The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Capitals may not qualify Andre Burakovsky

49 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I honestly think that Benning finds a way to off load Eriksson. He’s not happy here. He also hasn’t been contributing the wag management thought he would. Granlund I think is gonna get let go. Goldobin? Maybe you let Goldobin and Burakovksy duel it out at training camp. Burakovsky is at the very least a middle six player. Possibly depending on how he performs could be a surprise top six player and contributor. 

That still leaves Pearson, Boeser, Miller, Baertschi, Virtanen, Roussel, Motte along with Goldobin, Schaller and Spooner (who we seem to expect to simply waive, but these guys will be battling for spots at camp too) if we can even deal Eriksson without a cap dump return (because look at the cost to dump one year of Marleau without any cap dump in return) in the process and letting a versatile and cheap Granlund walk for nothing. MacEwen would love an NHL gig and Gaudette may even get a look at wing if at center is full. Now of course we could have injuries to start the year, so Burakovsky is worth a look, but is not a priority IMO as we have other depth that could get some looks as placeholders until our injured players return.

Forgot about Leivo too.

Edited by theo5789

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Replace Sutter with anyone else. I think Sutter is gone as well if Benning can find a suitor. 

No. Suttter stays - at least until Gaudette is ready and perhaps even then if Gaudette assumes a different role.

Regardless, Gaudette wasn't really NHL ready - let alone shutdown/hard minutes ready.

The guys that are gone are probably Goldobin, Spooner, Schaller, and Eriksson.

• Cheers 2

13 hours ago, babalu said:

According to wikipedia he grew up in Sweden but is of Russian decent.

I like his game and he seems like a buy low trade candidate with high upside.

Everyone is of decent......what passport he owns is the key.

I don't see where he fits in now... we have a middle 6 log jam so unless we're moving out Baer for him i don't see space, and I'm not sure we really want to do that given how Baer can produce even off a 3rd line. 

The only way I see us going for him is if we make a few moves to open up spots. If we stay put, there is no need for him. I wouldn't mind moving someone and getting Bura just based on his playoffs experience and somewhat of a heavy game. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't see where he fits in now... we have a middle 6 log jam so unless we're moving out Baer for him i don't see space, and I'm not sure we really want to do that given how Baer can produce even off a 3rd line. 

Baer can barely play 50 games a season, it's time to move on IMO. One more hit and that guys done for.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dombrova22 said:

Baer can barely play 50 games a season, it's time to move on IMO. One more hit and that guys done for.

Still could be true as every injury is different, however the same thing could have been said about Bergeron and Skinner too.  I hope he doesn't risk it, but it's possible he ends up okay and back to normal.  Let's leave it to the experts to find out.

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I agree.  Imo they now have the 'right' players on EP's wing, and at 2LW (Pearson is a very good fit for Horvat imo).

The incentive to give Burakovsky a look here imo evaporated with the Miller deal.

The UFA class being what it is, I think the Canucks were unlikely/low odds of making Burakovsky a definite no via free agency, but they did via the trade market (a better option imo than anyone in free agency, even if they could cherry pick their favorite).

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I agree.  Imo they now have the 'right' players on EP's wing, and at 2LW (Pearson is a very good fit for Horvat imo).

The incentive to give Burakovsky a look here imo evaporated with the Miller deal.

The UFA class being what it is, I think the Canucks were unlikely/low odds of making Burakovsky a definite no via free agency, but they did via the trade market (a better option imo than anyone in free agency, even if they could cherry pick their favorite).

Baer can also be on our 2nd unit PP. Not sure Bura fist that either. We need to spend on d far more. 

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Wouldn't go after Burakovsky but they should still trade Baertschi.  Canucks have too many players.  For the team to move forward they need to start building lines that make sense and have chemistry.  

1 minute ago, mll said:

Wouldn't go after Burakovsky but they should still trade Baertschi.  Canucks have too many players.  For the team to move forward they need to start building lines that make sense and have chemistry.  

I'd be fine with that. If we could move Baer and Hutton in a package that would be ideal imo but don't know where that would work. 

Bears got such great hands tho when he's on a run.... I think he's got the best shot of all the middle 6 log jam. But maybe he's had too many head shots to be tradable. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd be fine with that. If we could move Baer and Hutton in a package that would be ideal imo but don't know where that would work. 

Bears got such great hands tho when he's on a run.... I think he's got the best shot of all the middle 6 log jam. But maybe he's had too many head shots to be tradable. 

It's more that he shoots from the scoring areas and knows how to trick the goalie.  He doesn't have a great shot from afar but he has great hands in tight and the skills to send the puck in at impossible angles. 

He had the highest individual expected goals per 60 on the team last season (small sample) in all situations and handily outshot that number to also lead the team in goals per 60 (minimum 20 games).  His shooting percentage has been one of the highest in the league the past 3 seasons (top-15 min 100 games).  He doesn't shoot enough though and it could be in part the lack of fit.  

They need to find someone that fits with Gaudette's style of game and that's not Baertschi.  He's not a fit with Sutter or Beagle either.  Horvat finally found a LW.  

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, mll said:

It's more that he shoots from the scoring areas and knows how to trick the goalie.  He doesn't have a great shot from afar but he has great hands in tight and the skills to send the puck in at impossible angles. 

He had the highest individual expected goals per 60 on the team last season (small sample) in all situations and handily outshot that number to also lead the team in goals per 60 (minimum 20 games).  His shooting percentage has been one of the highest in the league the past 3 seasons (top-15 min 100 games).  He doesn't shoot enough though and it could be in part the lack of fit.  

They need to find someone that fits with Gaudette's style of game and that's not Baertschi.  He's not a fit with Sutter or Beagle either.  Horvat finally found a LW.  

I don't disagree with any of that. If we do keep him, he's still worth 15-20 goals (if healthy all year). So for the $ thats good value even if the fit not quite there. I do like him for the 2nd unit PP as well. 

19 hours ago, oldnews said:

No. Suttter stays - at least until Gaudette is ready and perhaps even then if Gaudette assumes a different role.

Regardless, Gaudette wasn't really NHL ready - let alone shutdown/hard minutes ready.

The guys that are gone are probably Goldobin, Spooner, Schaller, and Eriksson.

I'm not convinced the first three are gone - yet. Eriksson, yes - his replacement is either Miller or Pearson.

Schaller's contract will expire pretty soon and it's not very expensive so he could still hang around.

Goldobin is a RFA with not a huge amount of bargaining power, with prior experience with Petterson/Horvat, but he absolutely has to light it up this season or else, yes, he'll be gone.

Spooner could surprise still, which would be great. Eriksson's time is for sure done though.

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I'm not convinced the first three are gone - yet. Eriksson, yes - his replacement is either Miller or Pearson.

Schaller's contract will expire pretty soon and it's not very expensive so he could still hang around.

Goldobin is a RFA with not a huge amount of bargaining power, with prior experience with Petterson/Horvat, but he absolutely has to light it up this season or else, yes, he'll be gone.

Spooner could surprise still, which would be great. Eriksson's time is for sure done though.

yeah, but there isn't roster space for any of them unless they uptick their performance considerably - so by 'gone' I mean waivers if not dealt - because as it stands imo there are better players to be pencilled in at this point.  If one or more of them surprise us great, but if that decision were today, for me, those are the guys on the out whatever form that takes.

9 minutes ago, Brocklovich said:

Benning should try to offload Hutton for Burakovsky if he doesn't plan on keeping him around

Washington might lose him because of cap space.

Hutton wants $4m+.

Draw your own conclusions.

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't disagree with any of that. If we do keep him, he's still worth 15-20 goals (if healthy all year). So for the $ thats good value even if the fit not quite there. I do like him for the 2nd unit PP as well. 

It's not efficient to have players in roles that don't fit their skillset.  They'll just lose their confidence and are unlikely to produce.  If they don't fit on the team just move on. 

Also the game is getting so much faster.  Speed is not just skating speed.  It's also playing tape-to-tape with pace and anticipating plays.  Hold on to the puck longer to figure out what your teammate is doing, or needing more time to settle the puck because it's not coming cleanly, and the opponent is already on you. There's no room to buy time when there's no chemistry.