Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

27 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Dude's a maniac. Love this kid already!

Hoglander - Horvat - Virtanen

Baertschi - Gaudette - Leivo

Roussel - Beagle - Motte/MacEwen

I'd enjoy a bottom-3 lines looking about like this, as early as next season. Lots of youth, speed & attitude

Swap Leivo for Ferk and I'm good.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Dude's a maniac. Love this kid already!

Hoglander - Horvat - Virtanen

Baertschi - Gaudette - Leivo

Roussel - Beagle - Motte/MacEwen

I'd enjoy a bottom-3 lines looking about like this, as early as next season. Lots of youth, speed & attitude

I dunno if I am sold on Gaudette at C. Hasn't proven that he can win draws or play good enough defensively.

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

As wks roll by JYD, I bet we'll all be sold on the kid..just a beauty

Offensively sure.

30% on draws isn't gonna cut it and he hasn't been deployed in any sort of defensive role/PK role he is gonna need to play in order to take up Sutter's responsibilities. So he isn't getting any experience at it and it looks like he can't be trusted in that sort of role. Hell with Beagle and Sutter out we still don't see him out on the PK. They slotted in Eriksson and Miller instead.

Personally I just feel he is more of a winger. That's where he'll have the most success since he won't have to worry about the responsibilities a bottom 6 center will have and he'll be capable of being a top 6 winger for us.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Personally @Nuxfanabroad I just want to put Gaudette in a position where he'll have the most success. He's a real nice fit as the 2nd RW and we all know Horvat needs a winger.

We'll have to sign/draft a 3rd C when Sutter is gone but it is easier to find those than a top 6 RW.

That said if he did adopt Sutter's defensive and faceoff skill set on top of his offense i'd love that but I haven't seen how he will given how he has been utilized. 

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Personally @Nuxfanabroad I just want to put Gaudette in a position where he'll have the most success. He's a real nice fit as the 2nd RW and we all know Horvat needs a winger.

We'll have to sign/draft a 3rd C when Sutter is gone but it is easier to find those than a top 6 RW.

That said if he did adopt Sutter's defensive and faceoff skill set on top of his offense i'd love that but I haven't seen how he will given how he has been utilized. 

The way we've been drafting, we should mostly remain optimistic. Might be AG, Madden, Focht, or another? So nice to have a wealth of kids to keep tabs on.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

He has 1 assist and is a -3 in 14 

Um no. He has 3 goals and 1 assist so 4pts in 14 games...

Most he was on over a .5ppg pace before his suspension. 

Have you watched his games?

I have

Post suspension hes playing not as aggressive...probably was told to a bit.

Watch pre and post games.

And he is way more talented....its how he can play at that level against men in a kids body.

If he had a 22 or 23 year old body...... domination.

Hes got tons more skill and creativity than those boys.... I stand by what I said hes bored

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Snapshot85 said:

I have

And he is way more talented....its how he can play at that level against men in a kids body.

Hes got tons more skill and creativity than those boys.... I stand by what I said hes bored

Hogs already has the body of a 22/23 y/o. He’s built really well. If anything him getting older would be huge for his hockey IQ but isn’t going to change his physique much.

14 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

Hogs already has the body of a 22/23 y/o. He’s built really well. If anything him getting older would be huge for his hockey IQ but isn’t going to change his physique much.

Um no. 

I agree guys a brick $%^& house.... but hes a 19yr old.

In another 3 or 4 years his body will mature.

Yes he will get heavier....yes he will get stronger.

19 is 19 no matter how you slice it..

His hockey IQ is already high...

It's how he plays shl  productively at 19.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Snapshot85 said:

Um no. 

I agree guys a brick $%^& house.... but hes a 19yr old.

In another 3 or 4 years his body will mature.

Yes he will get heavier....yes he will get stronger.

19 is 19 no matter how you slice it..

His hockey IQ is already high...

It's how he plays shl  productively at 19.

I don’t think he’s gonna get much heavier. Some guys mature really early and he’s very close to his physical peak already.. he’s listed at 5’9 190lbs. Guys like brad Marchand 5’9 170 or Kane 5’10 177 are a lot lighter and full time nhlers.

If he was 22 he’d have better numbers in the SHL but it would be a result of his growth as a hockey player and person not a result of physical growth of height or weight..

3 hours ago, Snapshot85 said:

I have

Are you suggesting that him being bored is a positive because he's not being challenged enough? Being bored is a sign of lack of focus IMO. You want to be the best, then you give it your all every night and prove you're the best. If he thinks he's above everyone else without needing to prove it, then that's a character flaw which seems like it goes against Benning and crew's drafting mantra.

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Are you suggesting that him being bored is a positive because he's not being challenged enough? Being bored is a sign of lack of focus IMO. You want to be the best, then you give it your all every night and prove you're the best. If he thinks he's above everyone else without needing to prove it, then that's a character flaw which seems like it goes against Benning and crew's drafting mantra.

With due respect

I dont believe you get to a professional level of hockey before age 20 with a lack of focus. 

His boredom is caused by a lack of challange.... that is why in my opinion hes getting cute in his plays....like the lacrosse goal. Hes taking his creativity to extreames to challange himself and make it fun.

The kids u20 stats are close to petterssons....I'm not saying hes as good as petty .... just saying its alot of elite skill.

So no boredom is not a positive.... but the underlying cause is. 

Just my opinion

There’s a reason he fell to #40 in the draft, so of course there’s areas he needs to improve. 

That said - of course he should’ve dumped the puck in the corner and went for a line change instead of trying that selfish zorro play again ;-)

His pre suspension numbers were very diffrent....and so was they way he played.

I admit it will be intresting to see what happens over the course of the year.

I also want you to watch some tape..

And ask yourself what a 19 year old hoglander would look like in the chl... after dominating super elite at 17

6 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

I don’t think he’s gonna get much heavier. Some guys mature really early and he’s very close to his physical peak already.. he’s listed at 5’9 190lbs. Guys like brad Marchand 5’9 170 or Kane 5’10 177 are a lot lighter and full time nhlers.

If he was 22 he’d have better numbers in the SHL but it would be a result of his growth as a hockey player and person not a result of physical growth of height or weight..

Maybe not much heavier....but stronger defenitly.... hes more max domi than kane.

6 hours ago, Snapshot85 said:

With due respect

I dont believe you get to a professional level of hockey before age 20 with a lack of focus. 

His boredom is caused by a lack of challange.... that is why in my opinion hes getting cute in his plays....like the lacrosse goal. Hes taking his creativity to extreames to challange himself and make it fun.

The kids u20 stats are close to petterssons....I'm not saying hes as good as petty .... just saying its alot of elite skill.

Just my opinion

I agree that he has a ton of skill, but the mental game is a whole different battle. Robbie Schremp had a ton of skill and did those dipsy doodle plays, but never got to the next level. Perry's focus and determination were next level even when he got to the SHL and dominated the league.

What happens when he gets here, doesn't win a spot out of camp and gets sent to the AHL? Will he get bored? He needs to keep focused and while it shows crazy skill that he can pull some moves in game, that's not what is going to get him to the NHL. I'm not writing him off, but I sure hope he isn't "bored" as that's not a good sign IMO. He should be focused on being the best he can be no matter where he is to earn himself that next level opportunity. I enjoy the highlights, but at the end of the day, he needs to produce and play a strong game overall.

6 hours ago, Snapshot85 said:

With due respect

Just my opinion

I agree that he has a ton of skill, but the mental game is a whole different battle. Robbie Schremp had a ton of skill and did those dipsy doodle plays, but never got to the next level. Perry's focus and determination were next level even when he got to the SHL and dominated the league.

What happens when he gets here, doesn't win a spot out of camp and gets sent to the AHL? Will he get bored? He needs to keep focused and while it shows crazy skill that he can pull some moves in game, that's not what is going to get him to the NHL. I'm not writing him off, but I sure hope he isn't "bored" as that's not a good sign IMO. He should be focused on being the best he can be no matter where he is to earn himself that next level opportunity. I enjoy the highlights, but at the end of the day, he needs to produce and play a strong game overall (which I'm not saying he isn't, but that should be his primary focus).