks for their rebuild. Hang onto Lucic to play 4th line with Beagle and Roussell for the next two years until Hughes and Petey need raises and move him out with some retention as Sutter comes off the books by then.  

I say we let Edler walk if he is asking for 5million+. Throw 11 million at Karlsson. (Minus Edlers's 5, Sutters 2, and likely Schaller's 2, we are only up 2 million in cap to take on Karlsson. Eriksson and Lucic are a wash.

DRAFT
Newhook/ (8th OA)
Trade 38th and 40th for mid round 1st and Draft Seider or keep picks and take L. Thomsson and Korczak. Its a win/win either way.

FREE AGENCY
Karlsson 75 million/7 years
LW UFA (Nelson, Nyquist, Hayes, etc) Anyone that can play along side Petey and Boes

LINEUP

UFA  Pettersson  Boeser
Pujuljarvi  Horvat  Virtanen
Pearson Gaudette Leivo ---------------> (love this line)
Roussel Beagle  Lucic

Karlsson Stetcher
Hughes Tanev (Eventually Woo)
Juolevi Hutton (Eventually Tryamkin)

Markstrom
Demko

What do you think? Can I take over for Benning yet?

I thin the value is actually kind of close.  However, no way does JB want to bring in another anchor contract in Lucic.  Those contracts are death to a team, when the cap dollar is so big.

I could see Sutter for Pool Party as a straight across deal.  Even then, I doubt JB would do that.  Pool Party looks like a serious bustaroo.  He can't produce offence, and he doesn't provide anything else.  He's likely going to be back in Finland in a year.  He reminds me a lot of Nuchuskin. (sp?)  No value in that player.  

• Upvote 1

Why are some of you so caught up with the Lucic contract despite the return when we have no cap troubles for the next two years, and the cap increasing almost every year?

Do you think Lucic in two years at 50 retained wont be moveable? Its literally 3 million dollars for two years at that time. Further more, this hinges on the ability of Benning to move Eriksson.

So we pick up a former top 5 pick, an additional 2nd this year whilst moving out Sutter who has is internally replaceable and move up two spots in the draft, and you guys are worried about 6 million? The amount retained on Sutter is a palsy 2 million. The cap is going up more than that so we're still not any worse.

Everyone wants the team to improve, pick up additional picks, younger players, etc. Yet, you want to get all this for free? We don't have the assets to do that, so you need get creative. Holland isn't an idiot, hes not gonna move the 8th OA just to get rid of Lucic's contract but would definitely do it if he could stay in the top 10. Pujuljarvi is a buy low high risk high reward and not to mention we get an additional 2nd round pick in the top 40 to shore up our blueline and add to our depleting prospect pool (Gaudette, Petey, Boes, etc are no longer prospects)

Im assuming that the problem is with the Edmonton trade and not the signing of Karlsson, etc. If it was to do with Karlsson, I don't even know what to say to you guys.

Why move to the 8th spot only to pick Newhook? Pretty much negates the move up since Newhook is likely available at 10 and if not, then someone good will have fallen. So we take a terrible contract in Lucic for basically Puljujarvi, who we don't know if he's damaged goods already being developed in Edmonton and a 2nd. Sutter at 50% retained has far more value if he ever gets healthy again (worst case is that he becomes a LTIR guy and finds an island).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I thin the value is actually kind of close.  However, no way does JB want to bring in another anchor contract in Lucic.  Those contracts are death to a team, when the cap dollar is so big.

I could see Sutter for Pool Party as a straight across deal.  Even then, I doubt JB would do that.  Pool Party looks like a serious bustaroo.  He can't produce offence, and he doesn't provide anything else.  He's likely going to be back in Finland in a year.  He reminds me a lot of Nuchuskin. (sp?)  No value in that player.  

I undertstand the apprehension but we have cap space and we need to weaponize it. Hutton, Goldobin and the like are not getting us high picks or former first round players. I seriously doubt Pujuljarvi goes straight across for either Hutton or Sutter.

I disagree with you here Alf. I think Pujuljarvi still has something to prove. He absolutely has the skillset, he just hasn't had an opportunity to put it together in Edmonton. A change of scenery can do wonders for a player. Just look at William Karlsson.  

It really works out as

Lucic, Pool, 8th OA for 10OA

Retained Sutter for 2nd round

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

Why move to the 8th spot only to pick Newhook? Pretty much negates the move up since Newhook is likely available at 10 and if not, then someone good will have fallen. So we take a terrible contract in Lucic for basically Puljujarvi, who we don't know if he's damaged goods already being developed in Edmonton and a 2nd. Sutter at 50% retained has far more value if he ever gets healthy again (worst case is that he becomes a LTIR guy and finds an island).

Newhook because I believe he is better than where he is ranked. Hes had some Barzal comparisons as far as style of play. I would be okay with Dach or Cozens if they dropped ahead of Newhook and even Krebs. I just went with who I wanted to see.

For Pujulujarvi, moving up two spots and a 2nd. The 2nd gives us the assets needed to move up into the mid to late 1st or pick up two defenseman. I just don't think anyone is going to get 8th OA for Lucic. They'll look at other options before doing that.

Pool is high risk high reward, just for a second imagine he reaches his ceiling!

44 minutes ago, sonoman said:

So we add on another useless 6million dollar man and retain salary on Sutter? 

43A94953-6B27-410A-A736-40F37C64C956.jpeg

What does it matter if we get rid of Eriksson after July 1 and have the cap space? Don't really see a counter argument in your response.

1 minute ago, Seannnp said:

I undertstand the apprehension but we have cap space and we need to weaponize it. Hutton, Goldobin and the like are not getting us high picks or former first round players. I seriously doubt Pujuljarvi goes straight across for either Hutton or Sutter.

I disagree with you here Alf. I think Pujuljarvi still has something to prove. He absolutely has the skillset, he just hasn't had an opportunity to put it together in Edmonton. A change of scenery can do wonders for a player. Just look at William Karlsson.  

It really works out as

Lucic, Pool, 8th OA for 10OA

Retained Sutter for 2nd round

Lucic has a NMC. If we are one of if not the only destination that he would like to go to, then it's going to cost them a lot more to move him out. They are basically getting a get out of jail free card here and not needing to protect him in the expansion draft and he better agree to waive this clause if he does get traded here.

People talk about decline and Lucic would be a good example of it. There are other tough guys in the league, but they can skate. The game has gotten fast than he can keep up, so even in a couple of years and we retain 50%, I don't think it'll be a very movable piece. We would be handcuffing ourselves to try to offload him by retaining cap and possibly giving up assets to make it happen as teams aren't lining up to do any favours for others.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Seannnp said:

What does it matter if we get rid of Eriksson after July 1 and have the cap space? Don't really see a counter argument in your response.

But why use the cap space? Just because u can?

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Lucic has a NMC. If we are one of if not the only destination that he would like to go to, then it's going to cost them a lot more to move him out. They are basically getting a get out of jail free card here and not needing to protect him in the expansion draft and he better agree to waive this clause if he does get traded here.

People talk about decline and Lucic would be a good example of it. There are other tough guys in the league, but they can skate. The game has gotten fast than he can keep up, so even in a couple of years and we retain 50%, I don't think it'll be a very movable piece. We would be handcuffing ourselves to try to offload him by retaining cap and possibly giving up assets to make it happen as teams aren't lining up to do any favours for others.

Agreed it wont be easy, but I don't think it will be impossible. You do have the options to buy him out with only two years left, LTIR, bury him in the minors etc.

Also, not sure if this is the case but if he waives him NMC to come to Vancouver, his NMC no longer applies to subsequent moves?

4 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

I think that's what you have to do when you don't have the assets to make any significant moves. Weaponize the cap space.

But we are not that desperate...so it's best to leave the capspace wide open...