The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver & Edmonton and Off season Plan

2 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Eriksson is a huge mystery to me.  

If he’s still that damn good, then why hasn’t he shown this side of his in Vancouver?

Two coaches now (WD and Green) saw red flags in the way Eriksson was playing here and hence, kept him on the 3rd line.  

I haven't been following the World’s at all but if Eriksson really is showing good chemistry with Pettersson, then let them play together when the season starts FFS.

He's a mystery to a lot of us. He started this past season on a line with Pettersson and was also putting up some numbers. It was after Boeser was struggling out the gate that Green decided to want to spark him by playing with EP and they developed chemistry, so Eriksson was never put back on the line. Eriksson has come out and said that he and Green don't agree on things 100% of the time, but I don't think Eriksson isn't trying here and maybe needs better offensive players to work with to up his offense. It also looks like with Sweden he's given more freedom to rush up the play whereas because Loui has been put into a more defensive role that he's instructed to play a different style.

It might just be an issue of not fitting into this system (doesn't mean that there is a problem with the system here, but some players simply fit better in certain circumstances). I'm not the biggest fan of WD, but I would suggest that maybe Green sees how well Eriksson is defensively that he feels comfortable with him taking those hard minutes and sheltering his younger guys. He did put him back into the top 6 at the end of the year, but who knows if that was simply to showcase him. His worlds performance should hopefully garner more interest as well.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I haven't been following the World’s at all but if Eriksson really is showing good chemistry with Pettersson, then let them play together when the season starts FFS.

Agree with you here. He was tried with Pettersson last year for some stretches throughout the season but didn't really show what he's doing now. He is playing very well, best I've seen since we traded for him.

If we could get the 8thOA from Edmonton for Lucic, we could draft wingers for Horvat and continue playing Eriksson on that 1st line.

Eriksson Pettersson Boeser

Krebs Horvat Podkolzin

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

Lucic, 8th OA, 40 OA, Pujuljarvi, Russell

for

Sutter (50% retained)

We take on 12.5million in salary (6.5million off the books in two years). At that time we can figure out what to do with the Lucic contract which would get rid of the remaining 6million. We get 8th for taking on Lucic and Pool for taking on Russell, along with the 2nd for Sutter 50% retained. Edmonton can go ahead and make a splash in free agency.

We then trade Goldobin, 38thOA, 40thOA to NYR for 20th OA. NY is only 1 year into their rebuild and would likely like adding two top 4 picks along with a Russian semi-prospect that could still work out for them.

8thOA - Podkolzin/Boldy

10thOA - Krebs/Newhook - Could always trade down to 12-14th and may still have one or both of these available as well if dmen start be taken

20thOA - Seider

What could our 1st in 2020, Lind, and Eriksson fetch us in a trade? PK Subban, Mike Hoffman, etc.

I think we'd have to add some pieces (and/or nix their 2nd) to make that happen... but sure!

Though I don't think Seider makes it to anywhere near 20th OA. I'd take whoever's left from top of our list of Dach/Boldy/Krebs etc at 8 and Seider at 10 and be thrilled about it.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Eriksson is a huge mystery to me.  

If he’s still that damn good, then why hasn’t he shown this side of his in Vancouver?

He's been a completely ineffective player right from game 1 in Vancouver. This despite 30 goals the previous season, and some impressive international performances.

I wonder...could it be depression? Maybe it is a case of someone just hating living in Vancouver? Is it possible that something like SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) might affect an NHL player, to the point where his performance majorly suffers? But when he leaves, and gets to play somewhere else, where the sun is shining brightly every day, suddenly the veil is lifted? These International tournaments (World Championships and World Cup) were held in mid-Spring and early Fall, when the weather is better than during the NHL regular season. And it may explain why his stats took a smaller, but still noticeable dip when he was traded from Dallas to Boston as well.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think we'd have to add some pieces (and/or nix their 2nd) to make that happen... but sure!

Though I don't think Seider makes it to anywhere near 20th OA. I'd take whoever's left from top of our list of Dach/Boldy/Krebs etc at 8 and Seider at 10 and be thrilled about it.

Id be willing to throw them a prospect or a pick in 2020 to balance it out.

Lets look at how the draft is likely to play out with no surprises keeping in mind, Soderstrom, Broberg, York and Harley are rated higher than Seider,  and as well as Sieder has played I don't see him surpassing either of those dmen in the rankings.

Hughes

Kakko

Turcotte - Chicago Kid

Dach - Need secondary scoring

Cozens - Need everything so Byram could go here as well

Byram - Not getting past Detroit but they could take Cozens if Byram is gone

Caufield - Buffalo needs goal scorers

Krebs - playmaking left wing that plays a similar game to Horvat and would look great playing on the same line

Boldy - With Perry, Getzlaf and Kesler on the decline I don't think they move on from a big body smooth skating winger that I believe can play C as well

Podkolzin - we shouldn't pass up on him despite the Russian factor. He comes off someone that seems like a big game/playoff performer given his work ethic and skill level

Zegras - Philadelphia needs wingers desperately. They have Patrick and Couturier at C and are pretty much set at D

Newhook - seems like he would be a great fit with Minnesota

Broberg - Florida is set up front and am 100% confident they take dman, likely a smooth skating defenseman like Broberg or Soderstrom

Kaliyev - Would be a good fit in Phoenix

Lavoie - Don't see how Montreal passes up on him given his local status and playoff performance

Harley - York could go here as well but I think Colorado takes a dman either way with their 16th after having addressed their secondary scoring woes with Dach

York - Defenseman to Ottawa I think but this is the only pick where I really have no idea who they could take.

I see Seider going between 18-20. We could try and trade up higher than 20 as well and ensure we get Seider.

7 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

Id be willing to throw them a prospect or a pick in 2020 to balance it out.

Lets look at how the draft is likely to play out with no surprises keeping in mind, Soderstrom, Broberg, York and Harley are rated higher than Seider,  and as well as Sieder has played I don't see him surpassing either of those dmen in the rankings.

Hughes

Kakko

Turcotte - Chicago Kid

Dach - Need secondary scoring

Cozens - Need everything so Byram could go here as well

Byram - Not getting past Detroit but they could take Cozens if Byram is gone

Caufield - Buffalo needs goal scorers

Krebs - playmaking left wing that plays a similar game to Horvat and would look great playing on the same line

Boldy - With Perry, Getzlaf and Kesler on the decline I don't think they move on from a big body smooth skating winger that I believe can play C as well

Podkolzin - we shouldn't pass up on him despite the Russian factor. He comes off someone that seems like a big game/playoff performer given his work ethic and skill level

Zegras - Philadelphia needs wingers desperately. They have Patrick and Couturier at C and are pretty much set at D

Newhook - seems like he would be a great fit with Minnesota

Broberg - Florida is set up front and am 100% confident they take dman, likely a smooth skating defenseman like Broberg or Soderstrom

Kaliyev - Would be a good fit in Phoenix

Lavoie - Don't see how Montreal passes up on him given his local status and playoff performance

Harley - York could go here as well but I think Colorado takes a dman either way with their 16th after having addressed their secondary scoring woes with Dach

York - Defenseman to Ottawa I think but this is the only pick where I really have no idea who they could take.

I see Seider going between 18-20. We could try and trade up higher than 20 as well and ensure we get Seider.

Teams don't draft by public rankings.

I have Seider as the 2nd best D after Byram. Soderstrom closely behind (honorable mentiones to York, Harley, Henola etc) and I'd not be shocked to see Seider go anywhere from 9-14'ish.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Teams don't draft by public rankings.

I have Seider as the 2nd best D after Byram. Soderstrom closely behind (honorable mentiones to York, Harley, Henola etc) and I'd not be shocked to see Seider go anywhere from 9-14'ish.

I am fully aware of that and comparatively I have Seider after Byram, Soderstrom and Harley.

Don't be fooled by Eriksson. He plays harder when he's wearing a Team Sweden jersey. Couldn't care less as an NHLer.

I remember Eriksson when he joined the team. Scored on his own net in his first game (first shift?) as a Canuck. lol I believe he passed it back to Gudbranson and Erik couldn't accept the pass, went in the empty net.

18 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I disagree.  A deal centered around Lucic for Eriksson would net us more assets since Eriksson Hans more perceived current value than Lucic.   Not only would we possibly receive a higher draft pick (8th OA/10OA swap), but we would also get someone that would be more valuable to the Canucks.  Lucic is one of the toughest guys in the league, and we wouldn't see more Matheson/Pettersson type situations in the future as a result.   Guys like Pettersson and Hughes need to be protected......especially come playoff time.

Furthermore, I think Lucic being surrounded by friends and family would help get him going again.  The guy hasn’t been the same player since his father passed, but I think being around family and friends might help that.   I also suspect that there’s a part of Lucic that wants to repair his relationship with Vancouver.

Not on my list of things I'd be remotely considering. If he wanted to do that, he should have come here in the first place. Doing one player a "favour", hoping he'll turn it around is a huge gamble given exactly what you said; when a slug like Eriksson has MORE value than Lucic, why on earth would we want the 'worse' guy? For a couple draft spots?

If it got us Jack Hughes by wheel deal, yes, then I'd do it. I'd accept Lucic... begrudgingly. That's about the level of how bad he's been in Edmonton the last year and a half. I've been forced by way of my friends to watch Edmonton games, and he's just BAD out there.

Seeing Eriksson's drive for Team Sweden just makes things more frustrating as it's clear he's not giving us his all whenever he plays for us. Until I actually see him have that drive for us, I'm not buying what anyone's saying about him needing to be with Pettersson here. He's perhaps the least motivated player in the entire NHL.

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Vancouver & Edmonton and Off season Plan