The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ICBC wants more money from you!

7 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Not sure if I'm reading this correctly or not Ryp,  but I take some exception to this statement. 

I'm born, raised and live in BC.  I'm as honest a person as you'll ever meet. I've  never scammed icbc  (or anyone else for that matter), or faked anything and I've paid my share of premiums for the past 30 years.   

Exactly how am I to be blamed for this?

Target bad drivers with increased premiums and give relief to safe drivers, Period! 

Maybe he is referring to the people who kept voting for the BC LIEberals, who raided ICBC for funds.  You know, one of the reasons for the recent increases in premiums.

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Everyone who complains about this are the same people who scam/abuse the system in regards to vehicle theft, hit and runs, exaggerated injuries claims and exotic/luxury vehicle insurance. 

I used to complain about the constant hikes too until I saw it from a different perspective and the yearly costs it has. People of BC have no one to blame but themselves.

But this happens everywhere. Not just BC. Are you going to tell me that people from New Jersey are angels? (I'm assuming that's where you are from by your avatar anyway)

Also, it's already been pointed out that not everyone in BC does the stuff you mentioned. Your use of lumping everyone from a geographical region into one group is not only alarming but really ignorant in my opinion.

Edited by The Lock

It was all fine before the government skimmed millions from them and injury scams...I mean claims...went through the roof.  They needed to hire more SIU officers instead of letting them go, amongst other things.

I just got my renewal a few days ago.....over $1800 for pleasure use....I drive less than 5K/year and have the best safe driver discount possible and drive a 2011 Honda Civic. 

I lowered my coverage last year due to the increase and will be looking to do the same again this year.

Thankfully they introduced the low mileage discount, but I have to wait another year to get that.

I have said for years that they needed to revamp the “pleasure” use coverage.  There’s people like myself that are truly only pleasure drivers, and then there are others that are on the road all day long, but because they aren’t driving to/from work they qualify for pleasure use.  I am certain that some people that drive to/from work use their car less than some of these “pleasure” drivers. 

Back on topic.....it’s a no-brainer to hike rates for the most dangerous drivers.

Edited by redhdlois

1 hour ago, jimmyking8888 said:

The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC) has announced another phase of their new rate model which will see customers with frequent or serious driving convictions paying more for their optional insurance coverage starting Sept. 1.    After June 10, driving convictions will have the potential to affect premiums. The premiums will escalate in line with the frequency and seriousness of those convictions.   Serious driving convictions such as Criminal Code offences, impaired driving, excessive speeding and distracted driving, will result in increased premiums after the first conviction.

I obviously agree with this, however, I am concerned that some of those people will just drive uninsured if their rates are too high.

Make sure that you have UMP coverage !!

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Privatiztion please and thanks. 

Funny story....years ago, before ICBC, my (claims-free) father went to re-insure his vehicle....they raised his premium...stating it was because he was due to have an accident. :blink:

13 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Funny story....years ago, before ICBC, my (claims-free) father went to re-insure his vehicle....they raised his premium...stating it was because he was due to have an accident. :blink:

wow,

I haven't had an accident in 25 years, and the one I had was 50/50 ( not my fault!). I have been driving under my wifes insurance forever  (-40%)as I didn't agree with my rates going up.

They're doing the 6.3% overall increase too...

I believe privatization would breed competition, therefore better options.

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

wow,

I haven't had an accident in 25 years, and the one I had was 50/50 ( not my fault!). I have been driving under my wifes insurance forever  (-40%)as I didn't agree with my rates going up.

They're doing the 6.3% overall increase too...

I believe privatization would breed competition, therefore better options.

Are you driving your wife’s vehicle the majority of the time?  If so, I hope you are listed as the principal operator.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

nope, so we can end up without ICBC and more options

exactly my point, so we would end up like Ontario and Alberta, trying to figure out a private system that needs as much fixing as ICBC did prior to the changes. Options doesn't necessarily mean better options.

I would prefer to have $300k in accident benefits, $2800 a month in wage loss benefits whilst I focus on my recovery. I think in Alberta and Ontario accident benefits are less than $100k and youre only saving 200-300 dollars on average. Do you want to know how quickly a serious accident can burn through 100k in treatment?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes they do.  But you can't go to a private company for the basic insurance.  It's still a monopoly that needs to go away.  It's a proven fact that competition leads to lower prices in every area of life.  There is a reason ICBC rates are through the roof, go up almost every year while the company itself loses millions of dollars a year.  It's because the government is running it, not an actual business owner who knows how to run a business and make a profit.  

Allow the private companies to offer the basic insurance and provide more competition and you will see premiums go down guaranteed while still making a profit.

according to google, average rates in the USA are 1500 US a year which is more than I pay right now. So how is it you guarantee this?

Also, if private means cheaper, why is healthcare so expensive in the US?

Edited by butters

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Not sure if I'm reading this correctly or not Ryp,  but I take some exception to this statement. 

I'm born, raised and live in BC.  I'm as honest a person as you'll ever meet. I've  never scammed icbc  (or anyone else for that matter), or faked anything and I've paid my share of premiums for the past 30 years.   

Exactly how am I to be blamed for this?

Target bad drivers with increased premiums and give relief to safe drivers, Period! 

I am obviously not saying everyone. There are a good amount of bad apples ruining it for everyone else though. 

Edited by RRypien37