The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boeser's Contract & Worth

Rate this topic

CanadianRugby

Wouldn’t 5 years be the exact worst length of contract for us to sign?  Isn’t that making his cotnraxt expire right when he becomes a UFA?

Either a 4 year contract and he is an RFA, or buy at least a couple years of free agency.

If we are giving him a 5 year contract, it is very beneficial to him and the cap hit should be way less.... like $6 million.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Provost said:

Wouldn’t 5 years be the exact worst length of contract for us to sign?  Isn’t that making his cotnraxt expire right when he becomes a UFA?

Either a 4 year contract and he is an RFA, or buy at least a couple years of free agency.

If we are giving him a 5 year contract, it is very beneficial to him and the cap hit should be way less.... like $6 million.

wouldn't 5 years eat 1 ufa year?

25 minutes ago, Provost said:

Definitely need to avoid UFA, I am okay with a 4 year deal if he thinks he is worth more and is determined he will want a shorter term contract so he can cash in on a max length contract. He isn't going to get 7.5m or higher on a 8 year deal with his current stats. He needs to try and be healthier to pad those stats over a full year. 

I could see a 2-3 year deal happening if he bets on himself. I hope JB presses for 7-8years though, and keeps the cap hit semi reasonable. We need to try lock up guys for a good deal when possible, having Boeser hurt each of the last 2 years is a bit of a blessing. If he was healthy he would be 9-11m a year if he was near or above ppg.

I guess the Canucks are "fortunate" that Boeser has had a few random injuries and only had 1 year playing with Pettersson.  His stats should have been way higher and thus more costly. 

I certainly hope that he notices around the league on how teams with players that takes too much of their cap space tends to not do too well.  

Not to say he should leave money off the table like Burrows.... but that he should use Horvat as a measuring stick.  Just using the last 2 seasons, Horvat's PPG is 0.73, whereas Boeser is 0.83.  It's arguable that Horvat is more integral to the Canucks as he's a 2-way centre and potential captain.  If Bo is $5.5, then maybe Boeser should be maybe $6.5 or $7 million per year.  

In any case, if he really really wants to cash in, it's better to pad his stats and resume first, which means he needs a better support cast.  The way for the team to get better players, more salary cap space to attract high end UFA and/or the ability to retain elite talent within the organization.  

1 hour ago, Tomatoes11 said:

3 million isn’t that far off 4 million.....notice the almost.

Regardless of how much you dislike my comments, the point still stands and is bang on accurate. If dim Jim can massively overpay for 4th liners, Boeser’s agent is going to rake him for at least 7 or 8. Dim Jim is going to get slaughtered like a cow in a slaughter house.

Like it our not. I know weneedlume definitely doesn’t like the truth lol

:lol: 3 isn’t far from 4... I guess its as far as 2....

If you wanna hate on JB at least use the right numbers. 

Your trolling is weak Ketchup. Have a nice day. 

Edited by spook007

Years ago Brian Burke sounded the alarm that GMs around the league were effectively eliminating the "second contract". It used to be a guy signed his three year entry level deal, then normally signed a two, three or four year deal for incrementally more dollars. Once the second contract was done, that was when the player signed the big dollar, long term contract. Now, however, guys are coming off their three-year entry level deal and are getting seven and eight year deals at $5.5-$7+ million, thereby putting the team in cap hell if they happen to have three or four players like that (cough-Toronto-cough-Chicago-cough).

How would we like it if, in the 21-22 season, the team has three guys making $10 million each and Vancouver has yet to make it out of the first round, assuming they even make the playoffs? Call me old-fashioned, but I'd offer Boeser $5.5 million per year for three seasons with the understanding that his next contract could well be eight years at 8-10 million per. I just don't believe in paying huge dollars when neither the player nor the team has had consistent, high-level success over time. Pay for performance, not for potential.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Years ago Brian Burke sounded the alarm that GMs around the league were effectively eliminating the "second contract". It used to be a guy signed his three year entry level deal, then normally signed a two, three or four year deal for incrementally more dollars. Once the second contract was done, that was when the player signed the big dollar, long term contract. Now, however, guys are coming off their three-year entry level deal and are getting seven and eight year deals at $5.5-$7+ million, thereby putting the team in cap hell if they happen to have three or four players like that (cough-Toronto-cough-Chicago-cough).

How would we like it if, in the 21-22 season, the team has three guys making $10 million each and Vancouver has yet to make it out of the first round, assuming they even make the playoffs? Call me old-fashioned, but I'd offer Boeser $5.5 million per year for three seasons with the understanding that his next contract could well be eight years at 8-10 million per. I just don't believe in paying huge dollars when neither the player nor the team has had consistent, high-level success over time. Pay for performance, not for potential.

someone called me a 'curmudgeon' on here recently (and then apologized to you lol)...

I'm ok with that.

I agree entirely here - the bridge contract needs to remain a reality - and norm - even for the exceptional young players imo.

The Leafs are paving a road to both disaster and lockout.

And beyond that - for the individual players themselves - they need to keep their eye on developing, improving, and working - which is something a bridge accomplishes....Giving them veteran contracts, as if they've earned it after a year of two of NHL production - imo not only does not serve the team, but not necessarily the player either.  Where is the incentive for a 22 or 23 year old - who with all due respect are not done developing, growing, etc - when they're fed a premature long term, huge payday while they've yet to reach their prime.  I'm sorry, but Nylander types have simply not glimpsed their potential yet at 22 years of age - and the new age fad of rewarding them with monster contracts prematurely is a surefire way to undermine a team's emerging 'window', while putting undue pressure on a young player prematurely to live up to 'core' or even 'franchise player' type terms.

Burke may be a 'curmudgeon' as well, but he's absolutely right to sound the warnings on this stuff, and call out his former franchise which is trend-setting in ill-advised, new age ways - that aren't really that well thought out relative to the 'old school' dumbies standing in the way of 'progress' lol.

Boeser at a bridge - that does not prematurely pay him more than Horvat should be the starting point imo - and hopefully as sensible a young guy as he (and his camp appear to be) - would understand the logic in it - from a team, of individuals, and individual standpoint...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tas said:

yeah, and boeser is currently finished his 3rd year. 

2nd year.  It's 40 games for that 1st pro-year.  That's why Draisaitl was sent back to juniors after 37 games his 1st season.  They burned a year of his ELC but did not want to start accruing towards the 7 years re free agency.

Boeser will be a free agent in 5 years.

Edited by mll
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mll said:

2nd year.  It's 40 games for that 1st pro-year.  That's why Draisaitl was sent back to juniors after 37 games his 1st season.  They burned a year of his ELC but did not want to start accruing towards the 7 years re free agency.

Boeser will be a free agent in 5 years.

thanks, forgot about the 40 game rule. 

18 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

My guess:

5 years - $30,000,000

Q - Could or would they consider giving Boeser a NMC, so not to have to protect him in the Expansion Draft? 

By then the Canucks will be strong contenders. Boeser will be 28, and he will get paid ($9-$10). 

NMC/NTC are not allowed on RFA years.  That's why it was so complicated for Toronto to sign Nylander.  They would have gladly just given him a trade clause.

NMC forces a team to protect the player.  That spot counts towards a team's protection list - it's not an added free spot.  That's why Edler getting a NMC to protect him from expansion should be a no go given his age.

• Cheers 1

6 or 6.5 million is fair but you guys are failing to include the Benning is going to be raked over the coal factor. I say 7.5 is what he will get from Benning. Another gm would keep it to 6 probably. 

Which is why we should trade him considering how far we are from contending, 

10 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

6.5mil for 6years is more than fair 

Horvats contract of 5.5$ x6 should be used as the bench mark.

Give Boeser $1 mil more than Bo because of his superior production. 

Sucks that the work load Bo has to face doesn't come into play here. Bo > Boeser, but Boeser scores more so he'll make more money. Boeser isn't 1mil dollars better than Bo, especially if you factor in the fact Bo is healthier overall. If I am Benning my starting point is 5.5 and it ends at 6. Bo is the superior player overall and Boeser can't in his heart of hearts think he is worth a mil or more than Bo.