The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

31 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

They can’t score and that’s been the problem for years.   Last year was an anomoly with the Pacific division being so poor don’t expect that again this year.  As well speculating on growth from all the young players on the stat sheet is not a safe bet.   I don’t see where an extra 50 goals is going to come from. It’s not like StLouis where they appeared to come from out of no where as they were already a fully developed team

You raise a good point about needing more goals.  I think JB believes his young core guys are going to increase the goals.  Plus, the additions of Miller and Myers will help too.  Also I think JB knows our goals against will go down.  So it’s a combination of more goals for and less against.  We lost a lot of low scoring one goal games last season.  I see that turning in favour of us this year, and years to come. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, chilliwiggins said:

They can’t score and that’s been the problem for years.   Last year was an anomoly with the Pacific division being so poor don’t expect that again this year.  As well speculating on growth from all the young players on the stat sheet is not a safe bet.   I don’t see where an extra 50 goals is going to come from. It’s not like StLouis where they appeared to come from out of no where as they were already a fully developed team

They can score when healthy and they showed us that last year. They scored 4 or more goals in a game 25 times last year. They just didnt have enough secondary scoring or the defense to produce when they had injuries so the consistency wasnt there. Hughes and Myers will help offensively and Benn rounds out that third pair. Adding Miller is a solid piece who'll get you 20-25 goals while playing a heavy game which should help Petey and Boes. Is this team perfect, not at all. Are we a bottom feeder, not a chance. I'd put us as a middle of the pack team with a solid young core.  This is the year when  all the glass half empty fans should fill up there cups and jump back on the bandwagon. This teams only getting started and will be one of the most exciting teams to watch in the future. Thats a guarantee!

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Myers can score but he has a lot of holes in his defense

Not quite as bad as Gardiner/Hutton.

I feel like there's a reason why these two players aren't very highly sought after. Everyone knows what they're about.

55 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And here is where we differ.  Having Petey and Hughes emerge as true superstars is what changed to direction, not Benning’s contract. 

Hughes isn't a sure thing yet, but the 5 games sure made it look like he's ready to be a star. Hughes taking a step along with Pettersson's sudden explosion has dramatically accelerated our rebuild.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 7/6/2019 at 8:18 AM, Alflives said:

With elite guys getting huge dollars after their ELC I think the landscape for rebuilding and competing has changed.  We have Bess now, and Petey and Hughes in two years all (likely) getting big cap dollars.  The time to compete starts now, and that will keep the window open longer.  

Yep, more than 2 high end contracts is cap trouble.  When supporting players start demanding big $, they have to go.  Just never let your core go.  It's better to have medium priced support like JT Miller.

Why is Toronto in trouble long term?  Because they'll have 3 players over $10M, 1 at $7M and no more room.  They won't be able to re-sign Barrie next season (he'll be a UFA) because they'll be capped out.  They have him at half price this year.

Toronto has 1 year to win.  Barrie, Ceci, and Muzzin are all UFA next year.  2 of them will be gone and their D will be looking worse then than they were last year.  

So it's better to keep your core at a reasonable # of players and don't pay more than 2 really big $

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chilliwiggins said:

I do not believe the Canucks will make the playoffs this season as well I do not think the youth will improve as much as what everyone expects.  

We all have an opinion. IMO, I believe the Canucks are one of the few tems trhat actually improved their roster this off season. There are also a lot of teams that didn't do much, and I think could be worse.

Improved

VAN

COL

BUF

PIT

NYR

FLA

MIN

NJ

TOR

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

I do not believe the Canucks will make the playoffs this season as well I do not think the youth will improve as much as what everyone expects.  

If they stay healthy they can most definitely make the playoffs, imo

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

And I don't even particularly care if they do. I'd be perfectly happy to make the playoffs or finish in the bottom 10-15 range after a solid season from the kids and key acquisitions, finally win a lotto pick (leapfrogging a dozen or so teams) for a top 3 pick and then playoffs can come the season after ::D

Trying to figure if we can give them our 2020, even if we don’t make the playoffs.  If after the draft lottery we are picking 12 (or some number below 10) can JB give up our pick?  Or does it automatically move to 2021?  

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

We all have an opinion. IMO, I believe the Canucks are one of the few tems trhat actually improved their roster this off season. There are also a lot of teams that didn't do much, and I think could be worse.

Improved

VAN

COL

BUF

PIT

NYR

FLA

MIN

NJ

TOR

Didn’t Dallas get better?  

14 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Improved

VAN

COL

BUF

PIT

NYR

FLA

MIN

NJ

TOR

You don't think Philly is better after adding Hayes, Niskanen, and Braun?

Dallas had a big add in Pavelski. Sekera may end up a sneaky good addition too. 

Arizona got better with Kessel. And they should be better from just having some healthy players.

I don't think Toronto is necessarily much improved. They lost a lot of talent in Kadri, Gardiner, Brown, Hainsey, etc. Unless you're a big fan of Barrie - but then why is Colorado also on your list?

• Upvote 1

Article in the paper today, by Patrick Johnston. I just skimmed it, because it's garbage writing, but he was basically saying that Benning should've waited and signed Marcus Johansson instead of Miller, because Johansson is a bit cheaper and sigend for less term. And he was a free agent, didn't cost any picks. Of course, this is all hindsite and who knows if Johansson would've still been around. Benning had to sign a real good top 6 guy fast, before anyone else could get him (Miller). 

Miller hasn't even played a game here yet. Why does the media always do that? After a trade or signing happens, they negatively pick it apart. Johnasson signed with BUF already, so why go back and say Benning should've done this and that?  Canucks have Miller, and most of the fans are happy about this. Deal with it Johnston.  

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Never mind it's frankly asinine to equate the two players.

If you've got a plumbing leak in your home that requires a certain set of tools and parts, you don't bypass the proper tools and parts for some random stuff you had in the garage and some tree sap from your yard because they're 'free'. Johansson, while certainly a decent player in his own right, does not do the things they acquired Miller for.

well said

• Cheers 1