• Signs with Canucks 1-2 years 7 mill or less
    • Signs with canucks 1-2 years more than 7 mill
    • signs with Canucks more than 2 years 7 mill or less
    • signs with Canucks more than 2 years show me the money more then 7 mill
    • Signs else where more than 2 years 7 mill or less
    • signs else where more then 2 years 7 mill or more show me the money
    • signs else where absolutely 8 million-9million 4-5 years

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/2019 at 11:22 AM

55 minutes ago, Kass said:

Hughes, and Woo will not need protection in the expanison draft. Also is Richmond Tony not worth keeping around?....

I figured it was two years of professional experience from my quick wikiing that would make Hughes eligible as he will be a third year pro and Woo eligible if he plays from this season in the show. I didn't mention Stecher as it seems he is not valued as he should be and I don't know if they would protect him or if he will be with the team then. They should though, if he keeps up his current play. Great defensively, on the pk, and can contribute offensively now and possibly more. Especially if he improves his shot.

8 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

Question: is paying Edler 8 mill for his half season equivalent to paying someone else 16 mill for a full season? 

Food for thought.. 

I think JB is waiting to see if there is any chance to get EK before he signs Edler.  What would our D look like if we have EK with ?Edler too, and EK without Edler?  Where does OJ fit in?  If we get Broberg at the draft, what about him in a couple years? 

EK Edler

Hughes Tanev

Stecher Hutton

Schenn

EK ?

Hughes Tanev

Stecher Hutton

Schenn

7 hours ago, BlastPast said:

Has it ever occured to you that you don't have a clue what you're talking about? Serious question. Are you 100% certain that what you think is in any way remotely resembling a cogent thought ?

Right because until his last year of his contract a lot of posters on here couldn’t wait to get rid of him he shows up for one season out of 4 and he’s a now #1 dman. 

Maybe for 10 of the 40 games he plays in a season he’s a top pair.

Slow injured and inconsistent.

That screams top pair too you? Lol. 

• Cheers 3

Just now, combover said:

Right because until his last year of his contract a lot of posters on here couldn’t wait to get rid of him he shows up for one season out of 4 and he’s a now #1 dman. 

Maybe for 10 of the 40 games he plays in a season he’s a top pair.

Slow injured and inconsistent.

That screams top pair too you? Lol. 

Wow I can’t believe I’m agreeing with you but I am.  Edler has rarely been a top pair defense on a deep team, a solid second pairing guy absolutely.  He’s the best we have though....so he gets the top pair minutes.    Gardiner and Myers too.  Looks like it will be same as it ever was for a while longer...at least until Hughes is seasoned a bit.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Here is the Challenge name me just 1 team you would put Edler on as your # 3rd dman just one anyone who believes Edler is a 3-4 dman just name me one team he would play as your 3rd dman

The sharks the blues the bruins jets caps  any contending I doubt he cracks the top pair on the flames a lot of teams. 

wasn’t karlson playing on the second unit.....

he is SLOW OLD AND OFTEN INJURED  he isn’t a top pair d man anymore. And until last season his contract year he played most night like a #4. He played to get paid once he does he’ll be back to his no show. That’s hows he’s been his entire career. 

Edited by combover
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, steve french said:

Edler is a great defenceman. Of course he never hit those heights he once looked to, but I think people don't realize how important he is. He eats the toughest minutes and puts up points. Plays a strong game despite seemingly losing a bit of physicality after those bs suspensions. Never seems to complain or take a shift off. I know he's not comfortable with being a face of the team, but he seems to me to be a big influence and leader in the dressing room. Plays in all situations. He's losing steam like most do though, and has become injury prone. Hasn't played a full season in 6 years. Can't pay him those lulzy numbers at that though I think this may be a troll. Though I do wonder what his stat line might look like if he was getting real sheltered limited minutes in an offensive role on a really good team. 

Edit: I just read Edler wants a 3 year deal and Van won't do it. This is insane to me, and does a disservice to a player who has earned it.

What’s the sourc?  Just curious....

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Wow I can’t believe I’m agreeing with you but I am.  Edler has rarely been a top pair defense on a deep team, a solid second pairing guy absolutely.  He’s the best we have though....so he gets the top pair minutes.    Gardiner and Myers too.  Looks like it will be same as it ever was for a while longer...at least until Hughes is seasoned a bit.  

I can’t believe it either, do you feel dirty now?lol.  

It would be a mistake to sign him especially  with any kind trade protection. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think JB is waiting to see if there is any chance to get EK before he signs Edler.  What would our D look like if we have EK with ?Edler too, and EK without Edler?  Where does OJ fit in?  If we get Broberg at the draft, what about him in a couple years? 

EK Edler

Hughes Tanev

Stecher Hutton

Schenn

EK ?

Hughes Tanev

Stecher Hutton

Schenn

and don't forget Big Tram.. 

and I fear you are right regarding EK.. I think he would be great for a couple years, but by the time we are contending, he could be too beat up and therefore not worth the $. it's a bit risky, anyways.. 

also I wonder if the rumours that JB is 'looking to fix the D' this summer and Van is 'in on everyone' are cost control on Eddy.. 

the problem JB has right now is there are way too many if's and hopefully's concerning the D, especially at this stage of his contract. He maybe should have been in on some previous UFA's.. hindsight.. 

I believe we know what to expect from Stetcher, Tanev, Biega & Schenn - and that's not an inspiring core.. Everyone else is a bit of a wildcard. Hughes? OJ? Tryamkin? Woo? 2019 1st? how do they all work out? As it stands, we still need Edler. Does landing any of the current UFA's change that fact? If we land Karlsson, Myers or Gardiner and lose Edler, are we further ahead? not really.. And that course of action likely screws us 3 - 4 years down the road. 

But JB needs to make some kind of move, and I don't really love ANY of the ufa D choices this year.

I'm not going to lie: this combination makes me nervous. 

• Upvote 1

If he was offered that contract Benning should be fired. Why not 10 mil for 3 years with 20 mil signing bonus the first year? Or make it for 8 years, ya, and buyout proof with 95% of the salary signing bonuses and throw in a NMC too boot., oh wait he already did that and is still here.

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Edler, sure bring him back and maybe even pay him a little bonus money, but he stated he isn't interested in winning a cup or rather it would be nice but he doesn't believe in taking a chance to win one so he is here simply to fill in.

On Hughes, what happens if he can't defend? Or score? Sure he is going to get loads of PP time and play with the best players, not really have to earn the spot like Hutton or others (isn't Green the one who says all have to earn their spot?)

If Hughes can't defend they almost have to have Tanev and Edler around to play with him.

1 minute ago, Glug Datt said:

Wasn't Olli Julievi crowned a saviour and supported by some posters as "if they wait long enough he might play" a come down from "he is the next one, our stud dman, a sure thing". Seems he is left out of conversations after 3 years. Wonder where he staunch supporters are now, probably posting how bad he is.

4 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

and I fear you are right regarding EK.. I think he would be great for a couple years, but by the time we are contending, he could be too beat up and therefore not worth the $. it's a bit risky, anyways.. 

also I wonder if the rumours that JB is 'looking to fix the D' this summer and Van is 'in on everyone' are cost control on Eddy.. 

the problem JB has right now is there are way too many if's and hopefully's concerning the D, especially at this stage of his contract. He maybe should have been in on some previous UFA's.. hindsight.. 

I believe we know what to expect from Stetcher, Tanev, Biega & Schenn - and that's not an inspiring core.. Everyone else is a bit of a wildcard. Hughes? OJ? Tryamkin? Woo? 2019 1st? how do they all work out? As it stands, we still need Edler. Does landing any of the current UFA's change that fact? If we land Karlsson, Myers or Gardiner and lose Edler, are we further ahead? not really.. And that course of action likely screws us 3 - 4 years down the road. 

But JB needs to make some kind of move, and I don't really love ANY of the ufa D choices this year.

I'm not going to lie: this combination makes me nervous. 

Would be great if we could get a Chara to stabilize our D core like the Bruins did when they got Chara a decade ago.  Having that one elite D man allows the younger guys to be sheltered during their growth.  I really like EK, but you do point out his injury history.  He’s not Chara for sure.  Love to have Tryamkin back this season.  We need his presence.  

3 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Wasn't Olli Julievi crowned a saviour and supported by some posters as "if they wait long enough he might play" a come down from "he is the next one, our stud dman, a sure thing". Seems he is left out of conversations after 3 years. Wonder where he staunch supporters are now, probably posting how bad he is.

A good thing about OJ is he’s big.  I think we forget during ever regular season just how important it is for a D corps to have several big bodies to do well in the playoffs.  

I sure hope we sign Schenn.  We need him.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, The Lock said:

So you want to pay what will be a 38 year old by the end of his contract 8 mil? He's not even playing a full season now. What makes you think that will not get any worse? :lol:

And this isn't even considering what age does to skills. lol

The question is, if they don't resign him to a market contract, who do they replace him with?  No dman on the team, currently, can fill his spot.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Would be great if we could get a Chara to stabilize our D core like the Bruins did when they got Chara a decade ago.  Having that one elite D man allows the younger guys to be sheltered during their growth.  I really like EK, but you do point out his injury history.  He’s not Chara for sure.  Love to have Tryamkin back this season.  We need his presence.  

we need something, that's for sure. 

JB's comments have led me to believe something big is going to happen this summer.. it's exciting :)

29 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Couldn’t even get through the entire post.  My reply is your wrong.

Hes often injured.  Average out his last three years.  Both contract years were better then the ones before (and will be after too).   He’s 33.  Wow why would we do wait Detroit did with Kronwall, and at least he won a cup didn’t he?  It was big mistake for them. 

Your^ analysis of Myers is screwy, this guy is one of the better 5 x 5 guys in the league, gets little time on the 2nd PP unit, only if Trouba or Byfuglien are injured.  And does well when they are.  8 points and 4 goals in 16 playoff games two years ago.  How many goals did Edler score on the PP last year?  

Elder is not a solution anymore, he’s a placeholder.  I’d agree defenseman usually play well into their early thirties (ones as good as the ones you’ve listed)...and more often then people realize even their best hockey...but not much past 33.  

Edler is going to decline.  He’s going to play 60-65 games for us, that’s if we are lucky and it doesn’t get worse.  And he’s going to demand a NMC even though there would be virtually zero reason for Seattle to take him over Markstrom. 

A three or four year deal would be fine IF it factors all of these things in.  5.5-6 x 3-4 seems fair.  He’s going to wait and try and get more from us or another team no doubt.   I’d rather have Myers at 7 x 6   Add first line PP time and he’s capable of 50 plus points.   He’s got a good point shot and does everything well just nothing great...sound familiar?  More importantly he’s a RHD (which we have all of Woo in the system) and he won’t be much older then Edler is now when his contract runs out.  

Hes also played all but two games the last two years.  And playoffs.  

Id even consider Gardiner if his demands are what you said.  He’s not suited for the first  pairing but at least he will get some offense and play the games.   And won’t decline.  In fact both Garndiner and Myers best hockey could still be ahead of them where as with Edler it is most definitely not.   Makes you wonder how the past year and a bit we’ve seen a resurgence from him starting at the worlds...I don’t buy it. 

He’s worth what you say if he plays every game which he won’t.  Times it by .75 and make a contract at that wage and term and it would be fair.  He’s nothing more than a placeholder now, rather sign a vet who’s got more left in him and on the right side...or both even as long as it’s fair.

I agree with most of that, but the truth is, they don't have a better option than Edler until OJ shows us what he might be capable of.  QH will never take on Edlers role, so if it comes from within, it's got to be OJ.

• Cheers 2

Why not Gardiner instead?  His last three years he scored 30 in 60,  52 in 82 and 43 in 82, and was a tremendous plus 52 in that span (19, 9, 24).  Also for those that doubt his importance to TO after he went down they went on a dreadful losing streak and never recovered to close to early season form.

Over the last 7 years Edler has averaged 26 points.   Why does anyone think he’s STILL going to break through at his age and finally become the number one we all hoped for early on after his one off 48 point season (and that’s when we had the weapons and a number one PP).  It’s never going to happen.  

Rather have a guy whos going to play most of the games, even at a higher cost and term.  We need a better defense and can’t get it without paying for it through free agency OR with youth and prospects OR a core player in a trade.  To me this is a no brainer....Bennings going to be talking to Gardiner, Myers and Edlers camp the week before July 1....hope he doesn’t come up empty and or give in to anything too steep... 

• Upvote 1